Broken Sword....Shadow Of The Templars........No sound

Ask for help with ScummVM problems

Moderator: ScummVM Team

clydevalley

Broken Sword....Shadow Of The Templars........No sound

Post by clydevalley »

Hi there

I cannot get any sound with this game. I checked the help section on this, but there was nothing to help me out.

I have tried tweaking with the settings, but still nothing

Any ideas how I can get sound? This is the only way I can get the game to run, so I need to use ScummVM.

Meg, Scotland, UK
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Re: Broken Sword....Shadow Of The Templars........No sound

Post by eriktorbjorn »

clydevalley wrote: I cannot get any sound with this game. I checked the help section on this, but there was nothing to help me out.

I have tried tweaking with the settings, but still nothing
No sound at all?

I'm asking that because, as far as I know, there are three different cases to consider:

(I've only seen the 2 CD release, not the new double pack.)
  • The music is stored as invividual WAV files in the music directory (a.k.a. folder) on the CDs.
  • The speech is stored in speech.clu. Each CD has one, but they're not identical.
  • The sound effects are stored in the same data files as most of the rest of the game data for the particular scene.
I don't remember how picky Broken Sword 1 is about missing files - in some engines, we degrade gracefully by simply not playing the sound if the sound file is missing - but at the very least, the sound effects ought to be playing.

Assuming, of course, that the volume settings in ScummVM and/or your operating system aren't muting the sound, and that the speakers are plugged in and turned on.
clydevalley

Post by clydevalley »

Hi there

Getting there slowly :) Now I have sound effects but just no speech or music.

Any ideas? I have the old 2 CD version of the game.

I'd really like speech but not concerned all that much if I don't get music.

Thanks, Meg, Scotland, UK

Everything is plugged in and working correctly
Wintermute

Post by Wintermute »

Just one guess: Did you rename the speech and music files?
As eriktorbjorn already mentioned, they are different on each CD.

Copy music.clu and speech.clu from CD 1 and rename them music1.clue and speech1.clu respectively. Do the same for the second CD and rename them music2.clu and speech2.clu.
clydevalley

Post by clydevalley »

Hi there

Being a total computer dunce, I'm unsure how to go about doing this. Any chance of a step by step guide to the renaming the files you mentioned.

Meg, Scotland, UK
Herrscher

Post by Herrscher »

clydevalley wrote:Hi there

Being a total computer dunce, I'm unsure how to go about doing this. Any chance of a step by step guide to the renaming the files you mentioned.

Meg, Scotland, UK

After you copied SPEECH.CLU from CD1 to the harddisk,

- rightclick on the file in Explorer and choose "rename",

- OR mark the file via singleclick and afterwards click again on it (no doubleclick!!)

- OR mark the file via singleclick and afterwards press F2.

Then move the cursor via the cursor keys to just behind the 'H', and press '1'. Then hit ENTER.

Then copy SPEECH.CLU from CD2 and do the same thing, just with '2' instead of '1'. ;)
clydevalley

Post by clydevalley »

Great :) thanks for that :)
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

Other things to check:

If you don't hear any music, you need to copy the WAV files from the music folders on the CDs. Some of the files appear on both CDs, but in these cases they are either identical, or close enough that it makes little difference.

If you don't see any cutscenes (e.g. the "Paris in the fall" intro), you will need to download and unzip the Broken Sword 1 cutscene pack available on the downloads page. This is because ScummVM does not, unfortunately, support the original Smacker cutscene files.
Wintermute

Post by Wintermute »

eriktorbjorn wrote:If you don't hear any music, you need to copy the WAV files from the music folders on the CDs. Some of the files appear on both CDs, but in these cases they are either identical, or close enough that it makes little difference.
Ah yes, I confounded the music part with Broken Sword II.

@clydevalley: Please ignore, what I said about music.clu. :wink:
Herrscher

Post by Herrscher »

eriktorbjorn wrote:Some of the files appear on both CDs, but in these cases they are either identical, or close enough that it makes little difference.
I remember that there was only one file which differed in size, it was nearly double as big. After checking I realized that it seemed to be the ONLY music file with doubled sampling frequency (i.e. on one disc it was in usual, on the other in doubled frequency). This means the german disc set.
Seems like a production error or something. :?

BTW: As the file format of the SPEECH.CLUs is known, is there any way to "merge" them? I'd guess that there are some speech samples twice (in either one), these could be cut out.
(As some of the music/scripts/videos is there also twice)
Don't know if this saves a lot of space, though. :?:
clem

Post by clem »

Herrscher wrote:After checking I realized that it seemed to be the ONLY music file with doubled sampling frequency (i.e. on one disc it was in usual, on the other in doubled frequency). This means the german disc set.
my guess is that they ran out of space on one CD and needed to save a bit; I could check but I'd rather play the game *goes back to playing BS1*
Herrscher wrote: BTW: As the file format of the SPEECH.CLUs is known, is there any way to "merge" them? I'd guess that there are some speech samples twice (in either one), these could be cut out.
(As some of the music/scripts/videos is there also twice)
Don't know if this saves a lot of space, though. :?:
that's an interesting idea!
Herrscher

Post by Herrscher »

clem wrote:
Herrscher wrote:After checking I realized that it seemed to be the ONLY music file with doubled sampling frequency (i.e. on one disc it was in usual, on the other in doubled frequency). This means the german disc set.
my guess is that they ran out of space on one CD and needed to save a bit; I could check but I'd rather play the game *goes back to playing BS1*
LOL :twisted:

Yes, kinda weird to talk about technical stuff when you could just play and enjoy the game... 8)

Nonetheless, this is not MY guess, as there is only ONE file (IIRC) that has - say 22 KHz instead of 11. As both discs have 580 MB or something they could keep far more files at 22 KHz.
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

Herrscher wrote: I remember that there was only one file which differed in size, it was nearly double as big. After checking I realized that it seemed to be the ONLY music file with doubled sampling frequency (i.e. on one disc it was in usual, on the other in doubled frequency). This means the german disc set.
I can't check at the moment, but from my recollection there was one music file that appeared on both CDs that wasn't identical, and that was the music for the "control panel" (options dialog, save/restore, ...)

It sounded like two different takes of the same music cue (the flute part was slightly different, I think), but it didn't occur to me to compare the size and sample rate.
Wintermute

Post by Wintermute »

Herrscher wrote: As both discs have 580 MB or something they could keep far more files at 22 KHz.
I always thought that it was a shame, that the quality of the music files was so low - especially since they used a film like score for this game.

Since the ScummVM Team has good ties to Revolution Software: Do there still exist the original recordings from the music? If so this could make a real great addition for this game. :wink: