Simon the Sorcerer Enhanced Music

Ask for help with ScummVM problems

Moderator: ScummVM Team

joelphilippage

Simon the Sorcerer Enhanced Music

Post by joelphilippage »

Sorry if this is a stupid question. I don't really understand ScummVM very much. Ok I am trying to get the enhanced music for Simon the Sorcerer to work but can't figure out how to get it to work. I have copied the ogg files to the game folder but cant figure out how to use them.
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Re: Simon the Sorcerer Enhanced Music

Post by eriktorbjorn »

joelphilippage wrote:Sorry if this is a stupid question. I don't really understand ScummVM very much. Ok I am trying to get the enhanced music for Simon the Sorcerer to work but can't figure out how to get it to work. I have copied the ogg files to the game folder but cant figure out how to use them.
I haven't tried it myself yet, but you should be able to just put the files in the same directory as the rest of the Simon the Sorcerer 1 data files.

Of course, you also need the development version of ScummVM. The stable version does not have any support for it.
Raziel
ScummVM Porter

Post by Raziel »

Which platform?
Which OS?
(Forum rule 3a)

What exactly isn't working?

Is there music after you copied the enhanced files?
Does the game start at all?

There is a bugtracker item on the enhanced tracks, does it cover your problem?
joelphilippage

Post by joelphilippage »

I'm using scummVM 0.9.1
The big problem is I don't know how to use the music.
it says "Start the ScummVM program and select Simon the Sorcerer. Now select [Edit Game…], switch to Audio tab and set Sample Rate to 44 kHz." in the instructions and I have looked all over in the audio tab and there is nothing that I can set to 44 kHz. Do I need to use a different version?
md5
ScummVM Developer

Post by md5 »

As eriktorbjorn already said, you need the latest SVN version of ScummVM, not 0.9.1. The latest SVN version, which is updated daily, can be found here:
http://www.scummvm.org/downloads.php#SVN
JamesWoodcock

Post by JamesWoodcock »

As mentioned you need the latest SVN version for the soundtrack to work. Earlier versions just ignore the presence of my ogg external audio files otherwise.

For anyone else curious what this is about, click the link below:
http://www.jameswoodcock.co.uk/?page_id=954
joelphilippage

Post by joelphilippage »

Oh thanks I didn't realize that. It's working now.
Smothermunchie

Post by Smothermunchie »

For my first post I just want to say that this music enhancement project is just incredible. Absolutely wonderful.

Awesome respect for the work that was put into the soundtrack.

I do have a question though.

It runs perfect on my computer, but I would much rather play this on my Xbox version of Scummvmx - v0.80 WIP.

I don't know the first thing about sound compression or where to start.

Please point me in the right direction.

Thank you very much.
clem

Post by clem »

Smothermunchie wrote: It runs perfect on my computer, but I would much rather play this on my Xbox version of Scummvmx - v0.80 WIP.

I don't know the first thing about sound compression or where to start.

Please point me in the right direction.
you will need a newer ScummVM version since 0.8.0 or the likes do not have support for external audio tracks for non-CD games yet - no idea if such a version exists for the Xbox, since that's not an official port
md5 wrote:As eriktorbjorn already said, you need the latest SVN version of ScummVM, not 0.9.1.
JamesWoodcock

Post by JamesWoodcock »

Smothermunchie wrote:For my first post I just want to say that this music enhancement project is just incredible. Absolutely wonderful.

Awesome respect for the work that was put into the soundtrack.
Great glad you like the soundtrack :)
Smothermunchie

Post by Smothermunchie »

Hey guys.

In the Xbox version of Scumm, these are my only options for Audio.

No Music
Adlib
FM Towns
Pc Speaker
ABM PC jr
Fluid Synth
MT-32

There is no option for frequency or anything else.

Is it possible to just convert these .ogg files?

If so, what do I convert them to and what would be the best (easiest) program to do so.

Thank you very much. :)
md5
ScummVM Developer

Post by md5 »

There is no official port of ScummVM for the XBox, therefore the version you got is NOT from the ScummVM homepage, thus there is no support for it

There is a separate project, called ScummVM XNA, where its author is trying to rewrite the whole project into C# to make it work under XBox

If you're talking about ScummVMx, it's based on an old version of ScummVM (0.6.0 afaik), therefore it's very unlikely it'll have support for those enhanced music tracks, as they have been added very recently (in the latest 0.10.0 SVN version)

For more information, check here:
http://forums.scummvm.org/viewtopic.php?t=59
http://forums.scummvm.org/viewtopic.php?t=189
http://forums.scummvm.org/viewtopic.php?t=2060

Edit: Just saw you're talking about ScummVMx indeed, so it's not possible to use those audio tracks with it, as it's based on a pretty old version
Smothermunchie

Post by Smothermunchie »

Ah nuts. And I was in such a good mood.

I seriously thought that in order to have the Xbox port of Scumm be able to play those incredible music updates for Simon was to simply convert those files to something more compatible with it.

Then depression sets in..... :cry:
Smothermunchie

Post by Smothermunchie »

Just to be clear on this.

If I were to convert those .ogg music files to .mp3, it still would not work?

Also, does the DS port of Scumm support this music upgrade?

Thanks.
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

Smothermunchie wrote:Just to be clear on this.

If I were to convert those .ogg music files to .mp3, it still would not work?
Short answer: No, it would definitely not work.

Longer answer: The original music for the first two Simon the Sorcerer games is MIDI. The format of the enhanced music doesn't matter at all. Until the quite recent change, ScummVM simply had no reason whatsoever to look outside of the original game data files for it. So it didn't.

It wasn't until in-progress support was added for Simon the Sorcerer's Puzzle Pack (long after 0.9.x) that the AGOS engine gained any support for digital music at all, and it's handled quite differently from the enhanced Simon music.

(The Feeble Files doesn't even have music outside of the cutscene movies.)

Of course, someone could take the ScummVM 0.8.0 source and backport this particular feature to it. But the chances of anyone actually doing that seem microscopic to me.