Building ScummVM with Fluidsynth-support... how?

Ask for help with ScummVM problems

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Laserschwert

Building ScummVM with Fluidsynth-support... how?

Post by Laserschwert »

As the title suggests I'm looking for some info on how to build ScummVM with Fluidsynth's support for SoundFonts (sf2-files). Or maybe someone has already copiled a build? Or maybe it's already included in the regular ScummVM-releases, and I'm just too stupid to get it to work? Selecting a soundfont in ScummVM's soundfont-field doesn't do anything as far as I can tell.

The main problem is, that I know jack-sh** about compiling, so I'll need some help with it.

I have found a Win32-build of Fluidsynth, but apart from loading a soundfont into it, I don't know how to connect it to any programs (or Windows itself).
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Re: Building ScummVM with Fluidsynth-support... how?

Post by eriktorbjorn »

Laserschwert wrote: I have found a Win32-build of Fluidsynth, but apart from loading a soundfont into it, I don't know how to connect it to any programs (or Windows itself).
That's probably the standalone program. To build the FluidSynth sound driver, you need libfluidsynth. There was a time when I was regularly compiling ScummVM under Windows, but I never managed to get libfluidsynth to work there. Perhaps someone else has?
Jimbob

Post by Jimbob »

I don't use Windows but I know it was a major pain to get FluidSynth support compiled into the Mac OS X version of ScummVM. After I finally got it working I never used it ..... I used the Quicktime or CoreAudio audio settings.

I recently wiped and reinstalled my OS but I won't bother reinstalling FluidSynth again.
paolito

Post by paolito »

Adding Fluidsynth support to ScummVM is pretty straightforward once you manage to compile it yourself. I played with ScummVM+Fluidsynth several month ago and as far as I remember had no troubles (WinXP, Visual C++ 2005). So if you are really into it start with plain ScummVM compilation.

The question is whether it is worth the effort. Even with Fluidsynth emulator running you still need soundfont bank to load into it. All banks I tried out sounded more or less imbalanced (some intruments exaggerated, others almost inaudible). In adition some banks were unusable due to distorted playback (later versions of Fuidsynth were more prone I think).

If you are looking for an easy way to "improve" music playback on Windows install Timidity emulator as default Windows MIDI playback device (and set ScummVM to use Windows MIDI).