Scumm VM and Windows Vista?

Ask for help with ScummVM problems

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Naduah21

Scumm VM and Windows Vista?

Post by Naduah21 »

HI,
does anyone know if Scumm VM runs with Windows Vista??

Thanx!
clone2727
Retired

Post by clone2727 »

Why not?
PsYcO
Got 2 warnings

Post by PsYcO »

clone2727 wrote:Why not?
theres alot of unstable programs
Naduah21

Scumm VM and Vista

Post by Naduah21 »

Did anyone already try to install Scumm Vm with Vista? Yes, there are a lot of unstable programs and I thought there might be a Scumm VM for especially for Vista...???
clem

Re: Scumm VM and Vista

Post by clem »

Naduah21 wrote:Did anyone already try to install Scumm Vm with Vista? Yes, there are a lot of unstable programs and I thought there might be a Scumm VM for especially for Vista...???
why don't you try it and tell us?
fingolfin
Retired

Post by fingolfin »

Yeah, just try it. We are very unlikely to produce a version specific to Vista, unless Vista users start turning up and reporting problems. Which hasn't been the case so far.
df
ScummVM Developer

Post by df »

even then it would probably be an SDL issue than anything else.
Sertile

Post by Sertile »

I just got a new laptop with Vista Home Premium. The first thing I did with it was install scummvm and try running some of my old Lucasarts games. Scummvm seems to run flawlessly, as did all the games I've tested so far (COMI, Sam & Max, and Maniac Mansion)!
tobybear

Post by tobybear »

I too can confirm that ScummVM worked flawlessly under Vista so far with my games.

Cheers

Toby
tobybear

Post by tobybear »

I too can confirm that ScummVM worked flawlessly under Vista so far with my games - as most of the other SDL stuff I tried.

Cheers

Toby
Thauran

Post by Thauran »

It works under Vista... however, I found that if you want to save games and such, you have to run it as an administrator. Just right-click on it and choose 'Run as administrator'. Otherwise (at least in Broken Sword 1) you can’t save your progress. This should probably be added to the readme.

Thauran
clem

Post by clem »

Thauran wrote:It works under Vista... however, I found that if you want to save games and such, you have to run it as an administrator. Just right-click on it and choose 'Run as administrator'. Otherwise (at least in Broken Sword 1) you can’t save your progress. This should probably be added to the readme.
I'm still on XP, but my guess is that ScummVM just tries to save to an area where there are no write permissions for a normal user?
Thauran

Post by Thauran »

clem wrote:I'm still on XP, but my guess is that ScummVM just tries to save to an area where there are no write permissions for a normal user?
Yeah, I think that's it. Vista has a lot of that security stuff. Anyway, you just have to right-click the ScummVM-icon, and go to properties - advanced, and then hook off the 'Run as admin'-box there... then it will always be run as admin.

This should probably be known to Vista-users though, so people who are slightly bright should figure it out by themselves... but thought I'd mention it anyway.

These old games are so damned good!
clem

Post by clem »

... or you just point the save directory to a place where the user can save to :)

what's the point of having different privileges for different programs when in the end you run anything as "root" anyways