Gobliins 2 Sound

Ask for help with ScummVM problems

Moderator: ScummVM Team

exofreeze
Banned

Gobliins 2 Sound

Post by exofreeze »

When I run Gobliins 2 I immediately get really bad static, and it seems to stay throughout the game. Is this a universal problem with the game engine still under development, or just an issue with my configuration?
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Re: Gobliins 2 Sound

Post by eriktorbjorn »

exofreeze wrote:When I run Gobliins 2 I immediately get really bad static, and it seems to stay throughout the game. Is this a universal problem with the game engine still under development, or just an issue with my configuration?
The only thing I can think of that would play constantly (at least in the PC CD version) is the CD audio track. But I don't know why that would be played as static.
exofreeze
Banned

Post by exofreeze »

So there aren't immediate sound problems with the Gobliins 2 game? I'll try recopying the files from my CD and see what happens.
Collector

Post by Collector »

I, too was having a problem with static. When played from the CD, the audio was fine, but no graphics. When I ripped the audio track to my hard drive with Audiograbber the graphics would show, but the audio was garbled with a lot of static, no matter if uncompressed wave file or compressed. I finally re-ripped with ISO Buster and got a good rip.
Cirion81

Post by Cirion81 »

Hi,

I've heard before of the static effect - this happens when using a big-endian soundfile on a little-endian pc (or vice versa). If you google for it I am sure you will find multiple converters for your ripped wav files.
If you want to know what big-endian / little endian means, wikipedia is your friend ;-)
Reckless

Post by Reckless »

Collector wrote:I, too was having a problem with static. When played from the CD, the audio was fine, but no graphics. When I ripped the audio track to my hard drive with Audiograbber the graphics would show, but the audio was garbled with a lot of static, no matter if uncompressed wave file or compressed. I finally re-ripped with ISO Buster and got a good rip.
The graphics not showing when playing with CD was fixed under bug 1619330
Collector

Post by Collector »

I didn't report it in the bug tracker since it was already entered. Besides, I prefer to use ripped audio tracks. This has always solved sync issues for me that seem so common with CD audio games on XP, even using ScummVM. It also eliminates the need to drag out the CD every time.
exofreeze
Banned

Post by exofreeze »

Sure enough - it was just a bad audio rip from audiograbber. I never even though to just listen to the sound file to see if the static was present there or not... doh! Thanks guys!