scummVM cannot find Monkey Island 2

Ask for help with ScummVM problems

Moderator: ScummVM Team

ChineseFood

scummVM cannot find Monkey Island 2

Post by ChineseFood »

I can't seem to get Monkey Island 2 to run. My OS is Windows XP Home and I have a five disk set of Monkey Island 2 for "Macintosh II Series, LC, and Quadra".

ScummVM can't find the game when I use "Add Game."

In the folder I have moved the disk's contents to I have:
Desktop.bin
Monkey2 Disk2.bin
Monkey2 Disk3.bin
Monkey2 Disk4.bin
Monkey2 Disk5.bin
Monkey2.bin

I have a feeling the problem is more with HVFexplorer than SVM itself. I tried changing the file names to .00#s but that didn't work. What should I do?
PsYcO
Got 2 warnings

Post by PsYcO »

ok, well... first of all its obviously an ISO(image) ScummVM team would say well, go and buy it, i assume... however ill tell you

you require a .que file to burn to CD and you dont seem to have any...
secondly, MI2 is a small game(by today's standards) and shouldn't fill 5 disc's... so its probably a dud(though im not a mac genius, so i dont know if .bin is a valid file extension for it)

my best advise for you is buy a copy from ebay or something, asuming ofc that that is a download
ChineseFood

Post by ChineseFood »

PsYcO wrote:ok, well... first of all its obviously an ISO(image)

What is obviously an image?
PsYcO wrote:ScummVM team would say well, go and buy it, i assume... however ill tell you
The program has been bought. Unfortunately, it's a Mac version. Now I need to get it running somehow.
PsYcO wrote:you require a .que file to burn to CD and you dont seem to have any...
secondly, MI2 is a small game(by today's standards) and shouldn't fill 5 disc's... so its probably a dud(though im not a mac genius, so i dont know if .bin is a valid file extension for it)

Do I need to burn to CD to get my program running? That doesn't make much sense to me. Don't lots of old games fill up tons of floppy discs? The .bin files are the result of HVExplorer's Mac to PC file conversion.
PsYcO
Got 2 warnings

Post by PsYcO »

so, you have the original floppys? for the mac?..

yes?,. ok *i think* ScummVM supports them so make a folder(on your desktop say) and copy the contents of the 5 floppys into it... then try again tell me what you get
ChineseFood

Post by ChineseFood »

I do have the original discs and they are for the mac. But the contents could only be copied using HVExplorer because Windows doesn't like the Mac formatted disks until I use a converter. Instead of giving me .000 through .00# files, I got .bins.

HVExplorer is from http://home.earthlink.net/~gamba2/pc2mac.html
which I found in the wiki at
http://wiki.scummvm.org/index.php/HOWTO-Mac_Games
PsYcO
Got 2 warnings

Post by PsYcO »

well its only 1 disc...

as a matter of fact its only 9MB, so why does it need 5 discs?

Code: Select all

ADLIB.IMS
MONKEY2.000
MONKEY2.001
MONKEY2.EXE
ROL_330.IMS
ROL_332.IMS
ROL_334.IMS
ROL_336.IMS
ROLAND.IMS
SOUNBLAS.IMS
SPEAKER.IMS
thats what i have, for the windows/pc version

theres something wrong with your CD/conversion if you ask me
ChineseFood

Post by ChineseFood »

Perhaps the disks are 1.44MB disks and this version is smaller or compressed.

Does anyone know another way to convert the files?
PsYcO
Got 2 warnings

Post by PsYcO »

you meen larger?
and what disc has 1.44mbs? i thought they were all 700mb/4.4g

but like i said, there's something very wrong with you conversion, they seem to be image files(like a .zip, but ready to burn to disc - self extracted when you burn it - but you have to select the burn image from the menu for it to work properly)

what are the files on the CD, before you convert them?
asuming that you have a mac, you could just copy the files using that then, reburn/copy them to your pc... im sure that would be so much easyer
Raziel
ScummVM Porter

Post by Raziel »

PsYcO wrote:you meen larger?
and what disc has 1.44mbs? i thought they were all 700mb/4.4g

but like i said, there's something very wrong with you conversion, they seem to be image files(like a .zip, but ready to burn to disc - self extracted when you burn it - but you have to select the burn image from the menu for it to work properly)

what are the files on the CD, before you convert them?
asuming that you have a mac, you could just copy the files using that then, reburn/copy them to your pc... im sure that would be so much easyer
Errr...i don´t think you get it :-)

You are talking of CD´s, they are talking of disk(ettes) and how to get the data from them...
fingolfin
Retired

Post by fingolfin »

Please ignore PsYco in this thread -- while he certainly is meaning well, everything he said so far has been total rubbish :-).

9 MB for 5 *floppy discs* each containing at most 1.4 MB sounds OK, after decompression.
The number of MONKEY2.00? files corresponds to the number of discs (+1), so for a CD version, there are two files, for a 5 floppy version, there are more -- that, too, is fine.

As for HVFExplorer giving you bins: I never used it myself (being a Mac user), but let me try to guess a bit around anyway... Does HVExplorer show you these .bin files as *content* of the floppies? Or what? Those files look like disc images (but *not* the CUE/BIN format used for CDs -- that, too, was nonsense). Or, it's MacBinary encoded data (this typical Mac format used the suffix .bin a decade before CUE/BIN was created).

Did you follow the HFVExplorer instructions *step by step* as given in our Wiki?

It it unlikely that the floppies contain that data directly, w/o containing an extractor program. So, I'd look a bit around in HFVExplorer if I was you. If you really can't find out how to copy individual files from the discs, as opposed to making copies of the *whole* discs, the only idea that remains is that you could download "Stuffit Expander for Windows" (there used to be a free light version of that), and try whether it can decode the *.bin files.
ChineseFood

Post by ChineseFood »

fingolfin wrote:As for HVFExplorer giving you bins: I never used it myself (being a Mac user), but let me try to guess a bit around anyway... Does HVExplorer show you these .bin files as *content* of the floppies? Or what? Those files look like disc images (but *not* the CUE/BIN format used for CDs -- that, too, was nonsense). Or, it's MacBinary encoded data (this typical Mac format used the suffix .bin a decade before CUE/BIN was created).
HVExplorer lists 2 files on each floppy. One of them is a small file named "Desktop". "Desktop" is a small file on each disk and I imagine it is some kind of icon. The only other file is known as Monkey2 Disk# (or just Monkey2 on the first disk) and seems to have no file extension. The .bin files are the result of the programs default conversion as described in the wiki.
fingolfin wrote:Did you follow the HFVExplorer instructions *step by step* as given in our Wiki?
I did to a point. It told me to "get the 'HFV Explorer installer' rather than the zip file." I couldn't because there is only a 404 error in the installer itself. I got the zip file (which should be the same thing).
fingolfin wrote:It it unlikely that the floppies contain that data directly, w/o containing an extractor program. So, I'd look a bit around in HFVExplorer if I was you. If you really can't find out how to copy individual files from the discs, as opposed to making copies of the *whole* discs, the only idea that remains is that you could download "Stuffit Expander for Windows" (there used to be a free light version of that), and try whether it can decode the *.bin files.
Stuffit Expander? ...Googling..
fingolfin
Retired

Post by fingolfin »

ChineseFood wrote:HVExplorer lists 2 files on each floppy. One of them is a small file named "Desktop". "Desktop" is a small file on each disk and I imagine it is some kind of icon.
Probably the "desktop database", which indeed caches file icons (which are normally stored in the resource fork of programs, though), and other information.
ChineseFood wrote:The only other file is known as Monkey2 Disk# (or just Monkey2 on the first disk) and seems to have no file extension. The .bin files are the result of the programs default conversion as described in the wiki.
Maybe the first file then is an installer (or a self-extracting archive, called ".sea" on macs), and the other files contain compressed game data to be installed on HD. Unfortunately I don't own the MI2 mac floppy version, so i can't verify that. If that is the case then *,aybe* Stuffit Expander can help you there: http://www.stuffit.com/win/expander/
PsYcO
Got 2 warnings

Post by PsYcO »

fingolfin wrote:Please ignore PsYco in this thread -- while he certainly is meaning well, everything he said so far has been total rubbish :-).
sorry:( just no-one else was helping him so i thought i would give it a shot

on the brightside, i have an idea

when you read the discs with a mac do you get different file names?
asuming that you do... maybe what the program is doing is putting them inside an archive? in witch case you need to find a way to extract them...

if this is not the case and you get the same file names(this hinges on an installer type thing) so anyway...
if you have 1 file on 1 disc, its possible that it is an older version of the WinRar multi archive thing - file extensions include .p01 .p02 ect with a .svg(not sure about this one though)... if this is the case then the mac probably extracts the archives when installing, to get around that you'll have to find the mac equilivant for winrar... i asumme

tell me if im talking BS again though;) but, be warned im not brilliant at getting my thoughts out onto paper/computer
ChineseFood wrote:HVExplorer lists 2 files on each floppy. One of them is a small file named "Desktop". "Desktop" is a small file on each disk and I imagine it is some kind of icon. The only other file is known as Monkey2 Disk# (or just Monkey2 on the first disk) and seems to have no file extension. The .bin files are the result of the programs default conversion as described in the wiki.
ah yes, i think its part of a larger archive
ChineseFood

Post by ChineseFood »

I converted the .bin files using both the default double click included with StuffIt and the Expander. The default double click gave me .sit files with the same name as the originals. The Expander gave me the same thing but without file extentions. (The files are listed as File type files)

ScummVM still cant find it.

Here are the installation instructions that came with the program:
(Typed, not pasted)
GETTING STARTED
First, make backup copies of all disks and put the originals in a safe place. The disks are not copy-protected, so to copy them, just follow the instructions that came with your computer.
Monkey Island 2: LeChuck's Revenge will need at least 10 megabytes of hard drive storage (plus approximately 50K per saved game). The game requires 2 megs of available RAM in order to run smoothly.
:!: The files for Monkey Island 2: LeChuck's Revenge have been compressed in order to optimize disk storage. You will need to extract these files onto your hard drive before you can play the game. :!:
To install Monkey Island 2: LeChuck's Revenge.
1. Insert Disk 1 in your floppy disk drive and double click on the Monkey2 icon.
2. Click on Save to create the Monkey2 folder and install contents of Disk 1.
3. Eject Disk 1 and insert Disk 2, double-click on the Monkey2 Disk2 icon.
4. Select the Monkey2 folder in the scrolling window and click on save to install the contents of Disk 2.
5. Repeat steps 3 & 4 for disks 3, 4, & 5, by double-clicking on the appropriate Monkey2 iconon the screen.
Now when you open your Monkey2 folder, you should see the window shown here.
(Picture of window)
Files in window:
LeChuck's Revenge (with LeChuck icon)
iMuse Setups (with LeChuck in file with music note icon)
MONKEY2.000 (with icon that looks like a Black and White Simon game [The handheld device, not the Adventure Game])
MONKEY2.001-005 (with same icon)
(/Picture of window)
PsYcO
Got 2 warnings

Post by PsYcO »

so now you have the .000ect files?

if so, your missing an exicutible file and some of the setup files