Problem with full screen view

Ask for help with ScummVM problems

Moderator: ScummVM Team

klaw

Problem with full screen view

Post by klaw »

Hello everyone, ok I have this problem, recently I downloaded the ScummVM and I have Day of the tentacle, when I loaded it I checked the full screen option and the game tried to start but my screen went black and on to "power saving mode". The problem is that whenever I strat the scumm machine it tries to go full screen and goes off and I can't change that option, Im sure theres an easy way to fix this if anyone knows please help me :) Thanx in advance, ps I tried reinstalling the program but the same thing happens.
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Re: Problem with full screen view

Post by eriktorbjorn »

klaw wrote:Hello everyone, ok I have this problem, recently I downloaded the ScummVM and I have Day of the tentacle, when I loaded it I checked the full screen option and the game tried to start but my screen went black and on to "power saving mode". The problem is that whenever I strat the scumm machine it tries to go full screen and goes off and I can't change that option, Im sure theres an easy way to fix this if anyone knows please help me :) Thanx in advance, ps I tried reinstalling the program but the same thing happens.
I have no idea. But I know that ScummVM will try to change the screen resolution to whatever the game is using, so you might get a different result using a different scaler. (See the README file, the sections about "Graphics filters" and, and the bits about aspect ratio correction.)
klaw

Post by klaw »

OK, i've fixed this by pressing alt-enter and from there unchecking the fullscreen option, however, the colors of the game are extremelly messed up they are all green and blue bascially, can someone help me out here? thanx
clem

Post by clem »

you might have selected some weird "render mode" under the gfx options

imo the best way to fix this (who knows what else is screwed up) would be to delete the scummvm.ini which will return ScummVM to factory settings and setting it up again
Herrscher

Re: Problem with full screen view

Post by Herrscher »

klaw wrote:and the game tried to start but my screen went black and on to "power saving mode". The problem is that whenever I strat the scumm machine it tries to go full screen and goes off and I can't change that option
ScummVM uses SDL for graphics, and I guess this looks up the best refresh rate for the needed resolution from the driver, so it doesn't run in 60 Hz like many OpenGL apps in modern Windows systems. But if your driver settings are messed up for that (too high), the CRT will cut off the video signal to protect himself from destruction.
Oh, I guess a TFT would do the same when not run with 60 Hz, but I don't know, cause I don't have one.

So if for example you have overridden the refresh rates in the driver settings a year ago because you wanted to play Quake IV not in 60 Hz on your 22" CRT, but reversed the changes for most used resoultions (1024, 1280, ..) because you were buying a TFT at that time, and nowadays try ScummVM which uses 640x480 when using a scaler, but because of your changes it still wants to run in 100 HZ, then your TFT backs up saying this is a no-no.
I'd guess if you try another game with similar resolution to ScummVM, it would get the same results. (Yes, hard to find these low-res apps nowadays... ;)

So this is no ScummVM problem IMHO. Unfortunately you were not even mentioning your operating system...