AMIGA ScummVM supported games

Ask for help with ScummVM problems

Moderator: ScummVM Team

DamienD

AMIGA ScummVM supported games

Post by DamienD »

Hey guys,

I have the original Indy 3 + 4, Loom, Monkey Island 1 + 2, etc on disk. Last night I was playing around and grabbed the required files for ScummVM use from the disks for Monkey Island 1 + 2...

Work fine but I have one question, the graphics don't look no where near as good as what they did on an Amiga (or in WinUAE). Is this because of the Amiga hardware/software and/or ScummVM doesn't emulate this :?:
sev
ScummVM Lead

Post by sev »

You don't specify what are those differences. Any screenshots for comparison? Also you don't specify how do you run your games in ScummVM. Are they all have amiga platform set?

Eugene
Last edited by sev on Tue Nov 15, 2005 6:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
DamienD

Post by DamienD »

Sorry. The images are so much sharper on the Amiga versions.

Hold on for about 10 minutes and I'll grab screenshots of both the Amiga and ScummVM versions :wink:

Yes, they all have the Amiga platform set.
sev wrote:You don't specify what are those differences. Any screenshots for camparison? Also you don't specify how do you run your games in ScummVM. Are they all have amiga platform set?

Eugene
DamienD

Post by DamienD »

Ok, I'm back. How do I attach some .gif files?

All I could find is the button Img but this asks for a url...
Kirben

Post by Kirben »

ScummVM and WinUAE both provide graphic filtering, make sure you are comparing screenshots which aren't filtered.

The only known visual difference in the Amiga versions under ScummVM, is minor palette issues in Indy4 and Monkey Island 2.
DamienD

Post by DamienD »

Hello Kirben,

I have taken and compared the following screen shots of Monkey 1 with no filters / filters applied:

1. ScummVM (no filter)
2. ScummVM (Tv2x)
3. Amiga (no filter)
4. Amiga (Scanlines)

There are slight differences in the way the graphics are displayed on ScummVM and the Amiga with no filters set on both (mainly edges around characters and the colours).

Amiga (Scanlines) is definitely the best looking of all 4 screen shots... I believe this is exactly (or very close) to what it used to look like on my A500.

Off topic, but scanlines are wicked. Will they ever be implemented in ScummVM? They make games look so much better, less pixelated :wink:
Kaminari

Post by Kaminari »

The ScummVM TV filter has no horizontal interpolation and thus doesn't look nearly as good as what you see in WinUAE. There's a feature request for a better scanline mode on the SF project page, I believe it's not high priority for now.
DamienD

Post by DamienD »

Hello Kaminari,

Agreed, TV filter is no where near as good as Scanlines.

Good to see that it's a requested feature, hopefully it gets added sometime soon :wink:

I love scanline, I use them with WinUAE, MAME32 and Snesx9. Games look so much better.
sev
ScummVM Lead

Post by sev »

Well, you can speed-up the process by means of attaching appropriate patch to that feature request. It is quite easy to create a new scaler for ScummVM, so no extra skillz are required.

Eugene
DamienD

Post by DamienD »

If I knew how I would definitely do this... I though it would be difficult to do this?
sev
ScummVM Lead

Post by sev »

Not that difficult see how 2xPM was processed here. Don't pay attention to implementation details but to interface. It's quite straightforward. I.e. grab scaler source from sources pointed out in this feature request and give them interface ScummVM expects for scalers.

Eugene
DamienD

Post by DamienD »

hmmm, I had a quick read but a bit confused :oops:

I saw stuff about blueTV filters and "Horizontal and vertical stretch + slider for adaptable scanlines on all monitor modes".

Would like to create that same type of scanlines that MAME / WinUAE / Snesx9 all have as games definitely look better.
GUN

Post by GUN »

the 2xPM looks nice

is there any possibility to see this in an CVS build ? ..

or must be self compiled ?