no sound on Monkey Island

Ask for help with ScummVM problems

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Longcat

Post by Longcat »

i.e. as md5 says, thats why you cant see them in windows explorer, just pop it in and start for instance iTunes and you will be able to rip them from there.
mercuryrsng

Post by mercuryrsng »

I put the disc in the drive when both WMP and itunes were open, and it didn't recognize the cd...Neither program would. But the CD works perfectly fine.
Longcat

Post by Longcat »

but you can play it on a regular cd-deck?
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

I've heard rumors about some versions of The Secret of Monkey Island where the audio tracks had been left out from the CD. But I have no personal experience of that.
Longcat

Post by Longcat »

I had problems ripping multitrack cd's on older computers, but that was like 10-15 years ago:) if you cant get it playing on a regular cdplayer, I guess you're screwed. Maybe your disc is damaged?
mercuryrsng

Post by mercuryrsng »

I have the cd version that has both Monkey Island 1 and Monkey Island 2 on it. Should I have a different cd version?

Still wont even find the audio files, although they work perfectly fine in the game.
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

mercuryrsng wrote:I have the cd version that has both Monkey Island 1 and Monkey Island 2 on it. Should I have a different cd version?

Still wont even find the audio files, although they work perfectly fine in the game.
Mine has Monkey Island 1 and 2, and a bunch of audio tracks - the kind you can play in any music CD player - which are used only by the first game.
Longcat

Post by Longcat »

have you tried it on a different computer?
Macfly77

Post by Macfly77 »

mercuryrsng wrote:I have the cd version that has both Monkey Island 1 and Monkey Island 2 on it. Should I have a different cd version?

I have that CD version as well, but have no problem finding the audio tracks.
The music was not playing on either of my Macs, so I followed the instructions and, like Kompe, had the music all out of order.
Just as eriktorbjorn had mentioned, however, when I ripped the tracks off of the CD, they were named track2, track3,... all the way to track25, instead of track1, track2,... track 24.
I manually renamed them all, subtracting 1 from each number and the game now works like a charm, with all the right music in all the right parts.
Thank you all!
Grayfox

Post by Grayfox »

Hey

Hope someone sees this thread and is able to help me out.
Curse of Monkey Island works fine with sounds and all.
Monkey Island 2 works fine with sound and all.
Monkey Island 1 doesn't have sound, But when i put the disk in iTunes wont recognize it, and when i look on the disk all there is is normal files (normal as in no music), But when i look in Monkey Island 2, there's no music files in there but it still works and has music.
I got it off a disk called Monkey Island Madness a while ago, it has 1 and 2 and the MI3 Demo (but i'm not playing MI3 by the demo)
If anyone could help that'd be great :) really want to play MI1 again, but i'd rather it with music :)

PS: I use a iMac Leopard
Longcat

Post by Longcat »

MI1 has the music as cd-tracks, you have to rip them(they *should* show up in iTunes when you insert the original disk).
Or try a different cd-ripper.
The reason music works in MI2 is that it is contained in the resource files and not as separate tracks.
crypto

Post by crypto »

eriktorbjorn wrote:I've heard rumors about some versions of The Secret of Monkey Island where the audio tracks had been left out from the CD. But I have no personal experience of that.
A little bit off-topic, but I can tell you that the rumors are completely false.

All CD-ROM versions of "The Secret of Monkey Island" contain CD-Audio tracks (Red Book/CDDA).
I'm talking about the real CD-ROM version (MONKEY.000, MONKEY.001) and not some compilation CD that includes the floppy version.

The rumor was born because of 2 things:
- Piracy
- Ignorance towards CD-image file types

You see, in order to create a CD-image file of the game, most people will use the .iso format, because "it produces a smaller filesize" or because "it is the norm".
The problem is that the .iso format only supports data tracks (2048 bytes/sector) and not multi CD-Audio tracks (2352 bytes/sector).
This means that a (Mixed Mode) CD that has DATA+AUDIO will be stripped of all its CD-Audio tracks, when converted into an .iso file.

Only when using more capable CD-image formats - such as .cue/.bin (CDRWin), .ccd/.img (CloneCD), .mds/.mdf (Alcohol 120%), etc. - will the audio tracks be preserved.

These .iso files get spread across the Internet and so is the mystery of the disappearing audio tracks.

P.S.: Many of the games listed here suffer from the same rumors.
messyhead

Post by messyhead »

Can I ask where the first sound or music should be heard in Secret of Monkey Island?

I've got both the DOS and Amiga versions on my Ipod Touch, however there's no sound. But I'm not sure if that's because it's not working, or I've not got to a point where I should have heard sound yet.

Moneky 2 works ok with sound and music.
md5
ScummVM Developer

Post by md5 »

You should hear the infamous Monkey Island Theme (a true classic!) in the title screen
messyhead

Post by messyhead »

md5 wrote:You should hear the infamous Monkey Island Theme (a true classic!) in the title screen
I thought I remembered that there was an intro tune.

I know I need the mp3's for the CD version, but I thought I had everything I needed for the floppy (Amiga) version.

I've got all the *.lec and *.lfl files, and the music.dat and sample.dat files so not sure why there's no sound.

Could it be a permissions thing? The game runs, but not all the files have exec permissions, only read.