Compressing Kyrandia (Feeble Files problem, scroll down)

Ask for help with ScummVM problems

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Espiox

Compressing Kyrandia (Feeble Files problem, scroll down)

Post by Espiox »

I'm trying to compress the Kyra1 VRM files into ogg vorbis format. I've set up a new folder, and copied into it all the *.VRM files, the compress_kyra.exe tool and oggenc, plus a folder to output to (named 'output'). However, when I try to convert, I get this:

Code: Select all

C:\Program Files\ScummVM\games\kyra1\VRMS>compress_kyra.exe --vorbis ALCHEMY.VRM output\ALCHEMY.VRM
Found 6 files in package
 Sound data
 - length = 16046
 - sample rate = 22050 (d2)
 - compression = 8bits (00)
'oggenc' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.
Got error from encoder. (check your parameters)
Encoder commandline: oggenc --raw --raw-chan=1 --raw-bits=8 --raw-rate=22050 --raw-endianness=1 --quality=3 --output="tempfile.ogg" "tempfile.raw"
Last edited by Espiox on Fri Jul 21, 2006 11:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Anotherguest
ScummVM Porter

Post by Anotherguest »

Well obviously you don't have the oggenc.exe in the same folder as the scummvm tools, or a proper path to it. Get the path or location of the exe right and it should work I guess.
Espiox

Post by Espiox »

I checked the files, and on closer inspection it turns out that I forgot to knock the 2 off the encoder filename. Thanks for the help.

Erm, is there any way of doing all the VRM files at once rather than hand typing all the filenames out and stuff?
clem

Post by clem »

Espiox wrote: Erm, is there any way of doing all the VRM files at once rather than hand typing all the filenames out and stuff?
probably:

Code: Select all

for %a in (*.vrm) do compress_kyra.exe --vorbis %a output\%a
Espiox

Post by Espiox »

Woohoo! Thanks once again guys. Very speedy response too. :D

Does ScummVM support the SAGA compression yet?

And heck, while I'm asking about all this compression, what about compressing the voices.wav files in Feeble Files?
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

Espiox wrote:Does ScummVM support the SAGA compression yet?
No, it doesn't. There is a compression tool which may or may not work but, at least last time I checked, no playback for it.
Espiox wrote:And heck, while I'm asking about all this compression, what about compressing the voices.wav files in Feeble Files?
The "compress_simon" tool worked for me.
Espiox

Post by Espiox »

Okay, thanks you for your help.
Espiox

Post by Espiox »

I can't seem to get Feeble Files to run. I have placed into my feeble folder, the following files:

All the VGAs, from both discs and the ones that were installed to my hard drive.
The voices.wav files, renamed correctly and compressed to .oggs.
All the TABLES* files that were installed.
TBLLIST, save.999, GAME22.
All of the converted *.dxa files and their accompanying *.oggs.

It's the Windows 2CD version, running on the latest ScummVM SVN build. When I start it up, I just get a blank screen (and the window is marked as Not Responding).

What's wrong with this?
clem

Post by clem »

Espiox wrote: The voices.wav files, renamed correctly and compressed to .oggs.
I think this is not a normal .wav file, just wanting to point out you probably need to use some ScummVM tool for it (you probably did, I can't tell from your post)

do you get any error in the text window?

clem
Espiox

Post by Espiox »

No, everything went smoothly. I used compress_simon to compress the voices.wavs found on the cds.

EDIT: Pressing ESC brings up the main menu. Is something supposed to happen before the main menu? Because if so, I'm just getting black
Kirben

Post by Kirben »

Espiox wrote:EDIT: Pressing ESC brings up the main menu. Is something supposed to happen before the main menu? Because if so, I'm just getting black
A cutscene for the Epic Interactive logo is played before the main menu, in the Amiga and Macintosh versions of the Feeble Files.
Espiox

Post by Espiox »

But do any logos show up on the Windows version?
Kirben

Post by Kirben »

Espiox wrote:But do any logos show up on the Windows version?
No, the main menu is the first screen shown in the Windows version.
Espiox

Post by Espiox »

OK, I've solved that problem.

I have one more though, again related to compression. Specifically, I'm getting errors when playing Full Throttle. When I do the old mine road part, the debug console slides down and the program seems to lock up. I've compressed all of the files in the data and video folders. When it locks up, it says the theres a bad FLU index or something in the compressed minedriv.san file.
Raziel
ScummVM Porter

Post by Raziel »

Espiox wrote:OK, I've solved that problem.

I have one more though, again related to compression. Specifically, I'm getting errors when playing Full Throttle. When I do the old mine road part, the debug console slides down and the program seems to lock up. I've compressed all of the files in the data and video folders. When it locks up, it says the theres a bad FLU index or something in the compressed minedriv.san file.
Seems the file is corrupted, re-copy and re-compress and ... well, re-try ;-)