Newbie guide to ScummVM

Ask for help with ScummVM problems

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Red_Breast

Post by Red_Breast »

dmbjunky wrote:maybe someone can steer me in the right direction. I have a everdrive 64 and wanted to try this emulator on it. The problem i have is getting a copy of DOTT that will work. Does it have to be a rom or some other type of file?
It would obviously help if you explain what the Everdrive is.
The Everdrive is a cartridge back-up device for N64 according to my googling.
There is a version of ScummVM for the N64. Things are not so straight forward as most versions of ScummVM though. With most versions of ScummVM you start ScummVM and then add and play your games. Not so with the N64 port.

The best place for you to start would be to go to the Downloads page and download the N64 package. Once you have it have a good read of the file 'README.N64' which is basically a text file so if you're a Windows user then open it with Notepad. The instructions are for Linux users actually so if you're a Windows user you have another obstacle. You either try to see if you can do it all in Windows or run Linux somehow.

I noticed in the package that there's a rom included (scummvm-demos.v64). So you could try that straight away. It's the type of rom that you need to build to use the N64 ScummVM port. It's not for the feint-hearted though and I hope Hkz (who made the port) won't mind me saying it's more a proof of concept that it is possible to do. You really need the N64 expansion pack as well.
You will need to download genromfs and it will help if you're familiar with the command line. For each game you will need to build a rom which is made up of engine .bin files (which come with the download) and game data which you supply yourself.
LordCrumb

Post by LordCrumb »

Newbie here as expected, sorry guys :(

I got recommended this program because I like to play old games that don't work on Vista.

I was wondering about Curse of Monkey Island (I saw numerous threads but not sure which to read)..

There are two discs to this game, do I make two seperate folders in my 'Game Installs' directory? ie; DISC1, DISC2?
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

LordCrumb wrote: There are two discs to this game, do I make two seperate folders in my 'Game Installs' directory? ie; DISC1, DISC2?
That one's actually described in the ScummVM README file. ScummVM expects all the data files to be in one folder, containing the comi.la0, comi.la1 and comi.la2 files and all the files from the "resource" folders on the two CDs. (You can have a "resource" folder inside your folder, if you like. ScummVM will find the files inside it.)

Some of the files in the "resource" folders appear on both CDs, but in those cases they should be identical, i.e. it doesn't matter which of them you use. (Some other multi-CD games that ScummVM supports require you to rename some of the files so it can tell them apart, but in this case LucasArts did that already, e.g. voxdisk1.bun and voxdisk2.bun for the speech for the first and second halves of the game.)
LordCrumb

Post by LordCrumb »

eriktorbjorn wrote:
LordCrumb wrote: There are two discs to this game, do I make two seperate folders in my 'Game Installs' directory? ie; DISC1, DISC2?
That one's actually described in the ScummVM README file. ScummVM expects all the data files to be in one folder, containing the comi.la0, comi.la1 and comi.la2 files and all the files from the "resource" folders on the two CDs. (You can have a "resource" folder inside your folder, if you like. ScummVM will find the files inside it.)

Some of the files in the "resource" folders appear on both CDs, but in those cases they should be identical, i.e. it doesn't matter which of them you use. (Some other multi-CD games that ScummVM supports require you to rename some of the files so it can tell them apart, but in this case LucasArts did that already, e.g. voxdisk1.bun and voxdisk2.bun for the speech for the first and second halves of the game.)
thank you so much for the help :)
Justmom

Scummvm on a MAC keeps quitting

Post by Justmom »

Hi, I am not very experienced on a computer. I am trying to run Pajama Sam, the win/mac Atari version on my Mac OS laptop. I put the files (), 1, 2, 3, 4, 7, ) in a new folder on my hard drive and chose that file but Scummvm cannot find a game in the file. So, I pressed the shift key and the "add game" button and chose the hard drive. Yea, it found all of the Humungous games BUT Scummvm crashes every time and does not retain the games in it's directory. So, I am back to square one.

Can I run a game made for Mac on a newer Mac OS machine? Perhaps the atari games are no longer a "classic" game. But as I ask these questions, I did see Scummvm add them to the "game window" each time before it crashed. Sorry for the untechnical questions. I am at the end of my rope!
xKittyDithx

Post by xKittyDithx »

how do you get the screen to maximize in windows 7?? Thanks!
tsoliman
ScummVM Developer

Post by tsoliman »

xKittyDithx wrote:how do you get the screen to maximize in windows 7?? Thanks!
Does Alt-Enter work?
thunderchief

Post by thunderchief »

Hi,

I'm a Noooob and I some have (maybe silly) questions I couldn' find any hint for in the forum:

I run Riven on the stable version of SvummVM (1.5.0) in Win7.
I already have installed ScummVM and the "About Floating text" shows the mohawk engine highlighted ("Myst and Riven" gray).
I have extracted the files from 5 CDs (Windows version) into a directory.
I have added the game to ScummVM without any Error Warning.

But....

...when I now try to start the game I first get the warning "...not fully supported..." - ok - start anyway -
and then "Error running game: Game data not found" appears and I have to abort with "ok".

I tried it with the original extraction files from CD, I already have changed the filenames in all uppercase and all lowercase, I have tried with riven.exe and extras.mhk as well as only with arcriven.z. - same result

So I have tried the whole thing with Android - same result.

Yes, I have all specified files in the directory.

1) What are the correct letter-cases for this game?
2) Where else could be a mistake.

Thank you for your support.

TC
LordHoto
ScummVM Developer

Post by LordHoto »

Riven is not supported in 1.5.0. Supported games are listed here.
thunderchief

Post by thunderchief »

This was the right hint.

I now have tried it with the daily build and it works perfectly. Acc. other threads I am able to finish the game without major bugs.

I'm now looking forward to a nostalgic winter.

Thank you
Timtam

Post by Timtam »

Hi, I'm so sorry but i've bought the PC CDROM version of Day Of The Tentacle and Sam and Max Hit the Road.

I've downloaded Scummvm and i've done what I thought was the right things by reading the README files but I still for the life of me can not get it to run at all. Scummvm doesn't even recognise the game at all.

please if someone can help, i would be so appreciative as i'm going mad!!!
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

Timtam wrote: I've downloaded Scummvm and i've done what I thought was the right things by reading the README files but I still for the life of me can not get it to run at all. Scummvm doesn't even recognise the game at all.
It's not obvious exactly what you tried, what operating system you are using, or which versions of the games. But assuming it's the Windows/Mac/etc version of ScummVM, it should just be a matter of creating two (or three; more about that later) folders on your hard drive (you could probably run the games from the CD, but this is more convenient), one for each game, copy the necessary data files, and tell ScummVM to detect the games in each of these folders.

You can see which files are needed on the Game data files wiki page, but assuming it's the PC CD versions of the games, what you will need is:

Day of the Tentacle: TENTACLE.000, TENTACLE.001, MONSTER.SOU
Sam & Max: SAMNMAX.000, SAMNMAX.001, MONSTER.SOU

(Which, of course, is why you'll need separate folders for the games: The same file name appears in both.)

Day of the Tentacle also includes the game Maniac Mansion. Oiginally, it was an easter egg that could be played from within Day of the Tentacle, but ScummVM does not support that unfortunately. But you can still play it as a separate game in ScummVM, using the .LFL files (00.LFL through 52.LFL) for it.

If you have the Day of the Tentacle / Sam & Max double pack, there should be a folder on the CD named BUILD. Inside, there are folders named DOTT and SAMNMAX. The DOTT folder contains a folder called MANIAC. That's where you will find the necessary data files.

When telling ScummVM to look for a game, simply use the "Add game" button to navigate to the folder on your hard drive where the game is. Either select the folder, or open it (it will show the files inside, but they will be disabled; this is normal) and press the Choose button.

If this is what you tried, and it still doesn't work, you will have to be more specific about what problems you're having.
wurlycorner

Another newbie question

Post by wurlycorner »

Hi,

I have an HTC One X running Android 4.1.1 / HTC Sense version 4+.
I'm trying to play the Monkey Island games (Secret, MI2, Curse)

I've downloaded and installed ScummVM 1.5.0 and it opens fine.

I checked the files I needed on the datafile post and have copied them across, so (just using MI2 as an example), I have the following;
A folder named "Monkey Island 2"
In the folder I have the files "Monkey2.000" and "Monkey2.001"

When I go to Add Game... I can find the folder "Monkey Island 2" but then I press "Choose" it returns the message "ScummVM could not find any game in the specified directory!"
That happens whether I just highlight the folder and press "Choose" or whether I go into the folder and press "Choose".

nb: if I go into the folder it does show the 2 files in there, greyed out

I've looked around the forum and read everything I can find but haven't found an answer yet.

Any ideas please?

Thanks
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Re: Another newbie question

Post by eriktorbjorn »

wurlycorner wrote: When I go to Add Game... I can find the folder "Monkey Island 2" but then I press "Choose" it returns the message "ScummVM could not find any game in the specified directory!"
That happens whether I just highlight the folder and press "Choose" or whether I go into the folder and press "Choose".
I don't know much about Android myself, but according to the guide in the ScummVM wiki you need both ScummVM itself and a plugin. Could that be what's missing?
wurlycorner wrote: nb: if I go into the folder it does show the 2 files in there, greyed out
That's normal, at least with the desktop version of ScummVM. You're picking a directory, so files are always shown as greyed out.
reload2live

scummvm pointer

Post by reload2live »

Hi Im still trying to get the hang of this emulator, I was wondering if it was possible to use the mouse pointer from an actual mouse plugged into the device and bypass completely the emulator's pointer?