Newbie guide to ScummVM

Ask for help with ScummVM problems

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Qvist

Newbie guide to ScummVM

Post by Qvist »

For thoose of you that are new to ScummVM, here is a guide made by clem that should take care of the most basic questions on how to set up and run your games with ScummVM. There is also a manual in wiki, (still work in progress) with some more info on settings in ScummVM.

So how do you get the games to play with ScummVM? You must own them and if you don't, here is a list of places to get them. Also try Ebay and similar places. However, Beneath a Steel Sky and Flight of the Amazon Queen have been released as freeware and are downloadable here. Questions about warez and abandonware will not be answered. For more info, look at the Copyright FAQ.

If you are unsure what files are required by ScummVM, take a look here.

If you want to compress the datafiles, please read the README, incuded in your ScummVM directory.

Another thing you could do before posting on the forum, is to read the FAQ which answers some common questions.

Also, the Wiki has some documentation.
Last edited by Qvist on Tue Apr 01, 2008 8:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.
MystGirl

Post by MystGirl »

Hello. I am new here. I just had a quick question. In your link above for listing where you can find more games, this was the page that link brought me to when I clicked on it:

http://members.optusnet.com.au/scummvm/shops.html

--Error 404 - Not Found

The page you have requested is unavailable on this server.

If you are looking for the site of a particular OptusNet member or just browsing, why not look through our Members Listing.--

Has this page been moved or updated somewhere?

Thank you in advance for any additional help.
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

I wonder if that was the same information that's now on the Where to buy games page.
CRIKEY

Post by CRIKEY »

20:59, 26 November 2007 Sev (Talk | contribs) (9,592 bytes) (Converted from http://members.optusnet.com.au/scummvm/shops.html)
so yes it was
CrisGer

Post by CrisGer »

If you are looking for good copies of old games, I have had great luck with Amazon.com they are very reliable and responsible about orders, when I have had any questions or problems with the delivered games, (breakage in post, faulty discs) Amazon has monitored it, and repaid me not only the cost of any merchandise the merchant has not replaced but also paid all postage.

The merchants have been helpful and reliable too, and I have been able to find just about anything i needed for my research and collection of archival titles.
Puddifoot

Post by Puddifoot »

Hi, your newbie guide that is "here" actually isn't there. :)

I can't seem to run The Curse of Monkey Island on Vista to save my life. I tried just changing my setup to Win98/ME but the colour's still off and it's all pixelated and green.

Should ScummVM find C.O.M.I automatically? And should it help my colour problem? Please help! I'm so dippy!
Longcat

Post by Longcat »

Read the README. That's what it's for:P

Anyhoo, copy the files listed here from BOTH you COMI cd's to a folder on your computer, fire up ScummVM and choose 'Add game', select the folder and press ok or whatever.

Then select the game in the list and press 'Start'.

Enjoy.
bobdevis

Post by bobdevis »

What Jonatan just wrote should be in big bold letters right at the top of any ScummVM documentation.

-Copy required game files to a directory
-Run ScummVM and point it to that directory
-Play game

I have the impression many many people try to run the game's own installer or point ScummVM to the CD Drive. There is only so much you can do in case someone doesn't read the documentation ofcause.
Harry

monkey island

Post by Harry »

hi there

this is really stupid

but i want to play monkey island,

i understand about copyin all the files etc

but its downlading the actual scrumm,

i go onto downloads and there are sooo many,

if anyone can spoon feed me that would be great

cheers
pncFreak

Re: monkey island

Post by pncFreak »

Harry wrote:hi there

this is really stupid

but i want to play monkey island,

i understand about copyin all the files etc

but its downlading the actual scrumm,

i go onto downloads and there are sooo many,

if anyone can spoon feed me that would be great

cheers
Well, it all depends what kind of Operating System you have on your device or computer.

If you know this, you just choose the corresponding scummVM compilation. If you know the OS but not what to choose, just post your device info (brand, OS etc). Then it would be possible to help.
drleinad

full throttle

Post by drleinad »

I know it will sound ridiculous...but I justo downloaded de summvm and I've installed full throttle...but when i click on "add game" and put the folder where it is installed, it doesnt find the game....if anyone can help me, please answer me ;)
bobdevis

Re: full throttle

Post by bobdevis »

drleinad wrote:I know it will sound ridiculous...but I justo downloaded de summvm and I've installed full throttle...but when i click on "add game" and put the folder where it is installed, it doesnt find the game....if anyone can help me, please answer me ;)
1. Get all the files listed here in one directory.
Pull them from the source CD or from the directory you installed the game in.
2. Point ScummVM to that directory with the 'add game' option.
3. Profit.
shivashiva

Post by shivashiva »

How do i install patches?
sev
ScummVM Lead

Post by sev »

shivashiva wrote:How do i install patches?
In two easy steps:
1. Take them (whatever they are)
2. Install them (whenever they apply)

Eugene
magically25

ScummVB Very Basic Question

Post by magically25 »

Hi, I am a totally clueless user who only wishes to play her old favourite game The Dig. I understand about copying my game files etc but my problem is far more basic than that. How do I 'install' scummVM in the first place. I have downloaded (I think) the 'windows binary' to my computer and extracted the files (Talented Open Studio something ...). However, I can't work out how to actually 'install' and 'run' it. Which file is it? There is no obvious one called 'installer' or anything?
Can someone please help me? Hopeful regards.