Newbie guide to ScummVM

Ask for help with ScummVM problems

Moderator: ScummVM Team

md5
ScummVM Developer

Re: scummvm pointer

Post by md5 »

reload2live wrote:Hi Im still trying to get the hang of this emulator, I was wondering if it was possible to use the mouse pointer from an actual mouse plugged into the device and bypass completely the emulator's pointer?
Um, what? Are you referring to the desktop version of ScummVM? Why would you want to use a different mouse pointer?

(Also, technically, ScummVM is NOT an emulator. It's a rewritten version of each game that it supports).
reload2live

Scummvm pointer

Post by reload2live »

Yeah I understand is not really an emulator, and no I'm referring to the android version, when you plug in a mouse to the android device you get a pointer as you would in a computer, as you know scummvm has an orange pointer that you drag with your finger so my question is can I bypass or eliminate the orange pointer for the mouse pointer
wurlycorner

Re: Another newbie question

Post by wurlycorner »

eriktorbjorn wrote: I don't know much about Android myself, but according to the guide in the ScummVM wiki you need both ScummVM itself and a plugin. Could that be what's missing?
Hi, thanks for the suggestion. Looking on that link it says I need the SCUMM engine. It doesn't say where you get it from though or how you install it. I've spent days searching round trying to find out and keep drawing a blank.

The 'how to add a new engine' link at the bottom of the page is developer aimed, when they've written a new one not previously supported by the programme, so that doesn't help?

(nb the page linked above also says at the top " Complete Engines in the Latest Stable Version" so does that not mean they come pre-installed?)

Any further help anyone please?

Thanks
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

wurlycorner wrote: Hi, thanks for the suggestion. Looking on that link it says I need the SCUMM engine. It doesn't say where you get it from though or how you install it. I've spent days searching round trying to find out and keep drawing a blank.
I would have preferred if someone else replied to this (maybe someone who, unlike me, actually has an Android device, and has actually seen ScummVM run on it), but when I looked at the Google play page for ScummVM, plugins were listed under "More from developer".

So at least there they don't seem to be included in the main package.
Graxer

Post by Graxer »

eriktorbjorn wrote:
wurlycorner wrote: Hi, thanks for the suggestion. Looking on that link it says I need the SCUMM engine. It doesn't say where you get it from though or how you install it. I've spent days searching round trying to find out and keep drawing a blank.
I would have preferred if someone else replied to this (maybe someone who, unlike me, actually has an Android device, and has actually seen ScummVM run on it), but when I looked at the Google play page for ScummVM, plugins were listed under "More from developer".

So at least there they don't seem to be included in the main package.
Yes, that's right. The plugin needs to be downloaded from Google play (along with ScummVM itself) if you want to play a Scumm engine game like Monkey Island on your device:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... ugin.scumm
spk64

Re: Newbie guide to ScummVM

Post by spk64 »

The new Version 2.1.1 is not working. I cant play anymore Broken Sword 1 (due of Speech files and it makes no sense how i rename them)
Police Quest 4 too. And the -c command for a portable version isnt working!
Last edited by Praetorian on Thu Feb 20, 2020 2:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed link to deleted thread
Praetorian
ScummVM Developer

Post by Praetorian »

spk64 wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 9:13 pm The new Version 2.1.1 is not working. I cant play anymore Broken Sword 1 (due of Speech files and it makes no sense how i rename them)
Police Quest 4 too. And the -c command for a portable version isnt working!
Please, be specific. What is not working? What have you tried?

I just tried both games (Broken Sword 1 and Police Quest 4) on Android 2.1.1 (which is the port that you are testing on as far as I can tell from your other messages today) and they both seem to launch and work fine -- I also was able to enable the subtitles for Broken Sword cutscenes with the addon pack by copying a few text files in the videos folder.

Do these work on for you on a desktop PC but fail to work on the Android port?
Is the issue that you can't set up the game folder properly because the instructions are unclear?
spk64

Post by spk64 »

I've downgraded and everything works again
I don't want to use the version with this new network online feature either.
Bye
Praetorian
ScummVM Developer

Post by Praetorian »

spk64 wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 10:09 am I've downgraded and everything works again
I don't want to use the version with this new network online feature either.
Bye
Do you mean the cloud saves? This is an optional feature, which is disabled and unconfigured by default.
And if a user does set it up and activates it, it can be disabled at any time.

However, you're of course free to use any older version that works for you, if for some reason you think it provides a better experience.
bliznik

Post by bliznik »

Should the pinned top post be edited and updated with a link to the docs (docs.scummvm.org)?

The linked tutorial is gone and the linked User Manual is deprecated.

Also, is there a place in the docs where I can see detailed information of each of the "Edit Game" settings, such as what each of the "Graphics mode" and "Render mode" settings do? I can kind of guess, but it would be nice to have a definition for each option.
criezy
ScummVM Developer

Post by criezy »

bliznik wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 6:30 pm Should the pinned top post be edited and updated with a link to the docs (docs.scummvm.org)?

The linked tutorial is gone and the linked User Manual is deprecated.

Also, is there a place in the docs where I can see detailed information of each of the "Edit Game" settings, such as what each of the "Graphics mode" and "Render mode" settings do? I can kind of guess, but it would be nice to have a definition for each option.
The most information you will get is in the section about the settings on docs.scummvm.org (for example for the graphics settings: https://docs.scummvm.org/en/latest/sett ... phics.html and https://docs.scummvm.org/en/latest/adva ... phics.html that is linked from the previous one).
bliznik

Post by bliznik »

criezy wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 8:08 pm The most information you will get is in the section about the settings on docs.scummvm.org (for example for the graphics settings: https://docs.scummvm.org/en/latest/sett ... phics.html and https://docs.scummvm.org/en/latest/adva ... phics.html that is linked from the previous one).
Perfect, exactly what I was looking for. Thx!