Compressed SOU file, but only works w/ latest ScummVM, why?

Ask for help with ScummVM problems

Moderator: ScummVM Team

KevinSig

Compressed SOU file, but only works w/ latest ScummVM, why?

Post by KevinSig »

I compressed my Monster.SOU file down into a Monster.SOF file using ScummVM & Flac. (I used Flac because I couldn't figure out what files I needed to d/l for the other formats, or at least I can't figure out where the downloaded files need to be.)

I did this before my semi-recent upgrade, and everything seemed to work just fine with my Pocket PC 0.8.2 . However, the Monster.SOU compression did come out as SO3, not SOF. Still, for whatever reason the audio seems messed up, except for the latest version of Scumm VM.

The game in question is Day of the Tentacle, and the exact audio problem I have is that there are no voices, audio effects get messed up, and the only thing that doesn't seem effected is the background music.

What I typed was C:\compress_scumm_sou.exe --flac --best -b 1152

I'm wondering if my problem might be that I have the latest versions of the ScummVM tools or Flac.

As for just going with the latest version, well I have issues with the latest version of Pocket PC. Beyond the sound problems (which I've gotten the patch for), I don't like how the keyboard/transcriber bleeds through. I understand that it might have something to do with the future of AGI games, but its placed exactly where the system tools icon is located, making it annoying.

Also, its invisible except when I click on it, I don't like that.

But that's neither here nor there, I just thought I'd mention it to explain why I don't like using the latest version (for my Pocket PC). Other than that, its just an issue with compression.

Kevin
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Re: Compressed SOU file, but only works w/ latest ScummVM, w

Post by eriktorbjorn »

I don't think the file format has changed in any way. I do know that FLAC was the last sound compression format to be supported by ScummVM, though. It was added in 0.7.0, which was released on Christmas 2004.

Perhaps Pocket PC support for FLAC was added more recently than that?
KevinSig

Post by KevinSig »

Turns out that I just had a faulty memory. Apparently, I did all my compressions in MP3 format, I just remembered getting FLAC first. Still,I kind of wish there was a download link to LAME with the optional libraries, seeing as how you need it for the compression.

Kevin