Does ScummVM 0.9.0 work in Mac OSx 10.2.8?

Ask for help with ScummVM problems

Moderator: ScummVM Team

ZPedro

Post by ZPedro »

Come one people, I had already reported the issue and fully explained it in case it would have been needed... for the 0.8.0 release! Of course you have to compile with gcc 3.3 for it to run on OSX <10.3.9! However, that 95 error I got as well (on my iBook G3 with 10.2.8), I don't know anything about it. The very same downloads mount fine on my iMac G5 with 10.3.9 and my MacBook with 10.4.6, and they run fine too.

Not to mention, why do two separate binary releases? Even if the ppc one would have worked on 10.2.8, that's useless since one can be universal AND run as far back as 10.2.8; you just need to manually build the ppc side with gcc 3.3, then the Intel side with gcc4.0, then lipo the two manually. I know, a pain in the ass, Apple does not make it easy for us. But it can be done.
ZPedro

Post by ZPedro »

joostp wrote:I've built 0.9.0 on 10.2(.4) using gcc 3.3.
Had to remove -lSystemStubs, as apparently that's only present on >=10.3 (?) and add the AudioToolbox/AudioUnit Framework (forgot which) to the linker line to satisfy the unresolved symbols you were talking about.

I have very little experience packaging for OSX, so I'm not sure if it's all done properly, but it seems to work fine here.

In case anyone wants to try it: ScummVM 0.9.0 built on 10.2.4
It works fine for me (and mounts fine, too). Only thing is, I don't know how you configured SDL, but the Mac cursor is always invisible, not just when it's inside the window.
joostp
ScummVM Developer

Post by joostp »

ZPedro wrote:It works fine for me (and mounts fine, too). Only thing is, I don't know how you configured SDL, but the Mac cursor is always invisible, not just when it's inside the window.
This is just stock SDL from Fink on 10.2 (so 1.2.6) - I guess this is a bug/feature in that old version. (And perhaps this is the cause for the Dock icon problem too?)

Anyway, my build isn't meant as a replacement for the current official 0.9.0 package, but just a courtesy temporary unofficial build until whoever is responsible for the Mac port/build nowadays fixes the official package.

I've updated SDL on my Mac in the meantime, so I could do an updated build linked against SDL 1.2.11 - just not sure if I should (i.e. what the ETA for an updated official build is).
Vinterstum
ScummVM Developer

Post by Vinterstum »

Ok, I'm building the PPC part with gcc 3.3 now. I still have no idea why the disk images won't work on 10.2.x though.

I just uploaded new SVN snapshots (including a .tar.gz version). Please let me know if the Universal Binary works on all versions.

http://worldsmainorganization.org/scummvm

Once I figure out why the disk images don't work (and hopefully someone lets me know the snapshot works ok), I'll make a new 0.9 build.
clone2727
Retired

Post by clone2727 »

I've tried the new universal snapshot (tar.gz) on my 10.2.8.

It unexpectedly quits after starting it. The error message from Terminal is:

Undefined symbols:
/Users/firstuser/Desktop/ScummVM.app/Contents/MacOS/scummvm undefined reference to _acosf expected to be defined in /usr/lib/libSystem.B.dylib
/Users/firstuser/Desktop/ScummVM.app/Contents/MacOS/scummvm undefined reference to _cosf expected to be defined in /usr/lib/libSystem.B.dylib
/Users/firstuser/Desktop/ScummVM.app/Contents/MacOS/scummvm undefined reference to _dlclose expected to be defined in /usr/lib/libSystem.B.dylib
/Users/firstuser/Desktop/ScummVM.app/Contents/MacOS/scummvm undefined reference to _dlerror expected to be defined in /usr/lib/libSystem.B.dylib
/Users/firstuser/Desktop/ScummVM.app/Contents/MacOS/scummvm undefined reference to _dlopen expected to be defined in /usr/lib/libSystem.B.dylib
/Users/firstuser/Desktop/ScummVM.app/Contents/MacOS/scummvm undefined reference to _dlsym expected to be defined in /usr/lib/libSystem.B.dylib
/Users/firstuser/Desktop/ScummVM.app/Contents/MacOS/Trace/BPT trap
Vinterstum
ScummVM Developer

Post by Vinterstum »

New snapshot up, which works :). I'd appreciate if someone could give it a run with a couple of different tests just to confirm that it works properly though (Specifically, test MPEG2 support (Broken sword cutscenes), MP3 and OGG support (and FLAC for that matter), on 10.2.x and 10.3.x.
Macfly77

Post by Macfly77 »

Vinterstum wrote:New snapshot up, which works :). I'd appreciate if someone could give it a run with a couple of different tests just to confirm that it works properly though (Specifically, test MPEG2 support (Broken sword cutscenes), MP3 and OGG support (and FLAC for that matter), on 10.2.x and 10.3.x.
First of all, thank you! It (the universal snapshot) works great in 10.2.8.
I have tested the MP3 and the OGG versions of Flight of the Amazon Queen and they seem to work perfectly.
Can't help you with Broken Sword, though, as I don't own the games.
clone2727
Retired

Post by clone2727 »

The mpeg2 videos of Broken Sword 2 work fine on my 10.2.8.

Thanks for the 10.2.8 snapshots!
Vinterstum
ScummVM Developer

Post by Vinterstum »

Excellent, thanks :). A new 0.9.0(a) release should be up on a couple of days.
ZPedro

Post by ZPedro »

Sorry I'm a bit late. I can report it mounts fine and runs The Dig (I left my other LucasArts game in my student room, unfortunately) perfectly on my iBook G3 running 10.2.8, on my father's iMac G5 running 10.3.9, and on the brand new MacBook (Intel Core Duo 1.83 GHz) running 10.4.6. Than you for the 10.2.8 support, and congrats on solving the -95 mounting problem! However, you might to revert the version to 0.9.0(a) instead of 0.10.0svn for the actual release...
Vinterstum
ScummVM Developer

Post by Vinterstum »

ZPedro wrote:Sorry I'm a bit late. I can report it mounts fine and runs The Dig (I left my other LucasArts game in my student room, unfortunately) perfectly on my iBook G3 running 10.2.8, on my father's iMac G5 running 10.3.9, and on the brand new MacBook (Intel Core Duo 1.83 GHz) running 10.4.6. Than you for the 10.2.8 support, and congrats on solving the -95 mounting problem! However, you might to revert the version to 0.9.0(a) instead of 0.10.0svn for the actual release...
Thanks for the testing :)

Actually that snapshot is an SVN snapshot, not the 0.9.0 tag :). I build those once or twice per week, from the current state of the source code.

The actual 0.9.0a release seems to have propagated to most mirrors now, a direct link is here:
http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/scum ... versal.dmg

I'm having some problems updating the downloads page, but should be fixed soon.
Vinterstum
ScummVM Developer

Post by Vinterstum »

...and the link on the downloads page is now updated (and the now-redundant PPC-only build removed).
ZPedro

Post by ZPedro »

I am happy to report that the 0.9.0a dmg, downloaded off the switch SF.net
mirror, mounts and runs the Dig perfectly fine on my G3 iBook running