Feeble Files

Ask for help with ScummVM problems

Moderator: ScummVM Team

exofreeze
Banned

Post by exofreeze »

Ok... following this thread I succesfully converted all the files on cd 1 and 2. I decided to do 3 and 4 at the same time. I get all my PNG and WAV filers, and I'm using the string:

for %i in (*.smk) do encode_dxa.exe --vorbis %~ni

But it is giving me the same error on every file, which is:

Encode_dxa --vorbis wizard
Encoding Audio...Opening with wav module: WAV file reader
Error: Cannot open output file "wizard.ogg": Permission Denied
Got error from encoder. (check your parameters)
Encoder commandline: oggenc --quality=3 --output="wizard.ogg" "wizard.wav"

It worked on my other disks - any idea whats causing this now? I have 20 gigs of diskpace still available on this drive, and the file properties do not say read-only.

edit
It seems mayber there were too many files in the directory already?? I copied the files for a particular file to a different drive/directory (airlock.smk, png, and wav) and it converted just fine....

odd
domino

Post by domino »

i got the same problem when i was converting files in fat32 partition and once moved to ntfs everything worked fine, seems that fat32 has some limit for maximum files in the directory or something
exofreeze
Banned

Post by exofreeze »

domino wrote:i got the same problem when i was converting files in fat32 partition and once moved to ntfs everything worked fine, seems that fat32 has some limit for maximum files in the directory or something
Thats exactly what it was - I was doing it on my one fat32 drive...
the_butterfly_queen_uk

Post by the_butterfly_queen_uk »

Thankyou for the 'how to' on converting the files :) I've been dying to play this game for ages.

I've followed the steps listed and I've run into a problem during the conversion to dxa. I get this message:
C:\Program Files\AdventureSoft (UK) Ltd\The Feeble Files>encode_dxa agent32
Encoding audio...'lame' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.
Got error from encoder. (check your parameters)
Encoder Commandline: lame -t --vbr-new -b 24 -q 2 -V 4 -B 64 "agent32.wav" "agen
t32.mp3"
I would be grateful if someone could help me :)
clone2727
Retired

Post by clone2727 »

You need lame.exe (you can find it online) to encode the music.
the_butterfly_queen_uk

Post by the_butterfly_queen_uk »

It's working now. Thankyou :)
exofreeze
Banned

Post by exofreeze »

Im not sure what all the whining was earlier in this thread about "taking 2 months" to do this. I have a feeling that was a bit of exaggeration.

Apart from the time it took me to figure out my fat32 drive was slowing things down it took my pc all of 4 hours to do everything from process to smk files to encoding the ogg/dxa files.

It's really not that big a deal....
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

exofreeze wrote: Apart from the time it took me to figure out my fat32 drive was slowing things down it took my pc all of 4 hours to do everything from process to smk files to encoding the ogg/dxa files.

It depends on your computer, of course. I think it took me between 30 and 40 hours to re-encode the Feeble Files cutscenes on my 450 MHz P3. I think the current DXA encoder may be a bit faster, though. The last time I did it, I took smaller steps, so I didn't time it.
Raziel
ScummVM Porter

Post by Raziel »

exofreeze wrote:Im not sure what all the whining was earlier in this thread about "taking 2 months" to do this. I have a feeling that was a bit of exaggeration.

Apart from the time it took me to figure out my fat32 drive was slowing things down it took my pc all of 4 hours to do everything from process to smk files to encoding the ogg/dxa files.

No one was "whining" as you put it.
I (for one) just made a statement

Using a Win98 driven Pentium I running at 200 MHz takes it time to re-encode
and yes together with work between the encoding it TOOK me two weeks.

BTW: On Win98 the batch file works, but only if you put a pause after every file encoded,
otherwise the OS will try to do them all at once, which, of course, crash the encoder...

Just for the record
domino

Post by domino »

just wanted to say that it would be probably better to gather all usable information in one post or make it in faq. i mean when i started to read this whole thread i had a mess in my head. and maybe there should be some information in readme that there is such a topic on forum, couse when i read in readme that i "just" need to convert files and rest of information is tools readme i didnt even know where to start :/
exofreeze
Banned

Post by exofreeze »

Raziel wrote:No one was "whining" as you put it.
I wasn't talking about you, I was reffering specifically to the statement:
"In the case of the Feeble Files, the cutscene file conversion is simply way too much."

and

"I cant leave my PC runnig scripts for hours on end as this is a family computer."

Although, if your the one who claimed it was going to take 2 months - then yes, thats an exaggeration.
PsYcO
Got 2 warnings

Post by PsYcO »

Ad_Enuff wrote:Can the SCUMMVM community that own The Feeble Files 4 CD edition like myself, help each other out and share them somehow on torrent for example?
there's nothing stopping you to do that... but yes ScummVM wont do it, its ilegel, and puts ScummVM at risk for prosecution

but ill let sleeping dogs lie

however, i do have one question, isn't modifying(i assume that includes converting) copyrighted material illegal?
so, wouldn't it be easier to include them in the engine or something, also it may put people off, i know if i had the game i wouldn't do all that, might as well make a boot disc
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

PsYcO wrote: however, i do have one question, isn't modifying(i assume that includes converting) copyrighted material illegal?
I don't know what the law says, but space shifting for "noncommercial personal use" seems to be generally accepted.
PsYcO wrote:so, wouldn't it be easier to include them in the engine or something, also it may put people off, i know if i had the game i wouldn't do all that, might as well make a boot disc
What do you mean by "them"? A Smacker decoder, or the cutscenes? (The latter would fail the "personal use" part, I assume, and besides they're well over 500 MB.)
PsYcO
Got 2 warnings

Post by PsYcO »

eriktorbjorn wrote:What do you mean by "them"? A Smacker decoder, or the cutscenes? (The latter would fail the "personal use" part, I assume, and besides they're well over 500 MB.)
like with 'the dig' no file converting necessary
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

PsYcO wrote:like with 'the dig' no file converting necessary
I agree that it would be convenient, but the way I was told, Rad Game Tools specifically asked us not to. If so, I can see their point: They're still licensing Smacker, so an open-source implementation could affect their sales negatively.

Of course, since then others have reverse-engineer Smacker. Only time will tell whether or not they'll get into trouble for it.