ScummVM 0.9.0 impossible to mount on Mac OSX 10.2.8?

Ask for help with ScummVM problems

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Macfly77

ScummVM 0.9.0 impossible to mount on Mac OSX 10.2.8?

Post by Macfly77 »

Hi.

I have been using successfully ScummVM 0.8.2 on my Mac for the past few months.
I downloaded 0.9.0 this morning but the disk image won't mount. I get an "error 95: failure to mount" message.
I have tried mounting it with various applications (disk image, FlashMount and Mount), but to no avail.
Mount suggested that the file was corrupted and that I should try downloading it again, but after three downloads, no luck.
Please help me!
Thank you.

Steve
Jimbob

Post by Jimbob »

What size is the file that you've downloaded? Does it match with what's listed on the Sourceforge files list (here)?
Macfly77

Post by Macfly77 »

Jimbob wrote:What size is the file that you've downloaded? Does it match with what's listed on the Sourceforge files list (here)?
It's 4.1 MB, which I think matches 4300556 bytes listed on SourceForge.
I have actually tried downloading from various locations (from SourceForge), thinking that maybe one of the locations didn't upload it right, but I keep getting the same message.
After searching the internet and finding several possible suggestions as to what the problem could be, including one that said that the problem might come from the disk image software, I tried mounting another disk image and had no problems.
However, as some other people on this forum seem to be able to use the Mac OSx port of ScummVM (I don't see anyone else complaining about a corrupted file :wink: ), the problem must definitely stem from something I'm doing (or something my computer is doing).
Maybe it's time I upgraded to Panther or Tiger (but for Tiger, I'd definitely have to upgrade my computer!).
Anyway, all the games I'm currently playing run smoothly in ScummVM 0.8.2, so I consider myself happy.
Still, I can't help wondering what the problem is.
joachimeberhard
ScummVM Team Member

Post by joachimeberhard »

I'm no Mac user, but I know that for older MacOSX versions, you have tu use the specific PPC build, as the universal binary works only for (AFAIK) 10.3.9 or above.
joachimeberhard
ScummVM Team Member

Post by joachimeberhard »

Note to Vinterstum:

If yo read this, could you please add the compatibility info directly to the available Mac versions on the downloads page, like it's done for the WinMobile versions, eg package for OSX 10.1.3 and above?

Thanks

Joachim
Macfly77

Post by Macfly77 »

joachimeberhard wrote:I'm no Mac user, but I know that for older MacOSX versions, you have tu use the specific PPC build, as the universal binary works only for (AFAIK) 10.3.9 or above.
I had actually tried to mount the PPC build myself without success before I directed my efforts towards the universal binary.
Thank you anyway.
Jimbob

Post by Jimbob »

I know it's a bit of a hassle but have you tried Pacifist from here. It says in the description it can open dmg files, so you may be able to extract the ScummVM.app from the disk image even though you can't mount it.

If you do try it, use the PPC build .... I'm not too sure if the Universal binary will work in 10.2.8 ... I'll go check that now.
Macfly77

Post by Macfly77 »

Jimbob wrote:I know it's a bit of a hassle but have you tried Pacifist from here. It says in the description it can open dmg files, so you may be able to extract the ScummVM.app from the disk image even though you can't mount it.

If you do try it, use the PPC build .... I'm not too sure if the Universal binary will work in 10.2.8 ... I'll go check that now.
Thanks for your suggestion.
No luck, though. When I try to drop it the PPC build on the Pacifist window, it tells me that it is unable to open the file and that an unknown error has occured.
The funny part (well, not very funny :? ) is that disk image had absolutely no problem mounting Pacifist!
Jimbob

Post by Jimbob »

Macfly77 wrote:
Jimbob wrote:I know it's a bit of a hassle but have you tried Pacifist from here. It says in the description it can open dmg files, so you may be able to extract the ScummVM.app from the disk image even though you can't mount it.

No luck, though. When I try to drop it the PPC build on the Pacifist window, it tells me that it is unable to open the file and that an unknown error has occured.
The funny part (well, not very funny :? ) is that disk image had absolutely no problem mounting Pacifist!
Your download of ScummVM must be corrupt then, surely? Send me a PM, I'll download it and make sure I can mount it using Disk Mounter and Pacifist then email it to you.

EDIT: On second thoughts. it would probably be better if I just zipped up the ScummVM.app for you.
Macfly77

Post by Macfly77 »

Jimbob wrote:
Macfly77 wrote:

Your download of ScummVM must be corrupt then, surely? Send me a PM, I'll download it and make sure I can mount it using Disk Mounter and Pacifist then email it to you.

EDIT: On second thoughts. it would probably be better if I just zipped up the ScummVM.app for you.
Sounds like a plan! Especially as no one else seems to have my problem...
If you have the opportunity, please do it and send it to me via PM. Thanks!
Vinterstum
ScummVM Developer

Post by Vinterstum »

joachimeberhard wrote:Note to Vinterstum:

If yo read this, could you please add the compatibility info directly to the available Mac versions on the downloads page, like it's done for the WinMobile versions, eg package for OSX 10.1.3 and above?

Thanks

Joachim
Good idea, I'll take a look (Been away for a few days).

Anyway: I'd say a corrupted download sounds likely. The current image is in the same format as earlier versions, which -should- be compatible with all MacOS X versions (i.e. no SPARSE images, etc). But I don't have any macs with versions prior to 10.3.9, so I can't really verify this personally.

And yes, the universal binary will only work in versions from 10.3.9 and up I believe, so you'd need the PPC one. That's only relevant for the actual app though, not the image file.