Police quest IV German CD Version crash when entering the options in the game.

Ask for help with ScummVM problems

Moderator: ScummVM Team

gabberhead

Police quest IV German CD Version crash when entering the options in the game.

Post by gabberhead »

i Have the daily build from 4.9.2021. and when i start the game, i can play it without problem. but when i try to enter the options menu, the game crashes with the following message:

ERROR: Failed to load mem 0000:0000!

Then i tried the latest offical version 2.2.0 and the problem is the same.

The crash happens only with activated high resolution option under the engine in the options. When i deactivate it, i can enter the menu without a crash.

Then i tried the official 2.1.2 version, and with that version, the problem is gone. i can enter the menu without the crash with and without the high resolution option.
Praetorian
ScummVM Developer

Re: Police quest IV German CD Version crash when entering the options in the game.

Post by Praetorian »

gabberhead wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 3:06 pm i Have the daily build from 4.9.2021. and when i start the game, i can play it without problem. but when i try to enter the options menu, the game crashes with the following message:

ERROR: Failed to load mem 0000:0000!

Then i tried the latest offical version 2.2.0 and the problem is the same.

The crash happens only with activated high resolution option under the engine in the options. When i deactivate it, i can enter the menu without a crash.

Then i tried the official 2.1.2 version, and with that version, the problem is gone. i can enter the menu without the crash with and without the high resolution option.
I've looked into this one a bit, but I am not the right person to fix this. Still, maybe my following observations could help:

With the kDebugLevelGraphics enabled, the output at the error mark is:

Code: Select all

kAddScreenItem 36:1e92 (iconText)
Failed to load mem 0000:0000!
This is triggered in ScreenItem::setFromObject() (screen_item32.cpp)
https://github.com/scummvm/scummvm/blob ... 2.cpp#L172

By (crudely) removing the the applyPatch() line in script_patches.cpp, the error no longer happens, but then the PQ4 patch for subtitles+audio option in the GUI is no longer functional.
https://github.com/scummvm/scummvm/blob ... cpp#L22233

So the error is related to the patch application, which does not seem to "agree" with the DEU version.
gabberhead

Re: Police quest IV German CD Version crash when entering the options in the game.

Post by gabberhead »

yes, thats the case with the speech and subtitles and the gui in the game and the 2.1.2 version. the option is there, but i can't change anything. but if i change the speech and subitles in the gui from scumvm it works anyway. i can enable and disable the subtitles. so, in my opinion, it doesnt matter if i can not change the speech and suptitles in the game options if i can in scumvm directly. but perhaps it is fixible to change this also in the game gui.
Praetorian
ScummVM Developer

Post by Praetorian »

gabberhead wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 8:56 pm yes, thats the case with the speech and subtitles and the gui in the game and the 2.1.2 version. the option is there, but i can't change anything. but if i change the speech and subitles in the gui from scumvm it works anyway. i can enable and disable the subtitles. so, in my opinion, it doesnt matter if i can not change the speech and suptitles in the game options if i can in scumvm directly. but perhaps it is fixible to change this also in the game gui.
Someone more familiar than me with the SCI32 engines and the patcher code should have a look at this to come up with a proper fix. I would suggest to open a ticket on our bug tracker for this.
https://bugs.scummvm.org