Charset 1 out of bounds - Android Huawei M5 Tablet

Ask for help with ScummVM problems

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Richd82

Charset 1 out of bounds - Android Huawei M5 Tablet

Post by Richd82 »

Hello,

I have installed ScummVM from the Play Store on a Huawei MediaPad M5 lite running Android version 9.

Whenever I try to run a game (tried SoMI, Monkey Island 2, FoA, Last Crusade) I get the following error:
Screenshot_20210821_085127_org.scummvm.scummvm.png
Screenshot_20210821_085127_org.scummvm.scummvm.png (204.97 KiB) Viewed 783 times
I have tried the same game files using ScummVM on my Linux (Lubuntu) machine and they work fine.

The games are stored on internal storage in a folder called Games at the same level as, DCIM, Download, Pictures, etc..

I have also tried downloading from the nightly builds and an earlier build, 2.0 from around 2018 but I get the same issue.

Any ideas?

Thanks
Praetorian
ScummVM Developer

Re: Charset 1 out of bounds - Android Huawei M5 Tablet

Post by Praetorian »

Richd82 wrote: Sat Aug 21, 2021 8:06 am Hello,

I have installed ScummVM from the Play Store on a Huawei MediaPad M5 lite running Android version 9.

Whenever I try to run a game (tried SoMI, Monkey Island 2, FoA, Last Crusade) I get the following error:

Screenshot_20210821_085127_org.scummvm.scummvm.png

I have tried the same game files using ScummVM on my Linux (Lubuntu) machine and they work fine.

The games are stored on internal storage in a folder called Games at the same level as, DCIM, Download, Pictures, etc..

I have also tried downloading from the nightly builds and an earlier build, 2.0 from around 2018 but I get the same issue.

Any ideas?

Thanks
It does seem like this is a data files issue, rather than Android port specific. Can you verify that the required data files have all been copied without integrity issues?
Also please check by starting a fresh new game, ie. without loading any saved game files since those could complicate the situation (SCUMM games create incompatible save games for various sound settings)

I should also say that I've tested ScummVM on the Huawei MediaPad M5 with SoMI, MI2, FoA and Indy 3 (Last Crusade).
Richd82

Post by Richd82 »

Cheers I'll try redoing the games from some Amiga disks and see what happens.
Richd82

Post by Richd82 »

I'm having a bit of trouble atm extracting the data from the adf's in Linux. But if it is the game files not working, how come the same game data files work fine in ScummVM in Linux?
Richd82

Post by Richd82 »

Got it working by using different data files 😊 still interested to know why the other didn't work on android but did on linux... Just out of curiosity
Praetorian
ScummVM Developer

Post by Praetorian »

Richd82 wrote: Sat Aug 21, 2021 11:12 am Got it working by using different data files 😊 still interested to know why the other didn't work on android but did on linux... Just out of curiosity
It could just be that something went wrong in the copy or upload process.
A quick check for this would be to copy the files, as they are on the Android, back to your Linux PC and test running off those copied folders on Linux again.