Cursor Stuttering on Windows 10

Ask for help with ScummVM problems

Moderator: ScummVM Team

milk-and-holy-water

Cursor Stuttering on Windows 10

Post by milk-and-holy-water »

In ScummVM's GUI, as well as in game, my cursor jitters and stutters around at random.
I've tried:
  • Running in windowed mode
  • Grabbing the mouse cursor to the window with Ctrl+M
  • Disabling 'Enhance pointer precision' in windows mouse settings
  • Using the classic theme
  • Running as administrator
  • Using older versions
  • Changing render modes from OpenGL to other options
  • Adding the system environment variable SDL_VIDEODRIVER with a value of "directx"
and nothing has had any effect on it whatsoever - barring the last one, which made it so ScummVM would crash on startup. I haven't been able to find any solutions to this, and point and click games are just about unplayable when my cursor is jittering all over. Any suggestions/fixes?
Praetorian
ScummVM Developer

Re: Cursor Stuttering on Windows 10

Post by Praetorian »

milk-and-holy-water wrote: Sun Jun 27, 2021 12:07 am In ScummVM's GUI, as well as in game, my cursor jitters and stutters around at random.
I've tried:
  • Using older versions
  • Adding the system environment variable SDL_VIDEODRIVER with a value of "directx"
and nothing has had any effect on it whatsoever - barring the last one, which made it so ScummVM would crash on startup. I haven't been able to find any solutions to this, and point and click games are just about unplayable when my cursor is jittering all over. Any suggestions/fixes?
Could you provide some additional details and try a few things if possible, please:
  • What is the ScummVM version you are testing with?
  • Was this not happening for you with an older version and, if so, can you tell in what version or build the issue first appeared (or you first noticed)?
  • Could you backup your scummvm.ini and then delete it, to launch a fresh version of ScummVM and see if it improves anything?
  • Could you check in another PC configuration that you have if the issue is also present there, or if it's specific to your PC configuration?
Kurufinwe

Post by Kurufinwe »

There was a Windows update a couple of months ago that caused massive stuttering in games. The problem has since been fixed, so you might want to check your Windows is fully up-to-date.
milk-and-holy-water

Post by milk-and-holy-water »

Praetorian wrote: Sun Jun 27, 2021 9:01 am
milk-and-holy-water wrote: Sun Jun 27, 2021 12:07 am In ScummVM's GUI, as well as in game, my cursor jitters and stutters around at random.
I've tried:
  • Using older versions
Could you provide some additional details and try a few things if possible, please:
  • What is the ScummVM version you are testing with?
  • Was this not happening for you with an older version and, if so, can you tell in what version or build the issue first appeared (or you first noticed)?
  • Could you backup your scummvm.ini and then delete it, to launch a fresh version of ScummVM and see if it improves anything?
  • Could you check in another PC configuration that you have if the issue is also present there, or if it's specific to your PC configuration?
I've tested with the latest version, as well as a random selection of other older versions. The problem persisted in all versions - and on fresh installs. Windows 10 is up to date, and this is the only application/game I have this issue in. I don't have another PC configuration I can test it on.
Praetorian
ScummVM Developer

Post by Praetorian »

milk-and-holy-water wrote: Fri Aug 13, 2021 10:15 pm I've tested with the latest version, as well as a random selection of other older versions. The problem persisted in all versions - and on fresh installs.
Please provide some more specific info on the above.
Are you testing with stable release versions or daily development builds? What is the specific version info at least for the latest one you've tested?

Also, could you describe the jitter/stutter issue a bit more:
- Does the issue occur while moving the mouse or does it also happen when the mouse is idle?
- How does the cursor stutter/jitter? Eg, Does it jump around the screen, teleport to a screen corner, jitter around the spot where the cursor should be, follows your mouse movements but pauses for a bit then resumes movement, or something else?
- How often does it tend to happen? Does it seem to be connected to something the game engine is doing at the time (loading, preparing to play a sound etc)?
- Which games have you tested?
- Is it possible to provide a video recording of it?