ScummVM MT-32 Emulator "Crackles"

Ask for help with ScummVM problems

Moderator: ScummVM Team

EstelRandir

ScummVM MT-32 Emulator "Crackles"

Post by EstelRandir »

Using Win10, Daily 3-17-21 x32, ScummVM's built in MT-32 emulator.

The sound crackles. When using my own version of MUNT the sound does not crackle. It seems to be the emulator. I tried 3 different versions of the sound files and the ScummVM MT-32 emulator still crackles.
Praetorian
ScummVM Developer

Re: ScummVM MT-32 Emulator "Crackles"

Post by Praetorian »

EstelRandir wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 5:28 am Using Win10, Daily 3-17-21 x32, ScummVM's built in MT-32 emulator.

The sound crackles. When using my own version of MUNT the sound does not crackle. It seems to be the emulator. I tried 3 different versions of the sound files and the ScummVM MT-32 emulator still crackles.
Can you try the Windows snapshots from the Downloads page? Those are built separately from the Buildbot ones and have optimizations enabled for the build.

https://www.scummvm.org/downloads/#daily
Direct link (edit: fixed):
https://downloads.scummvm.org/frs/daily ... -win32.exe

Also any particular reason you're testing with 32bit version of ScummVM? I don't really expect much difference with the 64bit version, but you may as well try and see if it improves performance.
EstelRandir

Post by EstelRandir »

Praetorian wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 3:50 pm
EstelRandir wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 5:28 am Using Win10, Daily 3-17-21 x32, ScummVM's built in MT-32 emulator.

Can you try the Windows snapshots from the Downloads page? Those are built separately from the Buildbot ones and have optimizations enabled for the build.

Direct link:
https://downloads.scummvm.org/frs/daily ... -win32.zip

Also any particular reason you're testing with 32bit version of ScummVM? I don't really expect much difference with the 64bit version, but you may as well try and see if it improves performance.
I tested "ScummVM Snapshot for Windows (85M Win32 .exe sha256)". There is a definite improvement for the "MT-32 emulation" preferred audio device. I compared the same games from this version to the daily build that I normally use (the issue occurred in much earlier versions as well). I only heard a couple of pops here and there. The issue is most noticeable on the introduction music of games such as King's Quest games, Day Of The Tentacle, The Legend Of Krandia 1 & 2, even Discworld 1.

Why x32? I changed back from x64 due to an issue with a bug in that version causing a game to crash. I reported it and it got fixed rather quickly. And the direct link you linked was to the tools not the snapshot. Lol, I was so confused for a few minutes.

Also the snapshot was allowing me to close the game via the windows "X" and it would return to the game launcher instead of closing ScummVM completely. I wish the regular builds would do that as well.
Praetorian
ScummVM Developer

Post by Praetorian »

EstelRandir wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 9:57 pm
Praetorian wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 3:50 pm

Direct link:
https://downloads.scummvm.org/frs/daily ... -win32.zip

I tested "ScummVM Snapshot for Windows (85M Win32 .exe sha256)". There is a definite improvement for the "MT-32 emulation" preferred audio device. I compared the same games from this version to the daily build that I normally use (the issue occurred in much earlier versions as well). I only heard a couple of pops here and there. The issue is most noticeable on the introduction music of games such as King's Quest games, Day Of The Tentacle, The Legend Of Krandia 1 & 2, even Discworld 1.

Why x32? I changed back from x64 due to an issue with a bug in that version causing a game to crash. I reported it and it got fixed rather quickly. And the direct link you linked was to the tools not the snapshot. Lol, I was so confused for a few minutes.

Also the snapshot was allowing me to close the game via the windows "X" and it would return to the game launcher instead of closing ScummVM completely. I wish the regular builds would do that as well.
Right, sorry about the wrong link; I must have done it quickly and selected the wrong one. I edited on my post above to put the correct one.

So you mention a definite improvement, that is good. I wonder if a proper release build would improve things even more. If you are able to build ScummVM on your own, you might try the --enable-release --disable-debug options for the configure command before building. "--enable-release" includes "--enable-optimizations" so you don't have to put the latter in explicitly in that case. "Optimizations" afaik mean using special optimization settings for the compiling process (typically optimization level 3 (-O3)). Enable-release should remove assert checks from the code, maybe further improve speed for a few cases.

The "return to launcher" thing is a relatively new addition (optional setting). I didn't think it would be enabled by default in the Windows snapshots, but I guess it might be? @rootfather might know more on this.
The options for this is via the ScummVM launcher under "Options" -> tab "Misc".