How to stop random word pop-ups on some game starts?

Ask for help with ScummVM problems

Moderator: ScummVM Team

tomexplodes

How to stop random word pop-ups on some game starts?

Post by tomexplodes »

For example, the GOG version of QFG1VGA comes up with this at the beginning:

[img=https://i.imgur.com/EGyoY7c.png][/img]

and a few other games have something like that as well. It's not a big deal, but is there a way to turn it off? My search has been fruitless.

EDIT boy it sure doesn't like to let me do images or quotes no matter what I do
EDIT AGAIN Also yes I know that looks like some hacked or stolen version based on the message, but I swear to you, it's the GOG version that I bought and own.
criezy
ScummVM Developer

Re: How to stop random word pop-ups on some game starts?

Post by criezy »

I have QFG1VGA from GOG as well and checked that I don't see this myself. I have also never seen it for other games either. Maybe this is platform specific. Are you on Windows, or maybe Linux (I am on macOS myself)? This looks like a ScummVM OSD message, but I can't find any code that would display the game name on the OSD, so I am a bit perplex.
tomexplodes

Post by tomexplodes »

I'm on Widows 10, using the dev build from yesterday.

And it does only seem to be on QFG4 and QFG1VGA from my GOG installs. No idea why it's happening

I will run a bunch more games from GOG and see if it happens.

EDIT AGAIN: Okay, I reinstalled the two from GOG and don't get anymore OSD messages. I had copied them directly from my old PC so I'm not really sure what happened there, but it's fixed now!

one more EDIT just for clarification: I now believe that sometime in the past I may have snagged some preset ScummVM folders OF GAMES THAT I OWN! from somewhere on the internet, just for convenience. This is now what I believe caused OSD messages to show up. I have no idea who put them in, how, or why, but since I've made sure to use legit sources, no more problems. So I hope this clears that up.
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

I believe those messages happen when you use Roland MT-32 music with the MT-32-emulator. On the real thing, the message would have popped up on the MT-32's display instead. I searched around for a bit, and came across The Quest Studios Archive site, where they show a picture of an MT-32 displaying an "INSERT BUCKAZOID" message. (I think that's from Space Quest III.)

I can't see any way to disable the messages while keeping the MT-32 music.

Edit: The "So U Want 2 B A HERO" message is present when playing Quest For Glory I directly from the Quest For Glory Anthology CD (both with the qg1new and the qg1old folders), so it almost certainly wasn't a later hack.
MusicallyInspired

Post by MusicallyInspired »

eriktorbjorn is correct. It's the custom MT-32 LCD display messages. It only displays when using the MT-32 Emulator. There are three total messages in almost every game. Two that load at the beginning: one while the sysex is dumping, and a second after it completes. Then when you quit the game there is another one. I don't think there's any way to disable them. But it's only at the beginning and end of every game anyway.
tomexplodes

Post by tomexplodes »

Ahhh, I see. I was afraid I'd done something stupid, haha. Thanks for the explanation!