Scummvm.ini options for Ultima VI?

Ask for help with ScummVM problems

Moderator: ScummVM Team

bliznik

Scummvm.ini options for Ultima VI?

Post by bliznik »

So I'm just starting to play Ultima VI. I was a bit disappointed to find that I'm unable to Transfer my character from Ultima V, but I guess I can work around that using spam, spam, spam, humbug in the game.

One question I had...how do I tweak settings? I know in Nuvie there is a whole XML list of options that I may use...do any of these work? I tried changing the scummvm.ini file to have "scale_factor=2" or "skip_intro=yes" but that din't seem to do anything. Also, it appears as though the game itself has some options that don't seem to apply, like I tried to select that the intro be skipped, but I was not able to. I tried to select that I start Savage Empire or Martian Dreams, and that didn't seem to work either.

Is there documentation somewhere for ScummVM for Ultima VI that lists out the available options and what works/does not work? Or is it just trial and error for now?
dreammaster
ScummVM Developer

Re: Scummvm.ini options for Ultima VI?

Post by dreammaster »

bliznik wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 3:59 pm One question I had...how do I tweak settings? I know in Nuvie there is a whole XML list of options that I may use...do any of these work? I tried changing the scummvm.ini file to have "scale_factor=2" or "skip_intro=yes" but that din't seem to do anything. Also, it appears as though the game itself has some options that don't seem to apply, like I tried to select that the intro be skipped, but I was not able to. I tried to select that I start Savage Empire or Martian Dreams, and that didn't seem to work either.
Some options relating to resolution and scaling no longer follow the Nuvie settings, but rather use the ScummVM systems. As for skip_intro, I checked, and it turned out to have been accidentally removed. I've re-added it back in and tested it.. with a setting in scummvm.ini in the game section, I added ultima6/skip_intro=yes, and it worked - settings put in scummvm.ini are in the form of section/keyname. Or you can provide your own nuvie.cfg just like the original did.
bliznik

Post by bliznik »

dreammaster wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 4:49 am Some options relating to resolution and scaling no longer follow the Nuvie settings, but rather use the ScummVM systems. As for skip_intro, I checked, and it turned out to have been accidentally removed. I've re-added it back in and tested it.. with a setting in scummvm.ini in the game section, I added ultima6/skip_intro=yes, and it worked - settings put in scummvm.ini are in the form of section/keyname. Or you can provide your own nuvie.cfg just like the original did.
Oh OK, thanks for adding that back in! It would be nice to know which of the Nuvie settings work are active and which ones are not...maybe in the wiki? I'm not sure the best way to provide that information.
dreammaster
ScummVM Developer

Post by dreammaster »

bliznik wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 4:24 am Oh OK, thanks for adding that back in! It would be nice to know which of the Nuvie settings work are active and which ones are not...maybe in the wiki? I'm not sure the best way to provide that information.
I agree. It would be helpful if someone could flesh out / transfer information on the settings in the Wiki. I'm just a bit too busy with AGS at the moment for it to be a priority.
bliznik

Post by bliznik »

dreammaster wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 5:45 pm I agree. It would be helpful if someone could flesh out / transfer information on the settings in the Wiki. I'm just a bit too busy with AGS at the moment for it to be a priority.
Makes sense. Priorities. ^_^ Good luck with AGS!
Gallandz

Post by Gallandz »

I would also like to use the "Scale_factor=2" option in Ultima VI; did you ever figure out how to add this? Everything is too small with 1x

Also I have a "Data" directory in my Nuvie install which let me use a custom avatar model that matches my character portrait. Is there a way to use this in ScummVM?

Is the Nuvie build in the daily ScummVM more updated than the last daily that was posted September 4, 2019?

Looking forward to replaying Ultima 6 and the WoU games with tthese improvements!

Thanks.
dreammaster
ScummVM Developer

Post by dreammaster »

Gallandz wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 2:29 pm I would also like to use the "Scale_factor=2" option in Ultima VI; did you ever figure out how to add this? Everything is too small with 1x
From what I remember, the scale factor from the Ini isn't used anymore. Instead, you use the ScummVM launcher's graphics tab to specify the renderer and scaling you want to use. The default OpenGL allows you to drag resize the window arbitrarily and it should remember the size the next time you play.
Gallandz wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 2:29 pm Also I have a "Data" directory in my Nuvie install which let me use a custom avatar model that matches my character portrait. Is there a way to use this in ScummVM?
I'm not aware of this functionality, but if it worked in Nuvie it should still work in ScummVM. If it doesn't, I'd encourage you to post a bug to the bugtracker at bugs.scummvm.org with an uploaded copy of the custom files, and the custom ini file you used. That'd help to investigate why it's not working now.
Gallandz wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 2:29 pm Is the Nuvie build in the daily ScummVM more updated than the last daily that was posted September 4, 2019?
Honsetly, there's not many improvements to Nuvie from when it was standalone to being in ScummVM now. Mainly that it now runs on all the systems ScummVM supports, and it has ScummVM's enhancements, like enhanced savegames, and more flexible graphics options from the ScummVM launcher. The overall engine has seen a lot of work by mduggan, but he's been mainly focusing on Ultima VIII and the Crusader games.
Gallandz wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 2:29 pm Looking forward to replaying Ultima 6 and the WoU games with tthese improvements!

Thanks.
captaink

Post by captaink »

I was looking for some explanation of the options but couldn't find it since the Nuvie Sourceforge site got changed to their new format. I used the Wayback machine on it and found the following, which I'm going to copy-paste so it's on somewhere live, but someone with wiki editing access should put it there. It's talking about XML editing, but now most of these options are in the main menu. They are not in the same order/groups as they are in the ScummVM menu, so if you don't see one, keep looking. I think the only option I didn't find an explanation for is "non-square pixels"

The "Input" block
enable_doubleclick
Description: Determines whether doubleclicking will do anything. It will talk, search, use objects, and read objects. In combat mode it will actors with an alignment other than good and objects. In new style or with doubleclick_opens_containers it will open container gumps instead of searching.
Possible values: yes (default), no

doubleclick_opens_containers
Description: Determines whether doubleclicking will show container gumps when not in new style. enable_doubleclick must be yes for this to work. There are some display issues when dragging outside the map window but it is fixed when the gump is closed.
Possible values: yes, no (default)

party_view_targeting
Description: Determines whether the party view (party roster) screen can be targeted with cast, talk, use, look, and items moved from inside the inventory.

new_command_bar
Description: Determines whether the new command bar is used when you press the new_command_bar key (,).

enabled_dragging
Description: Determines whether you can drag and drop/move items. Full screen map will always be at least yes.

look_on_left_click
Description: Allows you to look (as if using the command) with a single left mouse click. This only works on the map area. It doesn't work in the inventory.

walk_with_left_button
Description: Determines whether holding down the left mouse button when you cannot drag will cause you to walk.

direction_selects_target
Description: When you are asked for a direction, and it can only be 1 tile away (interface is normal, casting wind change, or moving an actor), normally the target is selected when you press a directional key. With this option set to no, you can move the cursor around with the directional keys and select the target with the return (do_action) key. This is handy for selecting diagonal directions on devices that only have 4 directional keys.

interface
Description: Determines how dropping and drag and drop work.
Possible values
normal (default) - will allow you to only drop within original screen range and if nothing is blocking the path. In normal you can only drag and manipulate items if it is within one tile.
fullscreen - will allow you to drag and manipulate items anywhere on screen that isn't blocked. You are restricted to normal setting when in combat mode. Drop animation is disabled.
ignore_block - is like fullscreen except it also ignores whether the path is blocked and isn't restricted when in combat mode.

lighting
Description: Determines how darkness looks.
Possible values:
original (default) - uses the blocky darkness used in the original game
smooth - nicer and more realistic
none - full brightness all the time

enable_cursors
Description: Determines whether the Ultima 6 cursors or the default SDL cursor is used.

converse_gump
Description: Yes means you use an Ultima 7+ style conversation gump instead of the original conversation system. You can still type with this gump. New style always uses this gump.

use_text_gumps
Description: Yes means you use an Ultima 7 style pop up graphics like signs, books, and sctolls instead of displaying text in the bottom right corner. Currently, only signs are implemented (and only partially). New style always uses these gumps.

party_formation
Description: Determines what party formation is used
Possible values:
standard (default) - puts the first follower behind in a triangle with a gap between each party member.
row - Party members line up behind and to the left of Avatar.
column - Party members line up behind Avatar.
delta - is an open triangle formation with Avatar at front.

show_console
Description: Determines whether the startup text is shown.

The "video" block
game_style
Description: Determines which game style to use. Original style is the original interface and backgrounds but with some improvements like better mouse controls. It is restricted to a 320x200 game size. All other game styles can be 320x200 or larger. Original+ gets rid of some useless background to show more of the game map. Original+ will have will stop drawing the map when the user interface (UI) begins. Original+ full map will draw the map underneath the UI if the game height is greater than 200, else it will use Original+ instead. New style displays the game map for the entire screen and uses a completely new, Ultima 7 like, interface with popup gumps and conversations. Some of there new style interfaces, converse_gump, use_text_gumps, new_command_bar, and doubleclick_opens_containers can be used in the other game styles.
Possible values:
original (default)
new
original+
original+_full_map

combat_changes_music - determines if toggling combat will stop playing the current track and change the music

vehicles_change_music - determines if entering and exiting a vehicle will stop playing the current track and change the music

conversations_stop_music - determines if starting a conversations stops music

stop_music_on_group_change - determines if changing the music group will stop the current track and change the music.

Level 1 plays random. Levels 2-4 play dungeon. Level 5 plays gargoyle. Entering a vehicle will play boat. Entering combat plays combat.

file, title, group

brit.m, Rule Britannia, random
forest.m, Wanderer (Forest), random
stones.m, Stones, random
ultima.m, Ultima VI Theme, random

engage.m, Engagement and Melee - combat

hornpipe.m, Captain Johne's Hornpipe, boat

gargoyle.m, Audchar Gargl Zenmur, gargoyle

dungeon.m, Dungeon, dungeon

skip_intro - determines whether the introductory sequence and menu is shown or skipped. The Avatar will have bad stats if you skip character creation.

show_eggs - determines whether eggs are shown or hidden. Eggs (or triggers) are hidden objects that spawn monsters and reagents.

roof_mode - determines whether roofs are show. Roofs are removed when you are inside, near the north or west side, or you are next to a window or open doorway of a building that has a roof. Only some of the buildings in Ultima 6 have roofs. MD and SE don't have any yet.

show_stealing - determines whether PRIVATE PROPERTY will be displayed when you use the look command on items that will trigger stealing if you take them. This is only valid in Ultima 6.

use_new_dolls - (non-new style only) determines whether the new actor dolls are used or not.

map_tile_lighting - Yes means map tile data is used to provide extra lighting like lava. It wasn't used in the original engine. Yes is default for U6 and SE. No is default in MD because the canals are lit (it looks nice though).

converse_solid_bg - Yes means the conversation gump uses a solid background. No means the the background will be a pattern of dots. Original style must have a solid background. For original+ styles to have a non-solid background, their game_width minus border_width must be greater than or equal to converse_width. border_width is 158 in U6, 144 in MD, and 142 in SE.

free_balloon_movement - (U6 only) allows you to move the balloon in whatever direction you want as long as someone in the party has a magic fan.

min_brightness
Description: allows you to control how dark the screen gets. 0 is the darkest and 255 is full brightness. Original lighting only increases with multiples of 20 through up til and including 120 (not counting 255). With original lighting and higher game sizes, any less than full brightness will completely black out a decent amount of the screen.
Possible values: any integer from 0 to 255. 0 (default)

enabled - must be enabled to use cheats

enable_hackmove - toggles hackmover. This allows moving of most objects that you cannot move by normal means.

party_all_the_time - if this is on, anyone you ask to join you will join. This also includes the ability to have more party members than the original party limit allows.

Keyboard Commands
Some other commands have been changed for the sake of having more comfortable commands (such as the one for saving, since the saving and loading mechanisms have been integrated into one). Here is a list of commands you can use.

; - This will use the multi-use function that brings up a target cursor. When you select a target, the game will act as if you double clicked on the target.
. - toggle_original_plus_command_bar
, - New command bar (must be enabled through the cfg or menu if not using new style.
` - Changes combat strategy if inventory is showing
/ - Show party roster screen
ESC - Pass, Closes menus, and cancels actions
SPACE - Pass
A - Attack
CTRL-A - Toggle audio
B - Toggle combat mode
CTRL-C - Toggle cheats enabled
D - Drop
CTRL-D - Decrease debug output level by 1, min 0
E - Toggle egg display (cheat) (only works in U6 at the moment)
ALT-E - Toggle ethereal mode (walk through walls (cheat)
ALT-CTRL-E - Toggle actor spawning (cheat)
CTRL-F toggle_fps_display
G - Get
ALT-CTRL-G - Toggle god mode (cheat)
ALT-H Toggle hack mover (cheat)
ALT-CTRL-H - Heal party (cheat)
I - Avatar's doll gump, pressing it again cycles through the party members (new style only)
ALT-I - toggle no darkness
CTRL-I - Increase debug output level by 1, max 7, higher gives more detail
L - Look
CTRL-L or CTRL-R - Load the newest saved game
M - Move
CTRL-M - Toggle music
ALT-CTRL-P - Toggle pickpocket mode (cheat)
Q and CTRL-Q - Quit
ALT-Q - Quit (no dialog)
S - Save/Load menu
CTRL-S toggle sfx
T - Talk
CTRL-T - Teleport to the mouse cursor (cheat)
U - Use
X - Toggle X-ray mode (cheat)
ALT-X - Quit
ALT-A - select attack on the command bar
ALT-B - select toggle combat on the command bar
ALT-D - select drop on the command bar
ALT-G - select get on the command bar
ALT-L - select look on the command bar
ALT-M - select move on the command bar
ALT-T - select talk on the command bar
ALT-U - select use on the command bar
Enter (RETURN) and KP_Enter- Confirm actions such as attack and look
ALT-Enter (RETURN) - Toggle fullscreen
0 - Party mode
1 through 9 - Solo mode with the respective party member slot number
F1 through F9 - Show inventory of the respective party member slot number
Alt-F1 through Alt-F9 - Show doll gump of the respective party member slot number (fullscreen map mode only)
F10 - Show party roster screen
CTRL-1 through CTRL-9 - Show stats of the respective party member slot number
- and = - Scroll between party member inventory or stat pages.
KP - and KP + - Scroll between party member inventory or stat pages.
Home and End - Scroll to front and end of party members in inventory or stat page
Arrow keys and KP numbers - Move the selected character
Tab - Switch cursor to and from the inventory. Move the cursor with arrow keys. Enter will ready items, open containers, and use the buttons.
Pageup - Scrolls up through the message scroll
Pagedown - Scrolls down through the message scroll

Alt Codes (DO NOT WORK in ScummVM)
You enter alt codes by holding down the alt key and typing a sequence of numbers shown below. They are mostly cheats.

213 - Shows an overhead map. Displays info in the dialog box. First two numbers are your karma. The next 4 are the time. The last 7 ones are the coordinates
Example: 67135307C0334 means 67 karma, 13:53 (1:53 PM), 07C x, 033 y, 4 z
214 - Teleport party to x, y, z hex coordinates like the ones given in the example above.
215 - Advance the clock an hour.
216 - Shows the time
222 - Toggle ethereal mode (walk through walls)
300 - Show npc portrait. Values are 1 through 191.
314 - Teleport party to list of places
400 - Talk to npc number, Values are 2 through 202.
414 - Teleport party to npc number, Values are 2 through 202. Other values teleport to the dead npc area.
456 - Polymorph any npc to object number. Object values are 0 through 431. Npc values are 1 through 187
500 - Control npc number. Values are 1 through 187 for normal npcs. Most npcs from 188 to 255 are temporary npcs or statues.
501 - Resurrects npc number. Values are 2 through 187 for normal npcs. Most npcs from 188 to 255 are temporary npcs or statues.
600 - Edit roofs. You must be using new style view and have show_roofs enabled.