Unable to save my game in ScummVM

Ask for help with ScummVM problems

Moderator: ScummVM Team

St_Eddie

Unable to save my game in ScummVM

Post by St_Eddie »

I recently upgraded to Windows 10 (from Windows 8.1) and I am now unable to save my game in any of the titles in ScummVM. I get the following error message...

Please can somebody advise me on how to fix this problem. I tried changing the save path but to no avail.

Thank you.
Praetorian
ScummVM Developer

Re: Unable to save my game in ScummVM

Post by Praetorian »

St_Eddie wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 7:05 pm I recently upgraded to Windows 10 (from Windows 8.1) and I am now unable to save my game in any of the titles in ScummVM. I get the following error message...

Please can somebody advise me on how to fix this problem. I tried changing the save path but to no avail.

Thank you.
I believe the save path is indeed the issue here. Windows 10 will not allow applications to write to the Program Files folders, unless they have enhanced privileges.

I would suggest setting a save path to a user created folder or path, outside Program Files, so eg.:

Code: Select all

C:\scummvmSaves
Or set it to the current default for Windows (just remove the explicitly set savepath for the game and globally) which is in

Code: Select all

%APPDATA%\ScummVM\Saved games
St_Eddie

Post by St_Eddie »

Thank you for the advice. I was able to solve the issue by running ScummVM as admin.

Whilst I'm here I may as well ask if there's a known issue with exiting to the right in the cemetery in Gabriel Knight: Sins of the Fathers? I'm currently doing a let's play of the game for my stream and it took me ages to click in exactly the right spot to go between screens in the cemetery. The <EXIT icon appears and I click it but Gabriel doesn't walk off-screen. I have to spam the mouse button to find the seemingly single pixel which actually allows Gabriel to exit the screen. I don't remember having this issue the previous times I played through the game.
Praetorian
ScummVM Developer

Post by Praetorian »

St_Eddie wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 7:18 pm Thank you for the advice. I was able to solve the issue by running ScummVM as admin.

Whilst I'm here I may as well ask if there's a known issue with exiting to the right in the cemetery in Gabriel Knight: Sins of the Fathers? I'm currently doing a let's play of the game for my stream and it took me ages to click in exactly the right spot to go between screens in the cemetery. The <EXIT icon appears and I click it but Gabriel doesn't walk off-screen. I have to spam the mouse button to find the seemingly single pixel which actually allows Gabriel to exit the screen. I don't remember having this issue the previous times I played through the game.
I don't think this is a known issue. At least searching in the bug tracker did not return any matching results for me.
Best thing to do, would be to report this as a new ticket on our bug tracker, then, attaching a relevant saved game.
Also please make sure you are testing with the most recent stable version of ScummVM or, if possible, the most recent development build.
Mustrum

Post by Mustrum »

St_Eddie wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 7:18 pm I was able to solve the issue by running ScummVM as admin.
Never run a program as administrator, you will only get problems.
Because of the save games, there is the path tab in the ScummVM settings to select the save location (for all games or specific game).

https://docs.scummvm.org/en/v2.2-docs/s ... paths.html

If you used to play Gabriel Knight as an administrator, the save game files will not have write permissions when you play GK as a normal user.