"iconpath" parameter in config file

Ask for help with ScummVM problems

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Telev

"iconpath" parameter in config file

Post by Telev »

Hello,

I read in the documentation the existence of the "iconpath" parameter.
But, that doesn't work.
In the doc, it is specified this:

Code: Select all

Specifies the path to icons to use as overlay for the ScummVM icon in the Windows taskbar or the macOS Dock when running a game. 
The icon files should be named after the gameid, and be an ICO file on Windows, or a PNG file on macOS.
However, the icon of ScummVM in the taskbar never change.
Did I misunderstand the use or usefulness of this parameter, the english is not my primary language ?

I have tried this parameter with the stable and the dailybuild.

Regards,
Praetorian
ScummVM Developer

Re: "iconpath" parameter in config file

Post by Praetorian »

Telev wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 4:00 pm Hello,

I read in the documentation the existence of the "iconpath" parameter.
But, that doesn't work.
In the doc, it is specified this:

Specifies the path to icons to use as overlay for the ScummVM icon in the Windows taskbar or the macOS Dock when running a game. 
The icon files should be named after the gameid, and be an ICO file on Windows, or a PNG file on macOS.
However, the icon of ScummVM in the taskbar never change.
Did I misunderstand the use or usefulness of this parameter, the english is not my primary language ?

I have tried this parameter with the stable and the dailybuild.

Regards,
It's a misspelling on the documentation. The parameter is named "iconspath" (note the "s")

I've just tested it with a stable and dev build and it seems to work, although the effect, at least on Windows 10, is not very noticeable. You still get the "S" logo of ScummVM but this time it has also the icon of the game, in a tiny circle at the bottom right.

Anyway, here's the relevant part of my scummvm.ini for Blade Runner.
I put the icon in the game folder, so the game path and icon path are the same as shown below.
Both "bladerunner.ico" and "bladerunner-win-1.ico" work as names for the ico. According to the ScummVM source code (common/taskbar.h), "bladerunner-bladerunner.ico" would also work (pattern: <engineid>-<gameid>.ico)

[bladerunner-win-1]
description=Blade Runner (Windows/English)
iconspath=D:\Games\Blade Runner\
path=D:\Games\Blade Runner\
engineid=bladerunner
gameid=bladerunner
Again, according to the code, the ico file can also be in a "icons" subfolder under the path specified for "iconspath".

//Icons can be either in a subfolder named "icons" or directly in the path
And, if no "iconspath" is specified, then ScummVM also looks for an "extrapath" setting. You can set the extra path without editing the scummvm.ini, from the ScummVM GUI (launcher) -- select the game from the game list, click "Edit Game...", then click on the "Paths" tab, and finally click on the "Extra Path..." to set it.

---
The alternative would be to do as GOG does and skip the "iconspath" parameter. GOG uses a batch file (.bat) to run a ScummVM supported game, and they just set the game icon to be the icon of that .bat file; you can do that by right click on the bat file, select "Properties" and use the "Change Icon..." option to set the icon you want for it.
Telev

Re: "iconpath" parameter in config file

Post by Telev »

@Praetorian
Many thanks for your clear answer.
Now it's working.

So, with this parameter, i get a small icon over the S icon.
If I want to replace the S icon, I create a shortcut with the icon that directly launches the game.