Ultima VIII bug reports

Ask for help with ScummVM problems

Moderator: ScummVM Team

bliznik

Ultima VIII bug reports

Post by bliznik »

Hey all, so I just started playing Ultima VIII, and I've encountered a few bugs, so I wanted to report them here so that the right people would see.

(1) The ini file.
- The scummvm.ini file has some Pentagram settings that can be tweaked, but there's nothing in the ScummVM documentation that refers to that.
- The ini settings that can be tweaked can be found here (http://pentagram.sourceforge.net/docs.php) (should these tweakable settings be listed in documentation in the wiki somewhere?)
-̶ ̶S̶o̶m̶e̶ ̶o̶f̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶s̶e̶ ̶d̶o̶n̶'̶t̶ ̶w̶o̶r̶k̶,̶ ̶l̶i̶k̶e̶ ̶s̶e̶t̶t̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶"̶w̶i̶d̶t̶h̶"̶ ̶a̶n̶d̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶"̶h̶e̶i̶g̶h̶t̶"̶ ̶(̶o̶r̶ ̶"̶s̶c̶a̶l̶e̶x̶"̶ ̶a̶n̶d̶ ̶"̶s̶c̶a̶l̶e̶y̶"̶)̶
- ^ Oh, this works in the new "daily build" I'll use the "daily build" from now on to test things
(̶2̶)̶ ̶o̶n̶e̶-̶w̶a̶y̶ ̶w̶a̶l̶l̶ ̶i̶n̶ ̶T̶e̶n̶e̶b̶r̶a̶e̶ ̶-̶ ̶J̶u̶s̶t̶ ̶N̶ ̶o̶f̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶c̶a̶s̶t̶l̶e̶ ̶i̶s̶ ̶a̶ ̶g̶u̶a̶r̶d̶h̶o̶u̶s̶e̶.̶ ̶T̶h̶e̶ ̶o̶n̶l̶y̶ ̶w̶a̶y̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶g̶e̶t̶ ̶i̶n̶ ̶i̶s̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶j̶u̶m̶p̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶2̶n̶d̶ ̶s̶t̶o̶r̶y̶ ̶a̶n̶d̶ ̶e̶n̶t̶e̶r̶ ̶a̶ ̶d̶o̶o̶r̶ ̶
-̶ ̶I̶n̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶R̶ ̶t̶o̶w̶e̶r̶ ̶o̶f̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶g̶u̶a̶r̶d̶h̶o̶u̶s̶e̶,̶ ̶o̶n̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶b̶o̶t̶t̶o̶m̶ ̶f̶l̶o̶o̶r̶,̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶r̶i̶g̶h̶t̶ ̶o̶f̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶s̶t̶a̶i̶r̶s̶,̶ ̶i̶s̶ ̶a̶ ̶w̶a̶l̶l̶.̶ ̶Y̶o̶u̶ ̶c̶a̶n̶ ̶w̶a̶l̶k̶ ̶N̶ ̶t̶h̶r̶o̶u̶g̶h̶ ̶t̶h̶a̶t̶ ̶w̶a̶l̶l̶,̶ ̶b̶u̶t̶ ̶c̶a̶n̶'̶t̶ ̶w̶a̶l̶k̶ ̶S̶ ̶t̶h̶r̶o̶u̶g̶h̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶w̶a̶l̶l̶.̶ ̶(̶I̶ ̶t̶e̶s̶t̶e̶d̶ ̶t̶h̶i̶s̶ ̶a̶g̶a̶i̶n̶s̶t̶ ̶e̶x̶e̶c̶u̶t̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶t̶h̶i̶s̶ ̶i̶n̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶D̶o̶s̶B̶O̶X̶.̶.̶.̶i̶t̶'̶s̶ ̶a̶n̶ ̶i̶s̶s̶u̶e̶ ̶I̶ ̶o̶n̶l̶y̶ ̶s̶e̶e̶ ̶i̶n̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶S̶c̶u̶m̶m̶V̶M̶ ̶v̶e̶r̶s̶i̶o̶n̶)̶
- ^ Also fixed in the new "daily build" so long as I start a new savegame
(̶3̶)̶ ̶S̶a̶v̶e̶g̶a̶m̶e̶ ̶i̶n̶c̶o̶n̶s̶i̶s̶t̶e̶n̶t̶ ̶w̶i̶t̶h̶ ̶j̶o̶u̶r̶n̶a̶l̶ ̶
-̶ ̶Y̶o̶u̶ ̶c̶a̶n̶ ̶u̶s̶e̶ ̶F̶5̶ ̶a̶n̶d̶ ̶F̶7̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶s̶a̶v̶e̶ ̶a̶n̶d̶ ̶r̶e̶s̶t̶o̶r̶e̶ ̶s̶a̶v̶e̶g̶a̶m̶e̶s̶.̶ ̶Y̶o̶u̶ ̶c̶a̶n̶ ̶a̶l̶s̶o̶ ̶s̶a̶v̶e̶ ̶a̶n̶d̶ ̶r̶e̶s̶t̶o̶r̶e̶ ̶u̶s̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶j̶o̶u̶r̶n̶a̶l̶.̶ ̶H̶o̶w̶e̶v̶e̶r̶,̶ ̶s̶a̶v̶e̶g̶a̶m̶e̶s̶ ̶c̶r̶e̶a̶t̶e̶d̶ ̶u̶s̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶F̶5̶ ̶c̶a̶n̶'̶t̶ ̶b̶e̶ ̶r̶e̶s̶t̶o̶r̶e̶d̶ ̶v̶i̶a̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶J̶o̶u̶r̶n̶a̶l̶.̶ ̶T̶h̶e̶y̶ ̶c̶a̶n̶ ̶o̶n̶l̶y̶ ̶b̶e̶ ̶r̶e̶s̶t̶o̶r̶e̶d̶ ̶b̶y̶ ̶u̶s̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶F̶7̶.̶
- ^This is also fixed in the new "daily build"
(4) Occasional corrupted savegame
- I only enountered this once, so unfortunately I don't know how to reproduce it. But I saved a game in the throne room while Mordea was sleeping in her bedroom. I grabbed the key from underneath the pillow to the left, unlocked the door, and then I saved my game. Then I walked into her bedroom to look around and accidentally woke her up. So I restored, but when I restored the game, even though I was outside her bedroom, the game treated me as being inside her bedroom and woke her up. This meant that every time I restored that savegame, I would immediately wake up Mordea and die. Unfortunately, this was my only savegame so I needed to start the game from the beginning.

If I see additional bugs I'll report them here!
Last edited by bliznik on Wed Jan 27, 2021 1:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
criezy
ScummVM Developer

Re: Ultima VIII bug reports

Post by criezy »

If you want the right people to see those, the best place to report bugs is https://bugs.scummvm.org/
The developers do not always watch this forum.
bliznik

Post by bliznik »

If you want the right people to see those, the best place to report bugs is https://bugs.scummvm.org/
The developers do not always watch this forum.
Ah, thx for that. I'll submit bug reports from now on. That's better for tracking.
Blakes7

Post by Blakes7 »

I'm not sure if this belongs in a bug report but when trying to attack zombies with a dagger I find it impossible to hit anything. For comparison I fired up dosbox and had no trouble. I seem to have to hold down the mouse button to attack for scummvm but in the dosbox version I double click and its fine. My avatar sometimes, upon releasing the mouse button per attacks, then does a funny little dance and sometimes clips through the zombie. Maybe I am doing it wrong but it seems broken to me.