Myst III Exile: Can't add, error when starting new game in ResidualVM

Ask for help with ScummVM problems

Moderator: ScummVM Team

ekaye

Myst III Exile: Can't add, error when starting new game in ResidualVM

Post by ekaye »

First, even when I arrange the datafiles as specified on the wiki, ScummVM 2.2.0 doesn't recognize them. ResidualVM does recognize the exact same folder and adds it to the launcher. I copied the relevant section from the ResidualVM .ini to ScummVM, and it shows up in the launcher, but then claims not to have a supported engine. I thought that ResidualVM had been absorbed into ScummVM.

When I try to launch it in ResidualVM, the title screen comes up, but when I try to start a new game, I get an error "Unable to open archive TOHOnodes.m3a". This file is present in the Data folder along with all the others, and my CDs look clean, so I don't think the file is corrupted. Does anyone know what's going on here?
criezy
ScummVM Developer

Re: Myst III Exile: Can't add, error when starting new game in ResidualVM

Post by criezy »

The merge between ScummVM an ResidualVM happened after the ScummVM 2.2.0 release. So it is normal for this version not to recognise Myst III.

As for the second part I don't know as I don't have that game. But maybe somebody else will have an idea.

You could try a ScummVM daily build, but it is unlikely to work better than ResidualVM.
ekaye

Post by ekaye »

criezy wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 8:50 pm The merge between ScummVM an ResidualVM happened after the ScummVM 2.2.0 release. So it is normal for this version not to recognise Myst III.

As for the second part I don't know as I don't have that game. But maybe somebody else will have an idea.

You could try a ScummVM daily build, but it is unlikely to work better than ResidualVM.
I created another data directory from scratch, and this time it worked for some reason. Thanks for clarifying about ScummVM, I'll keep using ResidualVM until it's incorporated into a stable build. Thank you for your help.
kas1e

Post by kas1e »

Have the same issue today on both Win10 and AmigaOS4 machines : once i run game, it runs fine, but when i press "new game" , it says "unable to open archive tohonodes.m3a", but file is here,
Praetorian
ScummVM Developer

Post by Praetorian »

kas1e wrote: Thu Dec 23, 2021 12:25 am Have the same issue today on both Win10 and AmigaOS4 machines : once i run game, it runs fine, but when i press "new game" , it says "unable to open archive tohonodes.m3a", but file is here,
Which version of ScummVM are you running?

I've tested with stable 2.5.0 and a development ScummVM build (2.6.0git, today's local build from master) on the GOG version of the game (detected a DVD/Windows/English) and it runs fine for me. Played quite a bit from the intro up to solving a few puzzles in J'nanin.

This is on Windows 10 Pro x64.

I don't think I've done anything special on the game's folder. I've just pointed ScummVM to where GOG installed the game and it detected and ran with no issues. The file you mention, is indeed in the game folder (inside the "data" subfolder as it should).

Here's our wiki entry for the game, which may help with setting up the game folder eg. if you have the original CD or DVD version:
https://wiki.scummvm.org/index.php?titl ... III:_Exile
kas1e

Post by kas1e »

@Praetoran
Which version of ScummVM are you running?
That was tested on 2.5.0 and yesterday's daily build
I've tested with stable 2.5.0 and a development ScummVM build (2.6.0git, today's local build from master) on the GOG version of the game (detected a DVD/Windows/English) and it runs fine for me. Played quite a bit from the intro up to solving a few puzzles in J'nanin.
It was some DVD version with Russian translation so maybe that version cause issues somehow. But when I got normal ISOs of all 4CDs, and install them all start to be fine, it start to works. But as I am on a PowerPC processor (big-endian) it brings me still some issues that didn't happen on x64 (at least tested only wn32 version which didn't have that issue) and reported it here: https://bugs.scummvm.org/ticket/13169
RonKorakas

Post by RonKorakas »

kas1e wrote: Thu Dec 23, 2021 12:25 am Have the same issue today on both Win10 and AmigaOS4 machines : once i run game, it runs fine, but when i press "new game" , it says "unable to open archive tohonodes.m3a", but file is here,
Hi. did you get it working?
I figured it out yesterday. I was trying to work from the 4 CD version, on the latest release of ScummVM. I got that error you mentioned, but it was because I "Added Game" directly from the game files, in the Program Files (x86) folder.
So, I moved the necessary files (the data and the M3 folder) to a new folder on my desktop. (this is after having Fully Installed the game, and updated with 1.22 patch).

Then, I "Added Game", but from from the new folder, on my desktop. And it works perfectly.
Here's the Bug report that I was directed to, and I followed the instructions at the bottom.

Ron.