Does/can ScummVM load a SoundFont for my soundcard's hardware synth?

Ask for help with ScummVM problems

Moderator: ScummVM Team

sndwv

Does/can ScummVM load a SoundFont for my soundcard's hardware synth?

Post by sndwv »

Let me first say that I do not know a lot about MIDI, synths and SoundFonts beyond the very basics needed for old DOS gaming and my trusty MT-32.

I have a question about how SoundFonts work in ScummVM. I have been successfully using 'SC-55-like' SoundFonts with FluidSynth (a software synth), but today I noticed the SoundFont tooltip text in ScummVM reads 'SoundFont is supported by some audio cards, FluidSynth and Timidity'. My sound card, an X-fi, has 2 hardware synths and perhaps is such a card. Can ScummVM load a SoundFont into the banks of these hardware synths, or does this need to happen outside of ScummVM?

As-is I do not seem to be able to get it working in ScummVM 'alone', but I am also not 100% sure what I am listening for, as I do not know if there would be a difference between how FluidSynth sounds and how my own soundcard would sound with the SC-55 SoundFont loaded. For all I know I have already loaded the SC-55 SoundFont and it just sounds a bit off from the original, OR an X-fi already sounds fairly close to one out-of-the box- I have no idea!

Any help or explanation of the basics would be appreciated!