FM Town Voices in Ultima VI

Ask for help with ScummVM problems

Moderator: ScummVM Team

oprion

FM Town Voices in Ultima VI

Post by oprion »

Prior to the merger of the two teams, NUVIE had support for the full voice acting that was done for Ultima VI on the FM Towns version of the game. Is it still supported? I tried adding the "...\u6_sounds" to the extra path in the game options, but nothing happened.
dreammaster
ScummVM Developer

Re: FM Town Voices in Ultima VI

Post by dreammaster »

oprion wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 11:55 pm Prior to the merger of the two teams, NUVIE had support for the full voice acting that was done for Ultima VI on the FM Towns version of the game. Is it still supported? I tried adding the "...\u6_sounds" to the extra path in the game options, but nothing happened.
I had a look at the code, and there were some issues with the configuration setting for the towns folder. I've now set it up to be the unix default of townsu6 within the game's folder by default. Though I don't have the FM-Towns version to directly test it myself, so you'll need to grab a nightly build and give it a try yourself
oprion

Post by oprion »

Downloaded the latest Nightly Build. Renamed the sound folder into "townsu6".
On attempting to speak to anyone, the game crashes with the following:

Assertion failed!
File: ../../src-master/src/common/base-str.cpp, Line 466
Expression: p < _size
dreammaster
ScummVM Developer

Post by dreammaster »

oprion wrote: Tue Nov 03, 2020 7:22 am File: ../../src-master/src/common/base-str.cpp, Line 466
Sounds like the nightly build you got predated my committed changes, since I also fixed that very problem. So wait a day, and try with the next daily build, and see how it goes.
oprion

Post by oprion »

It works! The speech is back.
It is so quiet, as to be almost inaudible. I've set both SFX and SPEECH volumes to maximum, with MUSIC set to cut-off during conversation, and even then it's at the threshold of perception. But it works!
dreammaster
ScummVM Developer

Post by dreammaster »

oprion wrote: Wed Nov 04, 2020 8:10 am It is so quiet, as to be almost inaudible.
I did a further commit last night that fixed the FM Towns sound decoder to be endian safe. Give the next daily build a try, and see if that fixes it for you.
Dwedit

Post by Dwedit »

I have a question. Are the Digital Sound Effects from the FM Towns version supported? They sound a lot better than the PC Speaker sound effects.
Also in the FM Towns version, when the hero uses magic, or monsters use special attacks, they would speak the spell words out loud. (like An Jux Ort)
dreammaster
ScummVM Developer

Post by dreammaster »

Dwedit wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 8:43 pm I have a question. Are the Digital Sound Effects from the FM Towns version supported? They sound a lot better than the PC Speaker sound effects.
Also in the FM Towns version, when the hero uses magic, or monsters use special attacks, they would speak the spell words out loud. (like An Jux Ort)
As far as I'm aware, Nuvie only ever supported importing the conversation voices from the FM Towns version, and not the entire game on it's own. So presumably that's why the stuff you mention from the FM-Towns version aren't shown.
OUTATIMEStudios

Post by OUTATIMEStudios »

I am happy to report that you can get digital sound effects if SOUNDS1.DAT is located in the ../townsu6 folder.
bliznik

Post by bliznik »

oprion wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 11:55 pm Prior to the merger of the two teams, NUVIE had support for the full voice acting that was done for Ultima VI on the FM Towns version of the game. Is it still supported? I tried adding the "...\u6_sounds" to the extra path in the game options, but nothing happened.
Where did you find the file for the FM Towns speech? I don't know how to do this in either ScummVM or Nuvie.
dreammaster
ScummVM Developer

Post by dreammaster »

bliznik wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 4:31 pm Where did you find the file for the FM Towns speech? I don't know how to do this in either ScummVM or Nuvie.
From memory, the speech data comes in the u6_sounds folder of the FM Towns version of the game. So as long as you have a legitimate FM Towns Ultima VI, you should be able to use it.
tomexplodes

Post by tomexplodes »

Okay, so I have U6 from GOG, from the FM Towns CD I copied the SPEECH folder with all the .SAM files and the sounds1 and sounds2.dat files into a folder inside the U6 folder called townsu6. When I boot the game, everything seems to be normal until I finish the first combat and turn off combat and try to talk to someone. I just get "funny, no response" from absolutely everyone. What have I done wrong?

To clarify, I wasn't sure which way it needed to go, so I put the entire SPEECH subfolder in there as well as copying the .SAM files out of it into the townsu6 folder, because I wasn't sure which way it needed to go.

EDIT: I verified it was definitely trying to use that that screwed it up, when I removed the folder, everything works normally.

EDIT AGAIN: I just copied the entire content of the CD to the townsu6 folder. That seems to have solved the issue.
oprion

Post by oprion »

Should look like this:

Code: Select all

\---townsu6
    |   ALLMUSIC
    |   CONVERSE.A
    |   CONVERSE.B
    |   CONVERSE.C
    |   CONVERSE.D
    |   SOUNDS1.DAT
    |   SOUNDS2.DAT
    |
    \---SPEECH
            CHAR0.SAM
            CHAR10.SAM
            CHAR100.SAM
            CHAR101.SAM
            <....>
ecto

Post by ecto »

Hi,
somehow I can't get this to work.
I'm using Win64 ScummVM 1.5.0 and as soon as I have the townsu6 folder inside the regular u6 folder, ScummVM crashes. There is no log to speak of. There is not even an entry for loading u6...

I tried the same on my Raspberry Pi 4. There at least was an error message:

Executing: bash /home/pi/RetroPie/roms/scummvm/+Start\ ScummVM_mod.sh "ultima6_enh"
Using game controller: X360 Controller
Virtual keyboard pack 'vkeybd_default' loaded successfully
User picked target 'ultima6_enh' (engine ID 'ultima', game ID 'ultima6_enh')...
   Looking for a plugin supporting this target... Ultima
corrupted size vs. prev_size while consolidating
/home/pi/RetroPie/roms/scummvm/+Start ScummVM_mod.sh: Zeile 4: 13805 Abgebrochen             /opt/retropie/emulators/scummvm/bin/scummvm --fullscreen --joystick=0 $game
Any ideas?
Praetorian
ScummVM Developer

Post by Praetorian »

ecto wrote: Mon Nov 15, 2021 9:54 am Hi,
somehow I can't get this to work.
I'm using Win64 ScummVM 1.5.0 and as soon as I have the townsu6 folder inside the regular u6 folder, ScummVM crashes. There is no log to speak of. There is not even an entry for loading u6...

I tried the same on my Raspberry Pi 4. There at least was an error message:

Executing: bash /home/pi/RetroPie/roms/scummvm/+Start\ ScummVM_mod.sh "ultima6_enh"
Virtual keyboard pack 'vkeybd_default' loaded successfully
User picked target 'ultima6_enh' (engine ID 'ultima', game ID 'ultima6_enh')...
   Looking for a plugin supporting this target... Ultima
corrupted size vs. prev_size while consolidating
/home/pi/RetroPie/roms/scummvm/+Start ScummVM_mod.sh: Zeile 4: 13805 Abgebrochen             /opt/retropie/emulators/scummvm/bin/scummvm --fullscreen --joystick=0 $game
Any ideas?
Could you try with one of the daily builds for ScummVM ("ScummVM latest Branch master" column) https://buildbot.scummvm.org/#/dailybuilds

I'm seeing a strange behavior, whereby the debug builds launch the game but the release builds exit without a message right after loading SOUNDS1.DAT or segfault at the start of the game. The daily builds are debug builds so they should work ok.

I cannot say what is causing this though, yet.