SCUMMVM Compress Tools Not Working

Ask for help with ScummVM problems

Moderator: ScummVM Team

simplesimon

SCUMMVM Compress Tools Not Working

Post by simplesimon »

I'm having trouble with the following tools not recognizing files listed as being compressable in the README file:
compress_queen
compress_touche
compress_sci

Tried compressing Flight Of The Amazon Queen but it's claimed to be an invalid input file. I know that can't be true because it's the untouched copy released by SCUMMVM in the games download page.

Won't recognize any of my Sierra games audio files as valid inputs.

Touch is multiple files that are combined into one but the Tools GUI only allows one input file for compress_touche so that may be the issue there.

I've tried both the GUI & commandline with no luck. Also tried both the lastest stable version & the latest nightly with the same results.

Can anyone else verify these as working?
criezy
ScummVM Developer

Re: SCUMMVM Compress Tools Not Working

Post by criezy »

I just tried the tool to compress the Flight of the Amazon Queen data file, and it worked properly for me.
Note however that for this tool you need to have in the same directory both the original uncompressed queen.1 file and the queen.tbl file that is distributed with ScummVM (and is also available in the ScummVM Github repository).
simplesimon

Post by simplesimon »

Ahh. That's what it was. I didn't see anywhere that the queen.tbl was necessary. It worked for me too after adding that. Thanks. I still can't figure out how to make the other two work though.
criezy
ScummVM Developer

Post by criezy »

As far as I can see, the tool to compress the data file for Touche expect the directory that contains the TOUCHE.DAT file as input (and not one of the files). The file chooser in the GUI tool only allows selecting files though, so you probably need to select one of the file (e.g. TOUCHE.DAT), and then remove the file name and only keep the path to the directory in the text field after you have selected the file.

For the SCI games compression, it expect a resource.* file (e.g. resource.aud or resource.sfx). However the tool is not compatible will the more recent SCI games.
simplesimon

Post by simplesimon »

Yeah, it clearly shows "inputdir" in the usage for compress_touche but the gui is setup to choose a file. I think it has to be a mistake in the gui implementation for that tool. I tried to manually type in the directory (essentially what you suggested) but it wouldn't accept that.

And for compress_sci, I saw that it didn't work for SCI32 games but I was trying to use it on the resource.aud files for King's Quest 5 and Island Of Dr. Brain. Neither are SCI32. When choosing resource.aud as the input file the gui auto-selects compress_kyra as the tool to use, which obviously fails. But then manually selecting to use compress_sci fails also, complaining about an "unexpected input file".
simplesimon

Post by simplesimon »

Also just found a flaw with Broken Sword 1 where file 6m13.wav gets skipped and left unconverted by compress_broken1.
criezy
ScummVM Developer

Post by criezy »

simplesimon wrote: Sun Oct 25, 2020 2:24 am Yeah, it clearly shows "inputdir" in the usage for compress_touche but the gui is setup to choose a file. I think it has to be a mistake in the gui implementation for that tool. I tried to manually type in the directory (essentially what you suggested) but it wouldn't accept that.
I think this is a limitation in the graphical toolkit we use. But we could probably work around that by also supporting a file as input for that tool.

That being said, I tried the GUI tools just now, and it worked for me. I was able to select the TOUCHE.DAT FILE with the file chooser, and then once selected erase the file name from the text field before clicking next. And that successfully compressed the filles for me.

And otherwise it should at least work with the CLI.
criezy
ScummVM Developer

Post by criezy »

I just checked the Broken Sword engine, and the 6m13 file is not actually used by the game. I will add it to the compression tool to compress it if it is present. But that will not have any impact on playing the game.
criezy
ScummVM Developer

Post by criezy »

I have now made improvement to the tools for the next release. Selecting a file in the GUI tool will now work properly for the compress_touche tool (as well as other tools that expect a directory as input).
simplesimon

Post by simplesimon »

Thanks for working on this!

I'm not sure why the gui is working differently for you with compress_touche. I'm on Windows 7, using the latest daily build and if I choose compress_touche in the gui and try to load a file from my Touche directory it doesn't even list any files to select. So I'm unable to even try your suggestion. The best I can do is type the directory in manually, but that still just gives me an error when I try to encode.

And did you get a chance to look at the compress_sci problem? I can choose resource.aud in the gui but it tries to use compress_kyra by default. If I choose compress_sci manually at the start it behaves like it should when selecting files as far as limiting the selection to resource files but when trying to encode it gives an error of "unexpected input". And it won't even let me choose a AUDIO001.002 file, which should be a valid choice according to the documentation. Looks like resource.aud files are working fine if I try to encode in the commandline (so it must be another gui bug with those), but AUDIO001.002 isn't even recognized there either.
Red_Breast

Post by Red_Breast »

First post for about 9 years I think. A symptom of the covid lockdown!

See if this helps with Touche. This is with the GUI for a Tools build dated 14 September. On the Downloads page, the first download under 2.2.0 Tools. (scummvm-tools-2.2.0-win32.zip)

At the first selection screen I choose Advanced and select compress_touche manually.

Select Next and you're at the screen in the image. DON'T select browse, just enter the location of your touche folder.

For me this is - C:\Games\scummvmdata\games\touche - that's what I entered.

I selected PC for the version I wanted, I did not try the others.

I first selected flac for the codec but the Tools GUI crashed straight away.

Ogg vorbis worked and mp3, but you need to supply lame.exe. I tried this and had a similar situation where I had to fill in the location of the lame.exe I used.

If this lockdown continues, I might even get to compress_sci!
rootfather
ScummVM Lead

Post by rootfather »

In order to use criezy's fixes, you could try using the latest nightly version from https://www.scummvm.org/downloads/#daily :-) (I just fixed them, the scummvm-tools nightlies were sadly broken for a few days due to an error on my end)
simplesimon

Post by simplesimon »

Using updated nightly worked.

Only issue was it complained about no /AUDIO folder, which my copy didn't have. But after copying everything to the harddrive and then putting all files into a single folder it worked.

Awesome! Thanks for the update