Loom Audio

Ask for help with ScummVM problems

Moderator: ScummVM Team

clem

Post by clem »

Hazekel wrote:Well, it was an upgrade from my floppies.
upgrade or not, the audio is copyrighted which makes downloading it illegal as long as there is no permission to do so
Hazekel

Post by Hazekel »

Well, I own Loom legally. If you are saying that there are illegal upgrades then perhaps you could direct me to the legal upgrade which is supported by SCUMMVM. Lucasarts does not sell it as I checked.

In any case, I removed the four minutes of silence and the first pieces of dialogue work okay, but then it goes totally out of whack again (not by a few seconds but completely).
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

Hazekel wrote:Well, I own Loom legally. If you are saying that there are illegal upgrades then perhaps you could direct me to the legal upgrade which is supported by SCUMMVM. Lucasarts does not sell it as I checked.
As far as I know, there is no such thing. Just like there isn't a free upgrade from the old Swedish translation of The Lord of the Rings to the new one.
Hazekel

Post by Hazekel »

Well, anyway. I got it working. For people with similar problems in the future ...

Ignore the CD. Just run the "assemble" program again which came in the upgrade package. Then move the audio.mp3 to the same folder as DATA and rename it track1.mp3. Works great.

... and yes, the "free upgrade" is usually called a "patch." Not being sarcastic here. I appreciate our wanting to respect copyright law (as I am an author, I want my copyright respected as well), but lawyers so pervert everything that some people run scared of anything. The patch, or upgrade, is legal. Lucasarts has not objected to the patch, which I believe they offered at one time.
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

Hazekel wrote: The patch, or upgrade, is legal. Lucasarts has not objected to the patch, which I believe they offered at one time.
I've never heard of LucasArts offering such an upgrade. They do offer an upgrade for Loom, but that's just to add Roland MT-32 music to it. For all I know, they're not even aware of any upgrade from the floppy version to the CD version.

They are aware of the ScummVM project, however, and have made vaguely threatening noises towards it a few times in the past. It seems that every now and then, their legal department wakes up and goes "SCUMM? What the heck is... Oh, right, we own that!" before going back to Star Wars dream land.

Mind you, I have only heard of this indirectly so I may be misrepresenting things. But I imagine we don't want to give them any reason to wake up again.
Hazekel

Post by Hazekel »

Point taken. Lawyers are evil, so I don't blame you.

eriktorbjorn wrote:
Hazekel wrote: The patch, or upgrade, is legal. Lucasarts has not objected to the patch, which I believe they offered at one time.
I've never heard of LucasArts offering such an upgrade. They do offer an upgrade for Loom, but that's just to add Roland MT-32 music to it. For all I know, they're not even aware of any upgrade from the floppy version to the CD version.

They are aware of the ScummVM project, however, and have made vaguely threatening noises towards it a few times in the past. It seems that every now and then, their legal department wakes up and goes "SCUMM? What the heck is... Oh, right, we own that!" before going back to Star Wars dream land.

Mind you, I have only heard of this indirectly so I may be misrepresenting things. But I imagine we don't want to give them any reason to wake up again.