Ultima VI crazy mouse

Ask for help with ScummVM problems

Moderator: ScummVM Team

tonyrh

Ultima VI crazy mouse

Post by tonyrh »

Playing on Ubuntu 20.04, Scummvm 2.3.0git620-gbf6708eb7e (just compiled) Ultima VI has a strange problem with the mouse acting erratically and lagging behind making it impossible to play.
Basically, the problem described here: https://github.com/scummvm/scummvm/pull ... -630930489
As the engine author suggested in that thread, I'm posting here hoping for a solution.
Thanks!
dreammaster
ScummVM Developer

Re: Ultima VI crazy mouse

Post by dreammaster »

tonyrh wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 9:50 pm Playing on Ubuntu 20.04, Scummvm 2.3.0git620-gbf6708eb7e (just compiled) Ultima VI has a strange problem with the mouse acting erratically and lagging behind making it impossible to play.
Basically, the problem described here: https://github.com/scummvm/scummvm/pull ... -630930489
As the engine author suggested in that thread, I'm posting here hoping for a solution.
Thanks!
Is it just the main menu, or ingame as well. The main menu is run via a scripting language called Lua that runs scripts at runtime, whereas the rest of the game is (mainly) native C++ code that's been compiled. I already tried to improve responsiveness of the main menu prior to the release, but if it's still significantly lagging on Ubuntu, we may need to look into converting the intro code to plain C++ in the future. In any case, in the interim, if it is just the main menu, as long as you can make it through the character creation and save your game once you get in-game, then for future sessions you can load your savegame directly from the launcher and bypass the menu entirely.
tonyrh

Post by tonyrh »

Thanks for replying and for your work on ScummVM of course, you and the other devs are my heroes!
I spent a bit of time in the menu trying to hit "Journey Onward" but no luck, the mouse is drunk :)
But the menu music is awesome! :P
dreammaster
ScummVM Developer

Post by dreammaster »

tonyrh wrote: Fri Oct 02, 2020 9:08 pm Thanks for replying and for your work on ScummVM of course, you and the other devs are my heroes!
I spent a bit of time in the menu trying to hit "Journey Onward" but no luck, the mouse is drunk :)
But the menu music is awesome! :P
Apologies if this is something you've already tried from the thread, but I too had real troubles on an Ubuntu VM trying to run ScummVM under Valgrind; turned out it was due to the joystick driver falsely giving movement. I was able to disable it by adding --joystick=-1 ultima6_enh as command line parameters.
hydrian

Post by hydrian »

I tried the --joystick=-1 switch and it made no difference for me. I've tried it with the ultima6 and ultima6_enh versions and both have the same problem.

I'm using the GOG version of Ultima 6 and the 9f97501 version of the master branch.
dreammaster
ScummVM Developer

Post by dreammaster »

hydrian wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 4:55 pm I tried the --joystick=-1 switch and it made no difference for me. I've tried it with the ultima6 and ultima6_enh versions and both have the same problem.

I'm using the GOG version of Ultima 6 and the 9f97501 version of the master branch.
If it was still happening when you specified it on the command along with the game (so it started immediately rather than going to the ScummVM launcher), then I'm afraid I don't know what else to suggest, sorry.
bstar

Post by bstar »

Not to dredge up this old thread, but I can confirm that this is still an issue in linux (I use Manjaro, Arch based). It does, indeed, seem to only affect the menu screen, so it's possible that it has something to do with the Lua code. I am able to navigate the options fine with my keyboard and the rest of the game plays fine, mouse or not.

I would say this is a pretty severe issue because, to a new user the game likely seems completely broken. I had given up on playing the game until I read this thread and ultimately tried using just the keyboard in that one menu.