Games, particularly Monkey Island

Ask for help with ScummVM problems

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Silverchablis

Games, particularly Monkey Island

Post by Silverchablis »

I’m really sorry if this is a stupid question; it might be I’m just not good enough at this sort of thing to be able to do it...!

I bought the first MI from Steam without realising it wouldn’t work on a Mac. I’ve now downloaded Scumm but have no idea how to get the game on it. I’ve looked at the original thread on it but the links in that don’t seem to work any more, and I can’t even download the game to my computer as it won’t work on the OS... can anyone help please?

Thank you
Praetorian
ScummVM Developer

Re: Games, particularly Monkey Island

Post by Praetorian »

Silverchablis wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 12:35 pm I’m really sorry if this is a stupid question; it might be I’m just not good enough at this sort of thing to be able to do it...!

I bought the first MI from Steam without realising it wouldn’t work on a Mac. I’ve now downloaded Scumm but have no idea how to get the game on it. I’ve looked at the original thread on it but the links in that don’t seem to work any more, and I can’t even download the game to my computer as it won’t work on the OS... can anyone help please?

Thank you
As far as I know, ScummVM only supports the classic versions of Monkey Island 1 and 2, ie. not the Special Editions on Steam.

If you have access to a Windows PC, you can install your MI Special Edition and then extract the classic version files using a third party app like Monkey Island Explorer:
https://quickandeasysoftware.net/softwa ... d-explorer

You can then use ScummVM and its "Add Game", pointing it to the location you extracted the classic data files. (The classic data files, are under the "classic" folder in the game's resources that you can browse and extract from with "Monkey Island Explorer").

I realize that, if you had a Windows PC of your own, you'd be able to directly play the game, no ScummVM needed. But, the above process is quick and easy, so eg. a friend's or a relative's PC with Windows could help you out to get the extracted files.
Graxer

Re: Games, particularly Monkey Island

Post by Graxer »

Also, if you get access to a Windows PC be aware that doing the stuff above will only give you the DOS version of Monkey Island (no CD music and no voices which weren't added until the special edition).

However, you can get the classsic DOS version with added CD music (with a choice between the remaster and classic CD version soundtracks) and voices (extracted from the remaster) for playing in ScummVM by using a special automated process to make the "Ultimate Talkie" version. This will require you to use a Windows PC with the remaster installed though. There is a whole topic about it here:

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=9161

Personally I think its the best way to play the game, even better than the remaster.