Can things in the Debugger be saved to a file?

Ask for help with ScummVM problems

Moderator: ScummVM Team

mink

Can things in the Debugger be saved to a file?

Post by mink »

I have a question about the "Debugger" console I can access in SCUMM games such as Maniac Mansion.

Is there a way to have the console save the text which appear on it to a file? If I enable all of the debugflags, I notice that selecting "objects" sends the name of the room to STDERR. That's the only thing I recognise in the game's output, though.

Alternatively, is there another way to obtain the names & numbers of the objects in a room (or the game) as text?

I'm asking because I've had a look at some of the files created by descumm, and I think they would be easier to interpret if I could just look up what (say) object 53 is called in a list.

Thanks.
criezy
ScummVM Developer

Re: Can things in the Debugger be saved to a file?

Post by criezy »

mink wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 8:16 pm I have a question about the "Debugger" console I can access in SCUMM games such as Maniac Mansion.
Small correction: it is available in all games and not just SCUMM games. :)
mink wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 8:16 pm Is there a way to have the console save the text which appear on it to a file?
There are two modes for the debug console: a built-in console (the default) or an external text console.

In you are using the built-in console, the output should automatically be added to the log file. See https://docs.scummvm.org/en/v2.5.1/help ... m-log-file for the location of the default log file. You can also start ScummVM with -l <logfile> to use a custom log file (which can be useful since otherwise the log file is overwritten every time you start ScummVM).
Edit: you can also open the log file using the openlog command in the debugger.

To use the external text console, you need to compile ScummVM yourself as it requires using the --enable-text-console option when using configure before compiling ScummVM. With that option, instead of using an internal debug console the terminal/console from which you started ScummVM will be used. And those typically support copying text.