Outside help with with SCUMMVM? How to start?

Ask for help with ScummVM problems

Moderator: ScummVM Team

GusCE6

Outside help with with SCUMMVM? How to start?

Post by GusCE6 »

Hello.

Recently, a version of SCUMMVM was able to handle a game called "Foxtail" by Gingertips, Chapter 2.

Sadly, it cannot handle the recent Chapter 3. This was sort of expected, since changes to the Wintermute Engine were announced.

I would like to help with patches and updates, but have absolutely NO idea where to begin. None.

I need help getting started. What apps are used for this? What programs? Are there instructions for this, e.g. a PDF file?

I have had programming experience, and catch on pretty quickly once past that first hurdle. When programming webpages I went from just figuring out how to put an image onscreen with HTML to programming first-person maze and Mahjong games with Javascript in about a year. With no formal instruction. But apps, like SCUMMVM...well, no way can I get started without help.

In the future, if it's legal, maybe I'll try to get GameMaker Studio games- like "Undertale"- running too.

Thanks in advance, and keep up the great work. People stuck with older computers appreciate it very much. :)

Oh- here's the error log:

The game in 'foxtail\' seems to be an unknown game variant.

Please report the following data to the ScummVM team at https://bugs.scummvm.org/ along with the name of the game you tried to add and its version, language, etc.:

Matched game IDs for the wintermute engine: foxtail-win-fallback

{"data.dcp", 0, "ca9842a6461cc7b00e63b5bc11813971", 154006242},

Last edited by GusCE6 on Sat May 09, 2020 8:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
criezy
ScummVM Developer

Re: Outside help with with SCUMMVM? How to start?

Post by criezy »

There are some instructions for developer on our wiki: https://wiki.scummvm.org/index.php?titl ... er_Central
GusCE6 wrote: Sat May 09, 2020 8:20 pm I need help getting started. What apps are used for this? What programs?
An app used for what? Working on the ScummVM source code? Each developer will have his own preference, and that also depends on the OS on which you are doing the work. You could use any text editor but many developer prefer using an Integrated Development Environment such as Visual Studio, Xcode, QtCreator, Eclipse, CLion (and I am probably forgetting a few here) in which they can not only edit the source code but also compile and debug it. So it's difficult to recommend one. But feel free to come on our Discord server or IRC channel and ask questions there.
GusCE6

Post by GusCE6 »

But what to do then? How does SCUMMVM actually play anything? Even if I use something like a Hex Editor (and I've done that) I don't know what I'm looking at, it's gibberish to me. If you know how to do this, where did you find the instructions?

I'd typically try with the Windows version, as well as the Windows CE version. Getting "Foxtail" running on a crummy Sylvania CE netbook from 2006 would be a hoot.

I'll try to get started with your links, but...we shall see. Thanks for the tips though, it's a start.
ZvikaZ

Post by ZvikaZ »

GusCE6 wrote: Sat May 09, 2020 8:53 pm But what to do then? How does SCUMMVM actually play anything? Even if I use something like a Hex Editor (and I've done that) I don't know what I'm looking at, it's gibberish to me. If you know how to do this, where did you find the instructions?

I'd typically try with the Windows version, as well as the Windows CE version. Getting "Foxtail" running on a crummy Sylvania CE netbook from 2006 would be a hoot.

I'll try to get started with your links, but...we shall see. Thanks for the tips though, it's a start.
My personal recommendation:

Don't be afraid because you don't have formal training. It's not really important, if you have got the potential, and want to learn.

Start small.

Before getting into ScummVM code:
Learn cpp. Learn to use an IDE.
Visual Studio will be easier, in my opinion..
Write a small, stupid program.
My first program printed my name. It's a great satisfaction to see the computer doing as told...
(But please write something bigger than my example ;-) )
Learn to debug, use breakpoint, watch variables, etc.

Then come back to ScummVM, read the links @criezy wrote.
Read them again.
And again.

Now choose the smallest problem you can think of in one of your favorite games. Maybe from the bug tracker, maybe from your own personal experience.
Use all your debugging skills to understand why is the problem occuring, and try to fix it.
Stuck? Read again the links...
Google is your friend.
Don't forget to request assistance here, and in Discord.
Now share the fix by submitting a Pull Request to GitHub.

Great! Continue with your quest...

BTW, hang in the discord server. You won't understand everything in the beginning, but try to follow discussions.
Gradually, you'll see that you get what's going on.

Good luck and enjoy!
GusCE6

Post by GusCE6 »

Well, I downloaded Microsoft Visual Code, fired it up...and as usual there's a %$#@*&! problem.

All I get is a black screen. Nothing on it, unlike the intro video at Microsoft.

All right- can anyone here link me to a good tool for working on SCUMMVM? If it's non-Microsoft, it would probably be better.

Oh- and the programmer who got "Foxtail" running before has done it again. Hey, Microsoft- why don't you learn something from him? You know, getting things to actually work?

Thanks to everyone here.
Raziel
ScummVM Porter

Post by Raziel »

@GusCE

Possible answers from MicroSoft customer service:

- Works for me
- Get the latest updates
- Windows is now available for your favourite hardware, get it here
- Your device is too old
- Install the latest drivers
and, my favourite, after a long page of solutions that have absolutely nothing to do with the problem
- Was this review helpful?

Bwahahaha

Good luck with your endeavour, i hope someone can point you to a good development environment.
GusCE6

Post by GusCE6 »

Raziel;

You know. You REALLY know how that works.

Anyway, I solved the problem. Part of it was- get this- running the program in VISTA mode. That's right, not 7, not native 8, but...Vista.

So now I downloaded and installed the "C++" extensions, along with Python.

NOTE: Please understand everyone that I do not have the Internet where I live, and sometimes it can be a few weeks before I'm able to log on again. Therefore there may be a "lag time" between something asked and getting the answer. If I have difficulty with something I have to ask right away because I do not have much time while online to first try and solve it myself; by the time I can ask days or even weeks may have gone by, and it may be days or even weeks before I get an answer- because I'm not around.

O.K, now to check the next step, sources and compiling. Oh, yes- and getting a manual about C++.

UPDATE: Believe it or not, I'm somewhere. That Visual Studio app now does open examples of C++ code. I just tried a sample. Now all I have to do is figure out how to get the "building blocks" of the actual SCUMMVM app, so I can tinker around a bit. That's how I learn these things.

Again, thanks to you all :)

Wonder if "Foxtail" can run on that crummy netbook, or if it's too demanding...
GusCE6

Post by GusCE6 »

Well, no matter what I try with Visual Studio there is ALWAYS a $#*&@!! PROBLEM!!!!

I get two "problem" messages, about PATHS, iostream not being found, etc. Nothing I've looked up or tried has helped in the least. Trying the "code build" part is a problem because I have Windows 8.

All right- to blazes with Microsoft. Can somebody give me a detailed walk-through with Eclipse or another free compiler? The only one I've gotten that works is Turbo C++...which goes into DOS mode! Oh, yes, and MingW...but the EXE program only appears for an instant, or just a CMD window. Too fast to be sure.

With Eclipse, even after the Java install, the logo flashes for a split-second- then nothing.

I've already had one stroke last year. I don't need another. Can anyone here just help me get something that works?
Praetorian
ScummVM Developer

Post by Praetorian »

GusCE6 wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 12:01 am Can anyone here just help me get something that works?
My alternative toolchain on Windows (other than Visual Studio which I don't use that often) is set with Mingw-w64 as described here:

https://wiki.scummvm.org/index.php/Comp ... /MinGW-w64

This is on Windows 10 x64, using the x86_64 64 bit libraries.

Note that, when building with such toolchains, the quickest way to then launch the ScummVM executable that you built is via the same console environment that has the toolchain set. This way you won't get errors about missing libraries (dlls).

If you launch the executable via the Windows you'll probably have issues with missing dlls that you'll then have find debug or release versions of those and copy them in the same folder as scummvm.exe. (The wiki information on the required ones may be outdated).

Also, if launching this way and there are crash-to-desktop errors in your build you may miss the messages on the ScummVM background text console which would close quickly. However, you could look for your ScummVM log file for those.
https://www.scummvm.org/faq/#5_6

For an IDE I was mostly using CodeBlocks. It is not the best free IDE for the job, but it would suffice. However, this takes a while to setup with Mingw-w64 toolchain and ScummVM's create_project tool (the output from which probably needs extra configuration and corrections for the include and library paths).
GusCE6

Post by GusCE6 »

Update (lag time again...):

I have a program installed called "MinGW." With it I can compile C++ files into EXE files, and they do run.

Another installed program, "TurboC++," works nicely but only within itself. If one can use those files for anything else, including DOSBox 0.74, I haven't figured it out yet; if those dates mean anything that's a bit unlikely.

Eclipse now runs, and after reinstalling MinGW- the default installation was not in the "C:" folder which is where it should have been installed- I managed to clear up some troubles. I'm not 100% sure how I did the other part.

Now when you try that sample "Hello World" program it runs: the ".CPP" file appears in a sort of Notepad program; the EXE program produced will not work unless two DLL files- "libgcc_s_dw2-1.dll" and "libstdc++-6.dll"- are added to its folder, but once they are when you run it through Eclipse you get that "Hello World" in the little command window at the bottom of the screen.

Running the EXE program directly with the MinGW command window works nicely, and those two .DLL files need not be in the same place.

I've modified that program to do some basic math and to put a rectangle made of "*" on the screen, but the RAND() does not work, and trying to include "stdlib" does nothing. Either a needed file is missing or Eclipse handles it differently than in the O'Reilly manual.

All right, then- I'm this far. Apparently Eclipse is going to be the app I use here. It's "Version: Helios Service Release 2 Build id: 20110218-0911;" an older version but hopefully it's good enough. I don't want to jinx anything now that I actually managed to get this far; at least looking back over the replies I have some idea what the technical terms mean. C++ has things in common with Ruby and Javascript.

Note that Visual Studio fails to do anything with anything. The "<iostream>" error is still there. Maybe I should just uninstall it, I sure don't want to deal with Microsoft customer service if I can avoid it.

Again, thanks to you all here.

Hopefully Eclipse can be used to work on SCUMMVM. This is the code used for my initial program:

//============================================================================
// Name : helloworld.cpp
// Author : GusCE6
// Version :
// Copyright : Your copyright notice
// Description : Hello World in C++, Ansi-style
//============================================================================

#include <iostream>
using namespace std;

int a = 5;
int b = 2;
int c = 10;
int g;

int main() {

cout << "!!!Hello World! At last this works, yae!" << endl; // prints !!!Hello World!!!
cout << " This is an actual C++ program- really! :)" << endl; //More stuff...
cout << " " << c << "-" << "(" << a << "+" << b << ") does equal:" << endl;
cout << " " << c-(a + b) << endl;
cout << " ***************************" << endl;
cout << " * *" << endl;
cout << " * *" << endl;
cout << " ***************************" << endl;
return 0;
}

Curiously enough trying the RAND() command does not work, because that INCLUDE-STDLIB part from the O'Reilly manual is not recognized.

Update: I just found out how to get random numbers generated. But it's like a scavenger hunt!