Installing Phantasmagoria

Ask for help with ScummVM problems

Moderator: ScummVM Team

KellyLori

Installing Phantasmagoria

Post by KellyLori »

I've just bought the original Phantasmagoria game (which of course is on 7 discs) and was wondering is there any way I can play/install all the discs on Scummvm without merging them into 1?
Raziel
ScummVM Porter

Re: Installing Phantasmagoria

Post by Raziel »

See here
All SCI32 (SCI2/3) games
Copy all files from each disk or CD to the game directory. Some games need additional work:

Games with multiple CDs
Directories that exist on multiple discs (e.g. ROBOT and VMD directories) must be merged together, not replaced.
Rename the RESOURCE.SFX from each CD to RESSFX.00<cdnumber>, and the RESOURCE.AUD from each CD to RESAUD.00<cdnumber>, to match the corresponding RESSCI.00<cdnumber> file that exists on each CD.
It should be safe to replace any other files from later CDs that were copied already from earlier CDs, except in Phantasmagoria 1 (see below).

Phantasmagoria 1 from CDs
Copy the PDOCO.TXT from the first CD only.
appoloin

Post by appoloin »

If you are on Linux there is an easy way. Lutris has an install script for the 7CD version, click on the unpublished installers (you will need an account to see) and click install.

https://lutris.net/games/phantasmagoria/
eescalante

Post by eescalante »

Hey all.
Longtime user...first time poster here.

I've tried installing/merging as outlined above.
Chapter 1 and Chapter 2 work great.
However, the Chapter 3 intro movie doesn't play and the screen goes black. I can see the cursor but nothing else.
I"ve tried starting on the subsequent Chapters (4,5,6,7) and those all SEEM to work fine (they have the intro movie and after the movie I get taken to the game).

Any suggestions on what files I need to fix?
I'd hate to have to go through the merging process once again.

Thanks!
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

eescalante wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 6:27 pm Any suggestions on what files I need to fix?
I'd hate to have to go through the merging process once again.
I don't know if it helps, but at least in the version I have the chapter 3 intro is 3070.vmd and 3071.vmd from the third CD. If those files are there, and it still doesn't work, I have no idea.
eescalante

Post by eescalante »

Well, I don't know how I messed it up - but those files were missing from my directory. I've copied them now and it seems to be working.
Thanks so much!