Problem with Kings Quest VI sounds

Ask for help with ScummVM problems

Moderator: ScummVM Team

envisaged0ne

Problem with Kings Quest VI sounds

Post by envisaged0ne »

I'm playing the KQ6 CD\WIN version. I set the audio to use the Microsoft GS Wavetable Synth [Windows MIDI]. When I choose the option, some sounds don't play properly. For instance, when you open the box on the beach, it sounds like a horn blowing rather than the proper "click" sound. You can also clearly notice incorrect sounds on the Isle Of Wonder. If I choose the MT-32 Synth Emulator, then the sounds are correct, but some sounds are missing. Like the sounds of the waves when you're on the beach at the beginning of the game. When I play the game through DOSBOX (running the windows version through Windows 3.1), I set the MIDI Mapper to General Midi and all the sounds are present & play correctly. I didn't know if I should report this as a bug
SnowB88

Re: Problem with Kings Quest VI sounds

Post by SnowB88 »

I've noticed a similar issue with King's Quest 7, which also uses MIDI. Most of the music is fine, but occasionally incorrect sounds will play. Perhaps it's a Microsoft GS Wavetable Synth error?
ZvikaZ

Post by ZvikaZ »

Hi.
If the music plays differently in ScummVM and in Dosbox, with the same audio device, indeed, please report a bug.

However, there were some audio fixes in Sierra games recently, so please check first with a nightly build. Maybe it's already been fixed.
Collector

Post by Collector »

Sounds like it is trying to play the MT-32 track without Munt.
envisaged0ne

Post by envisaged0ne »

Nope - I have MUNT installed & it works just fine. If I use the MT-32 emulation, then some sounds are missing from the Windows version. I'm a pretty advanced computer user. I own a real MT-32 but didn't set it up on my current computer. So, no disrespect, but I wouldn't make a stupid mistake like that
ZvikaZ

Post by ZvikaZ »

Well, I'm confused. Are you talking about MT32 or GM problem? KQ6 should be played with GM for best sound results.

I don't hear any problem there. But I'm using an updated build, and there have been few audio fixes recently. Please try a nightly build, maybe it fixes that problem.
Anyway, if you've compared with Dosbox, with the same audio device, and hear a problem, please report a bug. Give exact details and upload scummvm.ini
envisaged0ne

Post by envisaged0ne »

1st, I just wanted to note that I meant no disrespect to Collector's response to me. He was trying to help and I greatly appreciate it. I have a lot of respect for Collector :D

I tried running it with GS & that's where some of the sounds aren't correct. Specifically, when you 1st start the game, and you open the box to retrieve the coin. The sound of opening the box sounds like a horn blowing. Also, on the Isle of Wonder, when you're at the screen where you grab the baby's milk, there are weird sound issues there. There are probably more, but I haven't played all the way through. I tried changing it to the MT-32 emulator, just to see if it was any better, and it had missing sounds. I just updated to the latest nightly build, and it still has the same sound issues
ZvikaZ

Post by ZvikaZ »

Please, let's focus on GM debugging, and forget about MT32 for the moment.

Have you verified that with Dosbox, and GM, it sounds different?
Then try again, with ScummVM and GM, and upload, or paste here, your 'scummvm.ini' file.
envisaged0ne

Post by envisaged0ne »

Okay, I sent you a private message with the contents of the INI file. I have ran the windows version through DosBox. It's setup to run through Windows 3.1 with General Midi. All sounds are there and they all play correctly
ZvikaZ

Post by ZvikaZ »

OK, thanks.
And what's your ScummVM version?
envisaged0ne

Post by envisaged0ne »

ScummVM version is 2.2.0git3404
ZvikaZ

Post by ZvikaZ »

It's very strange, as I can't replicate your problem...

I've created a MIDI file, with the dump of the MIDI commands sent when I run it.
Please download https://filebin.net/7powrhxu91b3fg2a/zv ... t=6bvq1goj and let's see if it resembles what you hear on Dosbox, or what you hear in ScummVM.

Also, please run:
> scummvm --version
and paste the output

and
> scummvm --dump-midi
recreate the problem, quit, listen to the created 'dump.mid' file, tell me how does it sound like, and upload the 'dump.mid' file to a service like https://filebin.net/ and paste the link.
ZvikaZ

Post by ZvikaZ »

The previous post was regarding the beginning of the game, the box opening sound.
Let's focus on that.
envisaged0ne

Post by envisaged0ne »

Okay. It's official. I'm an idiot! lol I downloaded your MIDI file & all the sounds were exactly as they should have been. So I think "it's got to be something I'm doing wrong on my end". So I went back and looked at all my sound settings. Then I remembered that I set the default options in ScummVM to use "True Roland MT-32 (Disable GM Emulation)". In KQ6, it had the "Use Default Options" checked under the MT-32 Tab. All I had to do was un-check it. Ack!!!

Anyway, thank you SO MUCH for all your help. Now I don't feel like I'm going crazy. I can't believe I overlooked that!
ZvikaZ

Post by ZvikaZ »

Good to hear that it's OK.
Well, @Collector was right after all :D

We all make mistakes. The question is whether we fix them.
That's why we so love bug reports...

So, please continue to report bugs that you see (after verifying yourself ;-) )