no onscreen console

Ask for help with ScummVM problems

Moderator: ScummVM Team

slx

no onscreen console

Post by slx »

I have to press Ctrl+d to bring up the onscreen console (debugger) to type in for example the 'room' command in the older ScummVM verisons.
In the Windows versions of the ScummVM 2.1.0 and v2.1.1 (x64) versions the ScummVM switch to the 'ScummVM Status Windows'
and It says 'Debugger entered, please switch to this console for input'
and I have to type in the commands there.
???How can I use the onscreen console again???
Praetorian
ScummVM Developer

Re: no onscreen console

Post by Praetorian »

slx wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 4:43 am OS: Windows 10
I have to press Ctrl+d to bring up the onscreen console (debugger) to type in for example the 'room' command in the older ScummVM verisons.
In the Windows versions of the ScummVM 2.1.0 and v2.1.1 (x64) versions the ScummVM switch to the 'ScummVM Status Windows'
and It says 'Debugger entered, please switch to this console for input'
and I have to type in the commands there.
???How can I use the onscreen console again???
As far as I can tell, this is because of a specific build configuration option which the scummvm release executable was built with (--enable-text-console).

So, for now, a workaround would be to use one of the development daily builds instead that are not configured with this option.
https://buildbot.scummvm.org/builds.html
slx

Post by slx »

Thank you for you answer and your help!
Please, put back the onscreen control into the newest version or make it choosable which one would like to use by the user.
rootfather
ScummVM Lead

Post by rootfather »

Hi slx,

thanks a lot for your report!

The reason for this issue is a mistake that happened to me while building the release builds of ScummVM 2.1.1 for Windows. The flag for using the text console shouldn't have been applied to the release builds, so this change was not intentional.

I'll see how we can best resolve this issue. For now, please use the buildbot nightlies as mentioned by Praetorian.
rootfather
ScummVM Lead

Post by rootfather »

We just published ScummVM 2.1.1a for Windows which includes the necessary fixes to restore the old behavior.

You can either update from the official 2.1.1 to 2.1.1a via the WinSparkle updates or re-install it manually from https://www.scummvm.org/downloads/.