Need Help with Discworld II

Ask for help with ScummVM problems

Moderator: ScummVM Team

ConcordeHedgehog

Need Help with Discworld II

Post by ConcordeHedgehog »

I'm not the most technical person so im unsure what to do in this case but occassionally Discworld 2 keeps crashing and when I scroll to desktop to close ScummVM, this appears in the command window that runs alongside the game.

https://imgur.com/gallery/UYbX9vB

I've ran Discworld 2 in the past without any trouble but now this keeps happening part way through the character Rincwind performing an action and the game just freezes and scrolling back to Desktop brings this up. Can anyone plese tell me what to do to fix this, i miss playing this game but i cant keep playing like this.
dreammaster
ScummVM Developer

Re: Need Help with Discworld II

Post by dreammaster »

This sounds like the same bug listed here. The current assumption is that there's a bug when you skip cutscenes that can result in the sound reel(s) being used not being properly released at the end, resulting in later game crashes when it tries to use more sound reels for new cutscenes than whatever's left. So for now, you may be able to avoid problems by not skipping any. Otherwise, I plan to have a look at it when I have some significant free time.. I suspect that it'll be complicated to figure out, and maybe require looking back at how the original game did things, maybe even manually try and debug the original in a debugger. I'm not looking forward to it :(
ConcordeHedgehog

Post by ConcordeHedgehog »

Ok from what I read in that Link, It is exactly as it happened to me. When I went to collect the chicken by using the corn with the beer and used the beer soaked corn on the chicken is exactly when this crash happened. Also the same occured also what was mentioned when using the Bricked possessed by the Fool on the Accelerater in the High Energy Facility so we know for sure it seems to happen at those 2 points in the game and maybe more? But I have been skipping dialogue with the ESC key to speed up in the game whilst gathering screenshots for sprites etc for making my own personal walkthough so that also may add to the problem but the fact the same parts of the game mentioned by others occurs with my playthrough too can't be coincidence.
Giraffe

Post by Giraffe »

I started a new game, didn't skip any dialogue, and the game crashed when I tried to grab the chicken. Started another new game, skipped every cutscene and dialogue and that time it didn't crash when grabbing the chicken.