MacOS Catalina support?

Ask for help with ScummVM problems

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Muyfa666

MacOS Catalina support?

Post by Muyfa666 »

I just updated to MacOS Catalina, and the only thing my Mac reports as incompatible is ScummVM.

Are there any x64 builds available for ScummVM??
sev
ScummVM Lead

Re: MacOS Catalina support?

Post by sev »

Yes, our buildbot builds 64-bit Mac binaries.

Eugene
criezy
ScummVM Developer

Post by criezy »

And the official releases on https://www.scummvm.org/downloads/ are also available in 64 bits.
MacDragon

Post by MacDragon »

The buildbot I'm pretty sure only does 32bit atm? There was a post a month ago noting complications making it do 64bit due to crosscompilation platform.

--Just checked by downloading latest dev build and buildbot is indeed still providing 32bit as far as I see ( and previous ref mentioned viewtopic.php?f=2&t=14936&p=87638&hilit=catalina#p87638 )

The official releases are available in compatible 64bit though as noted.
Muyfa666

Post by Muyfa666 »

Sweet, thanks!

The official release seem to work fine. :-)

As MacDragon points out thou, the buildbot doesn't seem to build 64-bit binaries for MacOS.

How to get around that? Can I do the build myself, or is it something the ScummVM devs would have to fix?
sev
ScummVM Lead

Post by sev »

The buildbot has been building 64-bit macOS binaries since September 18, that includes nightly builds.

Eugene
Muyfa666

Post by Muyfa666 »

Ok, then obviously I'm doing something wrong, because the nightly and stable builds I download are 32-bit and incompatible.
sev
ScummVM Lead

Post by sev »

Do you mean, this link: https://buildbot.scummvm.org/snapshots/ ... est.tar.xz Could you please check once again?

Eugene
Muyfa666

Post by Muyfa666 »

You fixed the links. Nice!

However, neither the stable or the master build runs on Catalina. Both errors out.
MacDragon

Post by MacDragon »

Ah, yes, now link shows on download page, good to see.

And latest daily build is working for me on catalina.
Muyfa666

Post by Muyfa666 »

Weird. I can't get it to work. "ScummVM can not be opened because of a problem." No real explanation on what the problem might be.
criezy
ScummVM Developer

Post by criezy »

I just tried this build and it works for me as well. However I noticed that it has a dependency to the dynamic library for SDL2 without including it into the package. That means that if you do not have this library already on your system ScummVM will not start. I suspect this is the issue you are having. I have now made a change on buildbot, which I think should fix this issue (forcing the build to use the static library instead of the dynamic one for SDL2). So hopefully the next daily build will work.
criezy
ScummVM Developer

Post by criezy »

My change didn't work, so don't bother trying to use the new daily build. I will try to fix this this evening.
Muyfa666

Post by Muyfa666 »

As of right now, the builds still doesn't work for me. I have tried to install SDL2 framework on my mac, but that doesn't help either. Really frustrating.

Can you tell me what all the dependencies ScummVM needs for Mac are? I'm a PC-person at heart, but I need to get this running on my Mac too. :-(
criezy
ScummVM Developer

Post by criezy »

Yes, as I indicated just before you post my change yesterday did not work and I am planning to look at this again this evening. My change actually broke the build, which means that the latest build available is still the one from yesterday.

The only dependency that should be an issue is for libSDL2-2.0.0.dylib (which needs to be SDL2 2.0.10 - older versions will not work). But indeed installing the SDL2 framework might not help, or at least not work out of the box (as it is build as a framework and not a dynamic library).

The official 2.1.0 release is coming very soon as well, and I already have the package ready. You can get it from https://www.scummvm.org/frs/scummvm/2.1 ... macosx.dmg