Standards for replacing old screenshots

Ask for help with ScummVM problems

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Scarlatti

Standards for replacing old screenshots

Post by Scarlatti »

There is now a request at the wiki for replacement screenshots, mainly for new shots at the native 320x200 resolution with aspect correction - making them 320x240. I tried to take a few with the latest Windows build, and the resulting image was quite ugly: when aspect correction is used, therefore horizontally stretching the picture, the fonts and graphics appear distorted with uneven pixels.

I'm playing computer games since 1993, and I'm quite sure they never looked that bad. I'm left wondering if that is the expected outcome, or if it is some bug ? I'd like to know before starting to submit those replacement images.
MusicallyInspired

Re: Standards for replacing old screenshots

Post by MusicallyInspired »

Aspect correction definitely isn't supposed to horizontally stretch the picture. It's supposed to be the opposite with "tall pixels." However, it still might have uneven pixel heights unless your output game resolution is 1600x1200 (5x) which is the resolution where aspect ratio correction looks nicest with perfect even-sized pixels. It would look like this (click for full image):

Scarlatti

Post by Scarlatti »

The 320x240 image taken with Alt+S, the screenshot itself without scalers and with aspect correction (as requested in the wiki) always comes out distorted to me. Maybe it is a bug or something like that.
MusicallyInspired

Post by MusicallyInspired »

This shot was taken with DOSBox and then upscaled to 1600x1200 by me afterward. Just showing what it SHOULD look like. I don't know what results the ScummVM screenshot output actually yields. Might indeed be a bug.