Manhole Enhanced - unable to launch via command line

Ask for help with ScummVM problems

Moderator: ScummVM Team

scoriae

Manhole Enhanced - unable to launch via command line

Post by scoriae »

It appears that the manhole enhanced (short name: manhole-cd) is unable to be called via command line in both 2.0.0 and as of last night's SVN (win32).

However, if I start scummvm, add the game to it, and then call it via command line, it now works (exact same command line).

This is the command line I have in my front end:
".\scummvm\scummvm.exe" -p.\games\manholee\ manhole-cd
scoriae

Re: Manhole Enhanced - unable to launch via command line

Post by scoriae »

glad to see such a strong response to this ;)
criezy
ScummVM Developer

Post by criezy »

When a game is added to ScummVM, you can start it on the command line using either the game ID (predefined name that exists even if the game has not been added) or the target name (the name that you can see in the ScummVM GUI after adding the game, and that is unhelpfully labelled ID). For example for Return to Zork the ID is "rtz", but if you add the game the target may be named "rtz" (for the floppy version), "rtz-cd" (for the CD version), or even "rtz-cd-1" (if you add the CD version a second time).

But since the target name only exists after you have added a game to ScummVM, it cannot be used if the game has not yet been added. In that case only the game ID will work. I don't have The Manhole, but looking at the code the ID seems to be "manhole". So the following should work:

Code: Select all

".\scummvm\scummvm.exe" -p.\games\manholee\ manhole
There is also a generic "made" ID defined. I am not sure what it is for, but it might work as well.

You can also see the game ID for a game using the --detect option:

".\scummvm\scummvm.exe" -p.\games\manholee\ --detect
And you don't even need to know the ID name in most cases as you can let ScummVM detect the game and start it with --auto-detect:

".\scummvm\scummvm.exe" -p.\games\manholee\ --audo-detect
scoriae

Post by scoriae »

It appears it will detect properly with "manhole" in the latest svn builds. The official 2.0 build crashes out.