Choosing a A Game to Run

Ask for help with ScummVM problems

Moderator: ScummVM Team

malling711

Choosing a A Game to Run

Post by malling711 »

I am trying to run Backyard Baseball 2001 on my MacBook Pro 2011. I downloaded ScummVM version 2.0.0. Once downloaded, I opened and clicked AddGame. I then selected the folder which I had copied the Backyard Baseball files over to. My problem is once I hit "Choose" nothing happens. It almost seems to be frozen. I have left it for up to an hour before, thinking it may just be loading but have had no luck. Have you heard of this issue before? Any suggestions?
criezy
ScummVM Developer

Re: Choosing a A Game to Run

Post by criezy »

You probably encountered the issue described int this thread. It happens randomly, and until now I have been unable to consistently reproduce it on my mac and to track the root of the issue.

If you download the latest development build for Mac OS X from buildbot it may work (or not, since the issue appears to be random), and more importantly there is a new options (in the Misc tab of the Options dialog) to use the ScummVM built-in file browser instead of the one from the system, and this should bypass the issue and allow you to add your game.

The other workaround, that will also work with the 2.0.0 release, is to add the game using the command line. To do so:
  1. Open the Terminal application.
  2. Drag and Drop the ScummVM application on the Terminal window. This will write the path to ScummVM.
  3. Remove the space at the end of the line and add (without the quotes) '/Contents/MacOS/scummvm --add --path=/path/to/your/game'.
Obviously you need to use the correct path to the directory where you copied the files for the game. The easiest way to add the correct path is just to drag and drop the game folder on the Terminal instead of typing the path manually.
The line in the Terminal should be similar to the one below (the line below assumes that ScummVM is in your Applications folder, but it may be somewhere else for you, and your game files are probably somewhere else as well):

Code: Select all

/Applications/ScummVM.app/Contents/MacOS/scummvm --add --path=/Applications/Games/BackyardBaseball
Press return to execute the command and add the game to ScummVM. Once this is done you can start ScummVM normally and you should see your game in the list of added games.
malling711

Post by malling711 »

Thank you for the advice, unfortunately it still did not work.
The latest development on buildbot did not change anything.
I switched over to the ScummVM built-in file browser and still had the same issue before. It still froze up when I hit "choose"
Lastly I tried adding by using the command line as you suggested. Below is what I entered in the Terminal application followed by the response I got:
*****MacBook-Pro-3:-**********/Applications/ScummVM.app/Contents/MacOS/scummvm --add --path=/Applications/Backyard/Baseball
Added 0 Games
Consider Using --recursive to search inside subdirectories

Anything additional I could try?
Raziel
ScummVM Porter

Post by Raziel »

Could you post your /Applications/Backyard/Baseball dir and maybe do an md5sum on them?

There may be files missing or corrupted?

You need to at least have these files to get ScummVM to recognize the game

Backyard Baseball

Macintosh

BaseBall (0)
BaseBall (1)
BaseBall (2)
BaseBall (4)
BaseBall (9)
malling711

Post by malling711 »

I have the following files

Baseball (0)
Baseball (2)
Baseball (4)
Baseball (9)
Baseball (a)
Baseball (b)

There is no Baseball (1) and I copied these files directly from the disc. This is the second BYB 2001 disc I have tried copying files from and each have the same files (no Baseball 1 file).
criezy
ScummVM Developer

Post by criezy »

The list provided by Raziel is for the macintosh version of the first Backyard Baseball game. For the macintosh version of Backyard Baseball 2001, I think the detection code expects to see a "Baseball 2001 (0)" file (and "baseball2001.he0" for the PC version of the game). And the other files should have the same naming scheme, such as "Baseball 2001 (2)" and "Baseball 2001 (4)".

Do the files on your CDs really not have this "2001" in their names?
malling711

Post by malling711 »

Yes, apologies. I forgot to add the 2001. I have the files below.

Baseball 2001 (0)
Baseball 2001 (2)
Baseball 2001 (4)
Baseball 2001 (9)
Baseball 2001 (a)
Baseball 2001 (b)

Notice though how I don't have Baseball 2001 (1), but have 2 others instead. I copied the files directly from the disc, so I actually have about 20 files total in the Backyard Baseball folder I created.
criezy
ScummVM Developer

Post by criezy »

I don't have the game, and I don't know exactly which files it needs. But I think the detection only uses the "Baseball 2001 (0)" file anyway. I don't really know why it doesn't work for you.
Some random ideas:
  • Are all the game files are directly in the /Applications/Backyard/Baseball folder and not in subdirectories? All the files should be in the same folder, and this is the folder you should be using when trying to add the game.
  • Is this the English version of the game?
  • Does the following command find something?

/Applications/ScummVM.app/Contents/MacOS/scummvm --detect --recursive --path=/Applications/Backyard/Baseball
malling711

Post by malling711 »

Yes, all of the files are directly in the Backyard Baseball folder.
Yes, the game is in English.
I tried the command you suggested and it generated the response below:
Warning: scummvm could not find any game in **********
Warning: Consider Using --path=<path> *before* --add or --detect to specify a directory
Warning: Consider Using --recursive *before* --add or --detect to search inside subdirectories
criezy
ScummVM Developer

Post by criezy »

And did you try what the warning tells you to do? :wink:

I forgot that in ScummVM 2.0.0, you indeed had to provide the path before the --add option (this is no longer the case in more recent versions). So the two commands I gave should have been

/Applications/ScummVM.app/Contents/MacOS/scummvm --path=/Applications/Backyard/Baseball --add
/Applications/ScummVM.app/Contents/MacOS/scummvm --recursive --path=/Applications/Backyard/Baseball --detect
But no, other than that I am unfortunately out of ideas.
malling711

Post by malling711 »

That last command worked! Up and running.

Thanks!