Inherit The Earth Crashes

Ask for help with ScummVM problems

Moderator: ScummVM Team

GusCE6

Inherit The Earth Crashes

Post by GusCE6 »

When you reach the scene with the leader of the Rat Tribe trying to talk to him or look at objects can cause a crash. The message varies somewhat.

This has occurred on both 2001 Sony and 2012 ASUS, so it's not limited to a particular device.

It also happens with both MS-DOS version and the Steam version.

I took a couple of screenshots, in this case the messages were the same:
Attachments
MS-DOS version.
MS-DOS version.
Inherit The Earth SCUMMVM Defect (MS-DOS).JPG (147.56 KiB) Viewed 2008 times
Steam version.
Steam version.
Inherit The Earth SCUMMVM Defect (Steam).JPG (147.13 KiB) Viewed 2008 times
digitall
ScummVM Developer

Re: Inherit The Earth Crashes

Post by digitall »

This is a known bug: https://bugs.scummvm.org/ticket/10365

I have posted a large amount of technical analysis of why this happens, but the fix is not clear and pending on a SAGA engine developer to fix. Patches are welcome...
GusCE6

Re: Inherit The Earth Crashes

Post by GusCE6 »

I should have mentioned: The 2001 Sony is a Windows XP Home Edition device, and the ASUS is a much more powerful Windows 8 device. So they have entirely different Operating Systems and drivers.

Also, ScummVM on the Sony uses Swiftshader 2.01 OR 3-D Analyze. The crash still occurs. Neither is used on the ASUS so that is not the problem.

Mainly, I like the Fullscreen option ScummVM offers, unlike DOSBox. You cannot get true Fullscreen with DOSBox on the Sony; all that happens is the window is centered on a black screen.

Luckily the Steam version works well by itself- as long as SwiftShader is included.

But the tip on how to avoid the crash may be very useful- thanks for the link!

:)