Full screen without increasing resolution

Ask for help with ScummVM problems

Moderator: ScummVM Team

ps3d

Full screen without increasing resolution

Post by ps3d »

So I'm psyched to be able to run Riven again on ScummVM, but one thing I haven't figured out yet in ScummVM (for Riven mostly but would be nice for other games); a way to keep the original resolution running full screen (black background) without blowing up to full size to fit the monitor, because the grainy QuickTime videos look iffy enough even on that resolution (I don't know if this is a ScummVM problem or a Windows problem, as I was used to the Mac version).

Yes, I do have the original discs from 1997 in my possession and can show you a time-stamped photo if there's an issue. The 1997 version has the classic Red Orb intro (a label used by Brøderbund in the late 1990s), which I don't think even the GOG version does. [EDIT: Scratch that. I seem to have misplaced the discs, might have sent them back home.]
digitall
ScummVM Developer

Post by digitall »

http://wiki.scummvm.org/index.php/User_ ... re_ScummVM

In either Global "Options" or Game specific Graphics Options, set Graphics Mode to "Normal (Unscaled)" and set Fullscreen to enabled. I think that _should_ work.
digitall
ScummVM Developer

Post by digitall »

Damn. Just did some testing with this, and even with Stretch Mode set to Center, I can't get the "original resolution" at fullscreen with black background mode output i.e. it is still stretching...

I suspect that you would need to look at a patch for our graphics backend to fix this. I am not sure when this got broken, but maybe file a bug at bugs.scummvm.org ...
criezy
ScummVM Developer

Post by criezy »

Using the Center stretch mode should do what you want. And I just tried it and it works for me.

digitall: is it possible that it switches to a different resolution when you go to fullscreen (and thus the graphics card would do some additional stretching))? With OpenGL it should use by default the desktop resolution, but this can be changed, and the last resolution used is saved in the config.ini and reused the next time. With other graphics mode it should use the desktop resolution as long as you are using SDL2 (with SDL 1.2, SDL graphics mode were changing the screen resolution when switching to fullscreen).

Note: The stretch mode options was not yet present in version 2.0.0. So to use it you need a recent daily build.
digitall
ScummVM Developer

Post by digitall »

Hmm... Not sure, but it certainly didn't do what I expected.

This is one reason I don't tend to run fullscreen regularly i.e. I just use OpenGL and Maximise window.

As you say, this could be an issue in my system SDL library, Graphics Card / Driver... Sigh.
digitall
ScummVM Developer

Post by digitall »

criezy: This might be relevant. One of the pending commits in the ZGI videos pull request:
https://github.com/scummvm/scummvm/pull ... 52625dd6ef
digitall
ScummVM Developer

Post by digitall »

ps3d: You might want to try with the next nightly build as this may now work...
ps3d

Post by ps3d »

I tried the nightly download but it still didn't want to cooperate. Full screen even had the "top pixels from the taskbar" problem I've seen crop up occasionally, at least initially. I also tried fiddling around with my actual graphics card settings (I use AMD...) to force full screen behaviors. I used Monkey Island 2 as a control.

When in "Center" mode, MI2 used the size (1x, 2x) as a guideline when it went full screen but was confined to the upper left side of the screen. Riven ignored that and stretched out (it was difficult to reset, as Riven running in ScummVM lacks a way to go back to the main launcher). It's worth fiddling with but not now...
MusicallyInspired

Post by MusicallyInspired »

ps3d wrote:(it was difficult to reset, as Riven running in ScummVM lacks a way to go back to the main launcher
Ctrl+F5 works for me...
ps3d

Re: Full screen without increasing resolution

Post by ps3d »

Just wanted to drop by and after putting it off for some time, full screen, no resolution change has been achieved! It's full screen, "Center", and Normal scaling.

I even made an alias that works perfectly fine with these properties:

"C:\Program Files\ScummVM\scummvm.exe" -f --stretch-mode=CENTER riven-win