Applying a game offical patch

Ask for help with ScummVM problems

Moderator: ScummVM Team

cachaito

Applying a game offical patch

Post by cachaito »

Hello fellow gamers!

Sometimes given game (in my case The Bizarre Adventures of Woodruff and the Schnibble) installer doesn't work on newer system (it was designed for Windows 95) so I need to add game from CD. As far I know, only save files are kept on hard disk. But in this case I cannot overwrite installed WOODRUFF.EXE with patched version. I tried to point patch unpacked files in `Edit Game` -> `Paths` -> `Extra path` folder but ScummVM doesn't get executable from there.

Is there any way for apply a game patch when ScummVM runs game straight from CD?

[EDIT] I know that for this particular game we can find a great new installer and install game on disk in proper way but wanted to ask in other, less clear cases.
Last edited by cachaito on Sat Feb 01, 2020 1:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
corpse

Post by corpse »

Hi,

In most cases (if not all) scummvm does not use the exe file to run the game, it uses the data files. Any bug fixes provided by patches, should be in the scummvm code unless a better fix has been applied.

See here for a list of required files:

http://wiki.scummvm.org/index.php/Datafiles

Thanks
criezy
ScummVM Developer

Post by criezy »

Also we usually recommend copying the data file to the hard disk rather than running the game straight from CD, even when that is possible.
cachaito

Post by cachaito »

criezy wrote:Also we usually recommend copying the data file to the hard disk rather than running the game straight from CD, even when that is possible.
Hi guys! But what in case of old Windows 95 software with installer that is not supported by new Windows system? Just copy needed files from list?
Raziel
ScummVM Porter

Post by Raziel »

Exactly
dreammaster
ScummVM Developer

Post by dreammaster »

Presuming all the needed files are directly present on the CD. This page on the wiki has some information about some of the special cases.