Scummvm Tools And Cruise for a Corpse Error

Ask for help with ScummVM problems

Moderator: ScummVM Team

micartu

Scummvm Tools And Cruise for a Corpse Error

Post by micartu »

I'm trying to use the "extract" function with the d1 d2 d3 d4 archives of Cruise for a Corpse.
The italian translation of the game was ill-famed back at the time: Delphine realized it without knowing the language. For example they translated the main title "Cruise for a corpse" with "Crociata per un cadavere", where the word Crociata it mean Crusade. Crusade for a Corpse hahah not bad, and it was only the main title.

i want to make a new italian translation of the game, so i was trying to extract the d1,d2,d3,d4,d5 archives with the "cruise for a corpse" scummvm tools extract function. But it doesn't work. I've tried the english floppy version, the french version, the italian version and the cd multilanguage version.
Maybe the extract function for this game is broken?
criezy
ScummVM Developer

Re: Scummvm Tools And Cruise for a Corpse Error

Post by criezy »

I just tried it and the extraction for cine games is indeed partially broken: it only works when run from the directory that contains the game files. This means you need to use the command line tool (scummvm-tools-cli) and run it from the directory that contains your game data.

I will fix that for the next release.
Edit: This is now fixed.
micartu

Post by micartu »

Thank you for the attention, but it's still broken.
I mean in the windows gui version.
When i select "extract" the game selection menu it's disappeared, if i choose "advanced", and then "extract cruise_pc" it says: "Fatal Error Occurred: Invalid file signature"
and in red "Tool ended with errors"

I think that the "cine" function is for future wars, not Cruise for a corpse, but like you said it's working now under this voice. But what it does "extract-cruise-pc"?
criezy
ScummVM Developer

Post by criezy »

I completely forgot that we had a extract_cruise_pc tool. It is actually not mentioned anywhere on our wiki or in our README files, and I have no idea what it does. It doesn't seem to be able to extract anything from any of the files from my DOS version. When reading files it expects them to start with a specific header, and the error you get ("Invalid file signature"), which is the same one I get, indicates that it doesn't find that header (which means the file doesn't have the expected format).

The extract_cine tool was indeed designed for the earlier Cine games, but by some luck it also works with Cruise for a Corpse. If you look at the notes for the Cine engines on our wiki, you will see that one of the few things that were kept for the later engine used by Cruise for a corpse is the resource loading/unpacking.

Note: I just noticed that there is still a bug in extract_cine. It is supposed to extract all files if you run it on the VOL.CNF. But it errors out after the first archive. So for now you need to run it on each archive (D1 to D5) independently.
criezy
ScummVM Developer

Post by criezy »

I found the answer on our bug tracker: https://sourceforge.net/p/scummvm/bugs/4584/

The extract_cruise_pc tool extracts E1, E4 and E5 files found in some versions of the game.
micartu

Post by micartu »

Thanks a lot for your support! Now i can try to create a compressor, so when i'll have translated the game i'll repack the archives.
Buddha
ScummVM Developer

Post by Buddha »

micartu wrote:Thanks a lot for your support! Now i can try to create a compressor, so when i'll have translated the game i'll repack the archives.
You can find the compression format at http://wiki.scummvm.org/index.php/Cine/ ... ion_format ... using that it should be possible to create a compressor. Or you can also take a look at the decompressor's source code https://github.com/scummvm/scummvm/blob ... e/unpack.h and https://github.com/scummvm/scummvm/blob ... unpack.cpp
scandy

Post by scandy »

micartu wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2017 9:15 pm Thanks a lot for your support! Now i can try to create a compressor, so when i'll have translated the game i'll repack the archives.
Ciao Micartu,
do you have any update? I'd like to help (sono Antiriad sul forum OGI, ho provato a scriverti ma avevi la inbox piena ;)
Thanks!