Maniac Mansion in Day of the Tentacle (ScummVM v1.8.0)

Ask for help with ScummVM problems

Moderator: ScummVM Team

spiffythedog

Maniac Mansion in Day of the Tentacle (ScummVM v1.8.0)

Post by spiffythedog »

I'm having trouble trying to play Maniac Mansion (DOS v1) within the CD version of Day of the Tentacle. I've done as the current readme instructed, placing all the necessary files into a 'MANIAC' subfolder within the DOTTCD folder, as well as adding Maniac Mansion to my ScummVM games database and ensuring that the Game Path points to the aforementioned 'MANIAC' subfolder within DOTT's main folder. I even changed DOTT's Extra Path to point towards the the 'MANIAC' subfolder just to see if it would do anything. However, nothing seems to work and I keep getting the same message/error whenever I interact with Wierd Ed's computer within the game.

Does ScummVM require a specific file structure or folder labeling system in order for this feature to work?
wjp
ScummVM Developer

Post by wjp »

Can you copy-paste the entries for DOTT and MANIAC from your ScummVM config file?
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Re: Maniac Mansion in Day of the Tentacle (ScummVM v1.8.0)

Post by eriktorbjorn »

spiffythedog wrote: Does ScummVM require a specific file structure or folder labeling system in order for this feature to work?
What it does is to take the path for the current game (i.e. Day of the Tentacle), and then it looks for another game where the path starts with the same path. It removes all the characters of that path, plus one to include the directory separator, and checks if what remains is "maniac". That comparison is case-insensitive, so it could say "Maniac", or "MANIAC", or whatever.

In other words, as long as "maniac" is a sub-folder in your Day of the Tentacle folder, it should have worked. The only thing I can think of off-hand is if the path it got for Day of the Tentacle already included a separator at the end, so it was left with "aniac" afterwards. You could probably test that theory by renaming the folder "MManiac", or something like that.

If nothing else works, you could add the line "easter_egg=the target name for Maniac Mansion" to the Day of the Tentacle section of the ScummVM configuration file, but I was hoping you wouldn't have to...
spiffythedog

Post by spiffythedog »

Sure can:

[tentacle]

description=Day of the Tentacle (CD/English)

mute=false

speech_volume=192

native_mt32=true

talkspeed=60

extrapath=D:\Games\ScummVM\Day of the Tentacle CD\MANIAC\

path=D:\Games\ScummVM\Day of the Tentacle CD\

subtitles=true

gameid=tentacle

language=en

output_rate=48000

sfx_volume=192

music_volume=243

music_driver=windows_MT-32 Synth Emulator

opl_driver=auto

guioptions= lang_English

speech_mute=false

enable_gs=false

[maniac-v1]

description=Maniac Mansion (V1/DOS/English)

talkspeed=60

path=D:\Games\ScummVM\Day of the Tentacle CD\MANIAC\

subtitles=true

gameid=maniac

language=en

platform=pc

music_driver=auto

opl_driver=auto

speech_mute=true

guioptions=sndNoSpeech sndNoMIDI lang_English
wjp
ScummVM Developer

Post by wjp »

plus one to include the directory separator
It looks like that logic might be broken if the DOTT game path already includes the separator?
spiffythedog

Re: Maniac Mansion in Day of the Tentacle (ScummVM v1.8.0)

Post by spiffythedog »

eriktorbjorn wrote:
spiffythedog wrote: Does ScummVM require a specific file structure or folder labeling system in order for this feature to work?
What it does is to take the path for the current game (i.e. Day of the Tentacle), and then it looks for another game where the path starts with the same path. It removes all the characters of that path, plus one to include the directory separator, and checks if what remains is "maniac". That comparison is case-insensitive, so it could say "Maniac", or "MANIAC", or whatever.

In other words, as long as "maniac" is a sub-folder in your Day of the Tentacle folder, it should have worked. The only thing I can think of off-hand is if the path it got for Day of the Tentacle already included a separator at the end, so it was left with "aniac" afterwards. You could probably test that theory by renaming the folder "MManiac", or something like that.

If nothing else works, you could add the line "easter_egg=the target name for Maniac Mansion" to the Day of the Tentacle section of the ScummVM configuration file, but I was hoping you wouldn't have to...
Added the 'easter_egg' line in the config file and it worked like a charm (can also load the EGA remake as well)!

Cheers!
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

wjp wrote:
plus one to include the directory separator
It looks like that logic might be broken if the DOTT game path already includes the separator?
It seems that's the case in the Windows version of ScummVM, but not in the Linux one. I naively assumed it would work the same way in both. I think I have fixed it now, both in the trunk and in the 1.8 branch, in case we release ScummVM 1.8.1.