language in broken sword 2.5

Ask for help with ScummVM problems

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Telev

language in broken sword 2.5

Post by Telev »

Hi,

How to make the game with english voice and french subtitles ?
I tried to modify the language files (is a zip file), but scummvm check the integrity of this file.
So, the game is in dutch voices and french subtitle. i prefer the english voices.

thanks for your help
Mustrum

Post by Mustrum »

First:
Broken Sword 2.5 is default German (voice with subtitles) not Dutch. ;)

Second:
This workaround was a little bit tricky, but works with ScummVM (hope).

Rename the file extension from lang_en.b25c and lang_fr.b25c from *.b25c to *.zip

Unpack the file lang_en.zip in empty folder (lang_fr/) same with lang_fr.zip (lang_en/).

Rename the file /lang_fr/text/fr.lua to /lang_fr/text/en.lua and copy this file into the the English folder /lang_en/text/

Then mark the folder rooms and text, zip this with the file name lang_en. Rename lang_fr.zip to lang_fr.b25c.

Start ScummVM, add new Game and choose this game folder. Pick Broken Sword 2.5 (English)

You have now English voice with French text/subtitles.
criezy
ScummVM Developer

Post by criezy »

For your information I added an option in ScummVM to use English voices instead of German ones when selecting a language other than those two in the game. This does not allow using German voices with English text or English voices with German text. But this for example allow using English voices with French text.

This will be available in the next release and can also be used in daily builds (starting with the next one tomorrow morning).

Ideally I would have liked to add a voice language option separate from the UI and subtitle language selection. Such ash option would allow to use for example English voices with German text. But while hacking the engine to allow this would be easy (that is actually what I initially implemented), displaying such an option in the user interface would be much more work.
Telev

Post by Telev »