Can´t give Clay mold to Sam (Gabriel Knight 1)

Ask for help with ScummVM problems

Moderator: ScummVM Team

JPRuehmann

Can´t give Clay mold to Sam (Gabriel Knight 1)

Post by JPRuehmann »

Hello can anyone help me to activate and give the Clay Mold to Sam?
If I Click on it in the Inventory it won´t be activated, instead of it the Hair Gel gets Activated.
What can I do?
clone2727
Retired

Post by clone2727 »

Play it in DOSBox. The game isn't supported right now.
CaptainJei

Post by CaptainJei »

I second what clone said; however, I remember when I played through it last time with ScummVM that the inventory icons get a bit jumbled up as you amass them. Try selecting different inventory items, and one of them will hopefully by the clay mold, even though it may not look like it in the inventory.
md5
ScummVM Developer

Post by md5 »

CaptainJei wrote:I second what clone said; however, I remember when I played through it last time with ScummVM that the inventory icons get a bit jumbled up as you amass them. Try selecting different inventory items, and one of them will hopefully by the clay mold, even though it may not look like it in the inventory.
That particular bug should be fixed
clone2727
Retired

Post by clone2727 »

md5 wrote:That particular bug should be fixed
Well, "fixed". You hacked around it and then hacked around that with another hack.
md5
ScummVM Developer

Post by md5 »

clone2727 wrote:
md5 wrote:That particular bug should be fixed
Well, "fixed". You hacked around it and then hacked around that with another hack.
I said *this* particular bug. If you checked the code more thoroughly, you would have seen that the overlapping inventory items bug was caused by a missing feature - a flag that we weren't handling. You are more than welcome to rewrite the SCI32 graphics code, if you have the time.
clone2727
Retired

Post by clone2727 »

md5 wrote:I said *this* particular bug. If you checked the code more thoroughly, you would have seen that the overlapping inventory items bug was caused by a missing feature - a flag that we weren't handling. You are more than welcome to rewrite the SCI32 graphics code, if you have the time.
I'm quite aware of that one. The inventory was fixed, then broken, then hacked around.

I won't work on SCI (except under special circumstances, like Mac sound) since it stopped being enjoyable.
digitall
ScummVM Developer

Post by digitall »

JPRuehmann: Although we normally don't accept bug reports on WIP engines such as SCI32, as this appears to be a regression, could you please file a bug report on this on the tracker?
http://sourceforge.net/p/scummvm/bugs/

If you could attach a savegame just prior to getting the mold in Day Three and at the point of the bug you are seeing that would help to debug this.

It would probably also be useful to play through with v1.6.0 and v1.5.0 to the same point from a clean new game and see if the problem occurs there as well... and provide the earlier version savegames to allow bisection.

Thanks.
clone2727
Retired

Post by clone2727 »

digitall wrote:JPRuehmann: Although we normally don't accept bug reports on WIP engines such as SCI32, as this appears to be a regression, could you please file a bug report on this on the tracker?
http://sourceforge.net/p/scummvm/bugs/

If you could attach a savegame just prior to getting the mold in Day Three and at the point of the bug you are seeing that would help to debug this.
A regression on code that needs to be rewritten, as md5 said.
digitall wrote:It would probably also be useful to play through with v1.6.0 and v1.5.0 to the same point from a clean new game and see if the problem occurs there as well... and provide the earlier version savegames to allow bisection.
With SCI32 disabled?
digitall
ScummVM Developer

Post by digitall »

A regression which according to md5 should not be happening... maybe it is might be a good idea to track down why and when it was introduced.

Ah, Mea Culpa. So that means JPRuehmann must either be using a nightly build or building his own code, so would hopefully be capable of checking out the v1.5.0 and v1.6.0 source and doing a build to test with and produce savegames from.

In any case, tracking this with a formal bug with attached savegames to aid investigation would help this get fixed.

If you don't want to work on this that is fine...
JPRuehmann

Post by JPRuehmann »

Thanks for your answers.
I too think that a rewrite would be the best, because there are a lot of problems in other games to. Such as Gabriel Knight 2 (examining Documents) and KQVII only partly working (Menus).
But the hope dies last.

And I´ve posted a Bug as you requested.

Thanks,
JPR
md5
ScummVM Developer

Post by md5 »

JPRuehmann wrote:Thanks for your answers.
I too think that a rewrite would be the best, because there are a lot of problems in other games to. Such as Gabriel Knight 2 (examining Documents) and KQVII only partly working (Menus).
But the hope dies last.

And I´ve posted a Bug as you requested.

Thanks,
JPR
Yes, we know there are a lot of problems, which is why these games are NOT suported. The graphics code we have is the result of:
- testing things to see what has changed with SCI2, SCI21 and SCI3
- testing if the current SCI kernel implementation can support SCI2, SCI21 and SCI3 games. Right now, only SCI2 and SCI21 are supported at kernel level
- testing the new way that text is drawn in SCI2 and SCI21
- testing the way that strings and arrays are handled in SCI2 and SCI21
- testing how robot files (in-game animations) work
- testing the new way that saving is done in some games (e.g. Phantasmagoria and Shivers)
- testing how objects are organized and hidden in SCI2 and SCI21
- testing how palette blending works in SCI2 and SCI21
- testing how the inventory scrolls in SCI2 and SCI21
- testing odd kernel functions that are rarely used

So, yes, this has all been developed for testing the current engine, and NOT for production use. For a long time, we did not have a reference point for SCI2 and newer games. We now do as a result of massive work done by several people on a specific game executable. However, writing all this properly is a massive and major task, and is definitely going to take awhile, so don't hold your breath.